TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:39:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1862188 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4080 on: May 24, 2024, 01:41:23 PM »

Keith Riley of Shape of the Rain. Their 1971 album Riley, Riley , Wood and Waggett is a classic which I have played regularly over the years.

Never heard of them, I'm ashamed to say...but they look interesting.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4081 on: May 24, 2024, 08:29:38 PM »

Keith Riley of Shape of the Rain. Their 1971 album Riley, Riley , Wood and Waggett is a classic which I have played regularly over the years.

Ah. So you have the other copy. Great LP. RIP.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4082 on: May 24, 2024, 09:21:53 PM »

Ah. So you have the other copy. Great LP. RIP.
I now have to the deluxe cd version, I sold the vinyl for150 quid.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4083 on: June 08, 2024, 07:39:33 PM »

Charlie Lennon, the Irish fiddler who composed the reel he also played on The Waterboys' song When Ye Go Away.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #4084 on: June 11, 2024, 07:28:22 PM »

Selecter vocalist - Gaps Hendrickson - after short illness
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4085 on: June 11, 2024, 11:50:56 PM »

The French singer and actress Françoise Hardy, 80.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4086 on: June 12, 2024, 07:58:25 AM »

The French singer and actress Françoise Hardy, 80.

Jules

There's an intersting Joe Boyd, Nick Drake, DM & RT connection described in the 2018 Uncut interview:

"While she was working with Tuca, Hardy was also on the lookout for other musicians to collaborate with. One songwriter that interested her was Nick Drake. “He had read how enthusiastic I was about one of his albums,” Hardy explains, “and so he came to the studio where I was recording in London, and he sat in the corner, almost hidden, and he never said one word. I was so full of admiration for his work, so I didn’t dare to say anything, and he didn’t dare to say anything [laughs].”

“Joe Boyd came up with this brilliant idea that Nick was going to write an album of songs for Françoise,” says producer and arranger Tony Cox. “I was going to produce it. So we travelled over to Paris – it was all pretty weird because Nick was a painfully shy bloke. Françoise is incredibly neurotic. She won’t do things like shaking hands, because she’s scared of catching germs from people.”

The Drake collaboration never happened, but Cox was keen to work with Hardy regardless. So, in late 1971, the singer travelled once again to London, this time to Chelsea’s Sound Techniques, to record a full album with Cox and a crack team of British folk-rockers, including Richard Thompson and Pat Donaldson.

“I remember they were all very keen to play on the Françoise sessions,” remembers Cox. “Particularly Richard Thompson, which was kind of surprising because he wasn’t someone who really volunteered to play on sessions much.”

“We did the tracks as a trio,” recalls Thompson, “and strings were overdubbed later. Françoise sang guide vocals on all tracks. We all got to hang out during breaks, in the Black Lion pub across the street. She was friendly and charming.”

Chosen songs included Trees’ “The Garden Of Jane Delawney”, Neil Young’s “Till The Morning Comes” and two Beverley Martyn songs. The results were akin to an English version of the Brazilian-influenced La Question: intimate, moonlit, eerie and quietly experimental, as shown by the backwards guitar running through her take on Buffy Sainte-Marie’s “Take My Hand For A While”.

“‘If You Listen’ was a pretty enough song, but there wasn’t anything to really get your teeth into. So I gave all the string instruments a choice to play any notes in any order, but playing col legno, with the wooden back of their bow, and it sounded great. I remember everyone, including Françoise, getting very excited when that sound emerged.”

Shy, reserved, yet strong-willed – it’s this peculiar combination of qualities that seem to have sustained Hardy throughout her career. There are certainly analogues with Nick Drake, in their personalities, voices and even a similar taste in chords and harmony. Yet, while Drake didn’t have the chance to even try his hand at real fame, Hardy has survived decades of it. “The last time I saw Nick Drake,” she says, “he called me at the end of one afternoon. I had always been feeling there was something wrong with him, but I didn’t know exactly what. I was going that evening to the restaurant of the Tour Eiffel to have dinner, because Véronique Sanson was performing there. But I felt I couldn’t leave him alone, so I said, ‘Come, and I’ll take you to the Tour Eiffel.’

“I don’t recall how the night ended, probably in a very normal way. But I was not surprised when I heard… He had everything going for him; he was very good-looking, mysterious and talented. There are always many reasons [for depression], but maybe one of them is the fact he had no success at all. C’était la goutte d’eau qui a fait déborder le vase [it was the straw that broke the camel’s back]…” "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLt1QPi-mDA

« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 08:08:31 AM by quodlibet (Ian) » Logged

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: