TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fairport by Fairport'  (Read 257330 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »

Thanks for your thoughts, Andy.  I'll wait until I see a cheap/second hand copy I think.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2012, 10:02:42 AM »

Virtually no negativity. Truths about various events that I know (albeit third hand, from reliable sources) are ignored in favour of very much a fan's point of view being used by the author.

That's what I was alluding to in my earlier post when I said I did not think that Nigel Schofield was that kind of a writer (or actually, imho, judging from the Free Reed books, much of a writer at all). It is, as you say, strictly a fan's eye approach and he is far too close to his subject but then, I suspect that is why he has been chosen for the job. He is safe and was never likely to dig too deep or expose old wounds. It might certainly have been more interesting if, for example, Patrick Humphries had been given the gig.

I don't have the book yet and am still looking forward to it but it sounds as though my suspicions are confirmed and that the lack of emotional insight identified by the Mojo review is indeed the case.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:23 AM »

It is, as you say, strictly a fan's eye approach and he is far too close to his subject but then, I suspect that is why he has been chosen for the job.

If he was 'chosen for the job' remember it was by the publishers and not by the band.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »

It is, as you say, strictly a fan's eye approach and he is far too close to his subject but then, I suspect that is why he has been chosen for the job.

If he was 'chosen for the job' remember it was by the publishers and not by the band.

Indeed but given that the project is "Fairport by Fairport", has been authorised by the band with their full co-operation in its creation and is being promoted through their own website and newsletters I think we can assume that they will have had some say in what sort of book it was going to be.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »

Indeed but given that the project is "Fairport by Fairport", has been authorised by the band with their full co-operation in its creation and is being promoted through their own website and newsletters I think we can assume that they will have had some say in what sort of book it was going to be.

Doubt it...

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »

Just remember if he had "dugged too deep" his portrait of the band may have been as popular as Clinton Heylins portrait of Sandy, which probably sold well but certainly did not seem popular with some of her fans.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

Just remember if he had "dugged too deep" his portrait of the band may have been as popular as Clinton Heylins portrait of Sandy, which probably sold well but certainly did not seem popular with some of her fans.

The unpublished and really rather good "No Thought Of Leaving - A Life Of Sandy Denny" by Pamela Murray Winters, covers many warts-and-all stories but is factual rather than nasty, which is what many readers thought of Clinton Heylin's effort.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

The unpublished and really rather good "No Thought Of Leaving - A Life Of Sandy Denny" by Pamela Murray Winters, covers many warts-and-all stories but is factual rather than nasty, which is what many readers thought of Clinton Heylin's effort.

Yup, it's possible to tell the whole truth without being a jerk about it.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »

Never seen a copy or read Pamela Murray Winters book, but it sounds like something worth tracking down, a shame she had so much trouble getting what she wanted published, I wonder how she is getting on now. Still haven't got my email or the fairport book, I think it may end up as a Christmas present for my dad yet.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »

Philip Ward (well known writer on Denny and regular of TAW as well) is not nearly as positive about Pamela Murray Winters manuscript as you are. He thought it not worth the trouble of salvaging it from the crevices of the internet, as he once wrote me. Maybe he will speak for himself when he reads  this.
You remain rather neutral about Heylin's book. I'm a Denny fan and I don't think it's as bad as everybody thinks it is. Sandy's later life was not what we would have wished for and Heylin is quite frank about it. Too frank for most fans, it seems.

All of which shows that it's best to read everything yourself and then make up your very personal opinion. Which I will do when I receive 'Fairport by Fairport'.

--
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »

Philip Ward (well known writer on Denny and regular of TAW as well) is not nearly as positive about Pamela Murray Winters manuscript as you are. He thought it not worth the trouble of salvaging it from the crevices of the internet, as he once wrote me. Maybe he will speak for himself when he reads  this.

Shocked Gosh. Did I say that? Sounds a bit harsh. I think there’s much of value in Pam’s manuscript and have urged her to do something with it, but she says she has moved on – and fair play to her. She found new witnesses and tells stories that don’t appear elsewhere. The main problems I had with it are that she invents dialogue and, when it gets to the sad bit, resorts to a professor of psychology.  

I succumbed and ordered the F by F book on the strength of Kingsley Abbott’s review in Record Collector. Really hope it contains something new.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »

All of which shows that it's best to read everything yourself and then make up your very personal opinion. Which I will do when I receive 'Fairport by Fairport'.
greetings from Holland,
Hans Valk

Which is exactly what I recommended, Hans, so there you go. By the way, the "warts and all" approach does appeal to me, which is why I, personally, find FbF anodyne.

Greetings from Wales, by the way.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #132 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »

Am I really the only person here to have received their copy so far?

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: December 11, 2012, 08:54:11 AM »

Looks like it Andy.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »

I think Staffan has his...in Sweden!

And...er...that's it. All seems a bit strange.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #135 on: December 11, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »

No sign of mine.

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #136 on: December 11, 2012, 10:04:25 AM »

Nor mine.  No e-mail, no nothing... Sad

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #137 on: December 11, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »

I think Staffan has his...in Sweden!

And...er...that's it. All seems a bit strange.

Sorry Al, I don´t seem to get it:

"A delivery was attempted for your item with reference LY639310441GB in SWEDEN before 15:39 on 10/12/12.

If redelivery or collection is unsuccessful, the item will be returned to the UK"

Since I work all day and I´m not at home 8-17 it´ll probably return to UK  Angry
I was convinced I was gong to pick it up at my Post Office and sign for it there.
Now my fear is that they will make another attempt and then it´ll be sent back.....
I hope I am wrong. £20 was a rather heavy postage in the first place.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2012, 10:13:52 AM »

It is an impressive performance from the publishers isn't it?  Angry

Has anybody emailed them to ask what is going on?
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »

Not a peep here either...Thankfully it's not a Christmas pressie, otherwise I'd be getting a bit concerned... Undecided

Fingers crossed it will arrive before the weekend ?...But I'm not holding my breath !... Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: