TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neil Young saddles up the Horse again  (Read 111991 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

Happy Birthday Neil Young!!  Here with Pearl Jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4D52e6ZCU

68!  Long may he run....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »

Anyone got this? http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/reviewed-neil-young-live-at-the-cellar-door-unveiled-neil-young-the-ultimate

Any good?  Likely to learn anything remotely interesting from it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »

Anyone got this? http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/wild-mercury-sound/reviewed-neil-young-live-at-the-cellar-door-unveiled-neil-young-the-ultimate

Any good?  Likely to learn anything remotely interesting from it?

I can't answer that yet - I'll be picking up a copy later today.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:21 AM »

According to some reports I'm reading this morning, Neil and the Horse are going to make good on those cancelled European shows next Summer.  Looks like its genuine.  Neil does the opposite of what we predicted yet again - by not doing something else entirely!  Must be because everyone suspects it'll be the final victory lap, no?

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »

More Neil news:-

"Confirmation that Neil's next album was recorded in Jack White's record booth.

It should be out sometime in the new year. I don't know its release details but would be surprised if it's only available via Third Man. But this is Neil, so who knows. I anticipate this will be a very big seller. It is an album of covers. In it, as anticipated, he pays tribute to other renowned singer-songwriters. There are 12 tracks on it. There are no Neil Young originals, but...each side starts with an introduction (part 1, part 2) of the same title. That could be a Neil Young original although I have another theory on what these might be... A couple of the songs chosen will astonish you. Sorry for the secrecy but more on this might leak soon..."

Jules

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »

....Looking forward to "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" by the Youngster.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »

See you all there.  Great supporting cast too.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/09/neil-young-crazy-horse-hyde-park

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2013, 08:07:37 PM »

Even more tempting is the McBusted/Backstreet Boys show a few days earlier..not.

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »

A somewhat devilish £66.60 a ticket, mind..

MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2013, 07:01:47 AM »

Think that's about what I paid for my Hard Rock Calling (also in Hyde Park) ticket a few years ago, mostly in order to see Neil. Tempted to do it again although the supporting lineup took my fancy a bit more last time (Pretenders, Seasick Steve, Ben Harper, Fleet Foxes)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:10 PM »

Think that's about what I paid for my Hard Rock Calling (also in Hyde Park) ticket a few years ago, mostly in order to see Neil. Tempted to do it again although the supporting lineup took my fancy a bit more last time (Pretenders, Seasick Steve, Ben Harper, Fleet Foxes)
I was there that year - Neil was on top form, easily one of the best concerts I've every seen.

Not sure if I want to go to Hyde Park again tho, I'm not much of a fan of the venue.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »

I was there that year - Neil was on top form, easily one of the best concerts I've every seen.

Not sure if I want to go to Hyde Park again tho, I'm not much of a fan of the venue.  

Same.  Genuinely not sure I can be arsed.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »

Interesting responses about the lineup.  I think this lineup is head and shoulders above the last one.

I'm sure I'd feel exactly the same (can't be arsed) if I hadn't failed to see them last year.  But I'm definitely going to this...and a whole load of sixth form chums who I first got into Neil with in the early to mid 80's are meeting up so it should be a gas.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »

Interesting responses about the lineup.  I think this lineup is head and shoulders above the last one.

I'm sure I'd feel exactly the same (can't be arsed) if I hadn't failed to see them last year.  But I'm definitely going to this...and a whole load of sixth form chums who I first got into Neil with in the early to mid 80's are meeting up so it should be a gas

It generally is when a group of mature gentlemen get together   Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2013, 05:41:55 PM »

But I'm definitely going to this...and a whole load of sixth form chums who I first got into Neil with in the early to mid 80's are meeting up so it should be a gas

It generally is when a group of mature gentlemen get together   Grin  

Grin  Cheesy

Jules

ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2013, 08:12:39 AM »

More Neil news:-

"Confirmation that Neil's next album was recorded in Jack White's record booth.

It should be out sometime in the new year. I don't know its release details but would be surprised if it's only available via Third Man. But this is Neil, so who knows. I anticipate this will be a very big seller. It is an album of covers. In it, as anticipated, he pays tribute to other renowned singer-songwriters. There are 12 tracks on it. There are no Neil Young originals, but...each side starts with an introduction (part 1, part 2) of the same title. That could be a Neil Young original although I have another theory on what these might be... A couple of the songs chosen will astonish you. Sorry for the secrecy but more on this might leak soon..."

Jules

Iiinteresting. The recording booth at Third Man Records is literally an old-fashioned 'Record Your Own Voice!' type affair with a single mono microphone that records direct to vinyl. It's a novelty thing as part of the actual shop (Third Man Records is a record shop, gig venue and recording studio all in one space and is very cool - I visited there when I went to Nashville), so wouldn't say it's for public consumption, but Neil being Neil, that probably appeals to him. You can see an example of how it works here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlFysAciLrU

The one recording made there that's in circulation is Jack White and Willie Nelson singing Red Headed Stranger on Willie's 80th birthday - it came out as part of the Third Man Records subscription service (on 6" coloured vinyl, no less) and the quality is poor to say the least. But it's interesting to note that Neil Young made a guest appearance at the Third Man Records gig for Willie's 80th. He did duetted on Long May You Run (the Willie Nelson song, not the Neil Young song), which again probably appealed to him in a perverse way.

EDIT: You can hear the quality of the recordings from the booth here with Jack White's rendition of Cola Miner's Daughter:
http://www.uncut.co.uk/neil-young-and-jack-white-record-tracks-in-the-third-man-vinyl-booth-news
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2013, 08:35:38 AM »

Iiinteresting. The recording booth at Third Man Records is literally an old-fashioned 'Record Your Own Voice!' type affair with a single mono microphone that records direct to vinyl. It's a novelty thing as part of the actual shop (Third Man Records is a record shop, gig venue and recording studio all in one space and is very cool - I visited there when I went to Nashville), so wouldn't say it's for public consumption, but Neil being Neil, that probably appeals to him.

I've since learned that Jack has a proper recording facility there as well, so I'm guessing that Neil used that rather than the booth.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »

Wrong place for this but still... I think Neil needs to find another way to unwind now he's given up the weed...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/10558380/Clappy-unhappy-why-Neil-Young-was-wrong-to-tell-his-audience-to-be-quiet.html

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »

I'm very, very upset to hear Neil and the Horse are scheduled to play in Tel Aviv on July 17th.  Not happy.  Probably best if I don't say any more on the matter.........

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:44 AM »

Indeed, but apparently he played there with Pearl Jam in the 90s so presumably made his decision then.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: