TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 27, 2024, 04:54:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP- musicians  (Read 1901666 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4080 on: May 24, 2024, 01:41:23 PM »

Keith Riley of Shape of the Rain. Their 1971 album Riley, Riley , Wood and Waggett is a classic which I have played regularly over the years.

Never heard of them, I'm ashamed to say...but they look interesting.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4081 on: May 24, 2024, 08:29:38 PM »

Keith Riley of Shape of the Rain. Their 1971 album Riley, Riley , Wood and Waggett is a classic which I have played regularly over the years.

Ah. So you have the other copy. Great LP. RIP.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4082 on: May 24, 2024, 09:21:53 PM »

Ah. So you have the other copy. Great LP. RIP.
I now have to the deluxe cd version, I sold the vinyl for150 quid.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4083 on: June 08, 2024, 07:39:33 PM »

Charlie Lennon, the Irish fiddler who composed the reel he also played on The Waterboys' song When Ye Go Away.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #4084 on: June 11, 2024, 07:28:22 PM »

Selecter vocalist - Gaps Hendrickson - after short illness
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4085 on: June 11, 2024, 11:50:56 PM »

The French singer and actress Françoise Hardy, 80.

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #4086 on: June 12, 2024, 07:58:25 AM »

Jules

There's an intersting Joe Boyd, Nick Drake, DM & RT connection described in the 2018 Uncut interview:

"While she was working with Tuca, Hardy was also on the lookout for other musicians to collaborate with. One songwriter that interested her was Nick Drake. “He had read how enthusiastic I was about one of his albums,” Hardy explains, “and so he came to the studio where I was recording in London, and he sat in the corner, almost hidden, and he never said one word. I was so full of admiration for his work, so I didn’t dare to say anything, and he didn’t dare to say anything [laughs].”

“Joe Boyd came up with this brilliant idea that Nick was going to write an album of songs for Françoise,” says producer and arranger Tony Cox. “I was going to produce it. So we travelled over to Paris – it was all pretty weird because Nick was a painfully shy bloke. Françoise is incredibly neurotic. She won’t do things like shaking hands, because she’s scared of catching germs from people.”

The Drake collaboration never happened, but Cox was keen to work with Hardy regardless. So, in late 1971, the singer travelled once again to London, this time to Chelsea’s Sound Techniques, to record a full album with Cox and a crack team of British folk-rockers, including Richard Thompson and Pat Donaldson.

“I remember they were all very keen to play on the Françoise sessions,” remembers Cox. “Particularly Richard Thompson, which was kind of surprising because he wasn’t someone who really volunteered to play on sessions much.”

“We did the tracks as a trio,” recalls Thompson, “and strings were overdubbed later. Françoise sang guide vocals on all tracks. We all got to hang out during breaks, in the Black Lion pub across the street. She was friendly and charming.”

Chosen songs included Trees’ “The Garden Of Jane Delawney”, Neil Young’s “Till The Morning Comes” and two Beverley Martyn songs. The results were akin to an English version of the Brazilian-influenced La Question: intimate, moonlit, eerie and quietly experimental, as shown by the backwards guitar running through her take on Buffy Sainte-Marie’s “Take My Hand For A While”.

“‘If You Listen’ was a pretty enough song, but there wasn’t anything to really get your teeth into. So I gave all the string instruments a choice to play any notes in any order, but playing col legno, with the wooden back of their bow, and it sounded great. I remember everyone, including Françoise, getting very excited when that sound emerged.”

Shy, reserved, yet strong-willed – it’s this peculiar combination of qualities that seem to have sustained Hardy throughout her career. There are certainly analogues with Nick Drake, in their personalities, voices and even a similar taste in chords and harmony. Yet, while Drake didn’t have the chance to even try his hand at real fame, Hardy has survived decades of it. “The last time I saw Nick Drake,” she says, “he called me at the end of one afternoon. I had always been feeling there was something wrong with him, but I didn’t know exactly what. I was going that evening to the restaurant of the Tour Eiffel to have dinner, because Véronique Sanson was performing there. But I felt I couldn’t leave him alone, so I said, ‘Come, and I’ll take you to the Tour Eiffel.’

“I don’t recall how the night ended, probably in a very normal way. But I was not surprised when I heard… He had everything going for him; he was very good-looking, mysterious and talented. There are always many reasons [for depression], but maybe one of them is the fact he had no success at all. C’était la goutte d’eau qui a fait déborder le vase [it was the straw that broke the camel’s back]…” "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLt1QPi-mDA

« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 08:08:31 AM by quodlibet (Ian) » Logged

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #4087 on: June 17, 2024, 11:00:31 PM »

Paul Spencer aka Dario G, nineties dance star, age 53, of rectal cancer. If you think you don’t know who he is, listen to ‘Sunchyme’ the famous track which samples ‘Life in a Northern Town’ by Dream Academy.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #4088 on: June 18, 2024, 09:49:46 AM »

nope still dont know Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4089 on: June 18, 2024, 07:11:09 PM »

Jules

As a callow youth in the mid 60's I was totally smitten by her.

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4090 on: June 18, 2024, 08:14:46 PM »

As a callow youth in the mid 60's I was totally smitten by her.

Not hard to see why.

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4091 on: June 27, 2024, 04:53:41 PM »

Richard "Kinky" Friedman, age 79, Texas singer/songwriter/author/politician.  Sad

Kinky was a broadly misunderstood satirist. He genuinely loved country music and was a gifted, melodic songwriter. However, he will be remembered around here for his most outrageous mid-1970s novelty songs (They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore, Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed, Asshole from El Paso, The Ballad of Charles Whitman, Homo Erectus). I more often listen to his straight tunes, of which my favorites include:

Sold American
Silver Eagle Express
Western Union Wire
Rapid City South Dakota
When the Lord Closes the Door (He Opens a Little Window)
Lady Yesterday
Twirl
Marilyn and Joe

I met Kinky numerous times between about 1987 and 2020. He would sign anything and was simultaneously cranky and friendly. He was devoted to animal rescue and ran a youth camp (reserved for Gold Star families of service members) outside Austin for years. R.I.P. and I'll see you on the other side.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 05:18:01 PM by John From Austin » Logged
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #4092 on: June 27, 2024, 05:40:38 PM »

Richard "Kinky" Friedman, age 79, Texas singer/songwriter/author/politician.  Sad

Sad to hear this. I saw him a couple of times in Edinburgh, once at the Book Festival and once at the Queen's Hall which was one of the first gigs I went to with MrsB. I guess he was in that country music sub-genre with the likes of Ed Sanders and Mojo Nixon.

I have one of his books, Armadillos & Old Lace, which has a quote from Bill Clinton on the cover. Looks like Bill was a big fan of his.

Lovely posting on his X/Twitter account

@FriedmanKinky
"Kinky Friedman stepped on a rainbow at his beloved Echo Hill surrounded by family & friends. Kinkster endured tremendous pain & unthinkable loss in recent years but he never lost his fighting spirit and quick wit. Kinky will live on as his books are read and his songs are sung."

Amen to that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 06:04:15 PM by ColinB » Logged

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4093 on: June 27, 2024, 07:50:49 PM »

Here I am twelve years and 55 pounds ago with The Kinkster at the Cactus Cafe in Austin, February 9, 2012. He signed most of my CD booklets before exclaiming "Jesus F****** Christ!" (because I had brought my entire collection).

* Kinky Friedman 2-9-2012 small.jpg (52.84 KB, 478x640 - viewed 504 times.)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #4094 on: June 27, 2024, 10:27:42 PM »

His books were very entertaining and, as I recall, he was Bill Clinton's favourite author.

Between those and his very individualistic songwriting style, he made this world a brighter place.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4095 on: July 08, 2024, 09:41:26 AM »

Joe Egan of Stealers' Wheel apparently.

Not a band  I got around to hearing properly, though the  2 singles are unforgettable.  
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #4096 on: July 08, 2024, 11:42:03 AM »

Sad to hear this. Gerry Rafferty usually gets most of the credit for Stealers Wheel, but Joe Egan was just as responsible for their success. I had the first two Stealers Wheel albums when they were first released. The first, in my opinion, was far superior to the second one. I didn't know they actually released a third album until after they split up. The singles were really good. Apart from the obvious one, 'Late Again', 'Star' and 'Everything will Turn Out Fine' were well worth listening to. I also liked 'You Put Something Better Inside of Me', although I don't think it was a single. Kiki Dee did a great version of it on her 'Loving and Free' album.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4097 on: July 16, 2024, 08:56:08 AM »

Linda T reporting that Heather Wood (The Young Tradition) has died.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #4098 on: July 19, 2024, 08:36:29 AM »

American folky Happy Traum aged 86

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #4099 on: July 19, 2024, 11:14:59 AM »

American folky Happy Traum aged 86

That's sad to hear... Sad

"The Guitarist's Picture Chords" by Happy Traum, purchased back in the late 70s from Acott music shop (long gone Cry) on the High St Oxford, is the only guitar tutor that I still have and use to this day.

Clear, consise and just perfect for a beginner or intermediate player. I actually ditched all my other guitar tuition books, after realising they were way too technical... Grin

« Last Edit: July 19, 2024, 11:26:21 AM by Glen S » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: