TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
January 23, 2022, 12:16:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gerry Rafferty - Rest in Blue  (Read 468 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: October 16, 2021, 09:17:02 PM »

I was mildly astonished to see this "new Gerry Rafferty album" in HMV yesterday ... and then my second reaction was one of understandable cynicism. But then again, there have actually been some surprisingly good "very late" album releases over the years, George Harrison's Brainwashed being a notable example. I'm surprised that nobody here has yet commented ... has anyone heard it ?    
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 09:24:00 PM »

I was mildly astonished to see this "new Gerry Rafferty album" in HMV yesterday ... and then my second reaction was one of understandable cynicism. But then again, there have actually been some surprisingly good "very late" album releases over the years, George Harrison's Brainwashed being a notable example. I'm surprised that nobody here has yet commented ... has anyone heard it ?    

I'd read this and then gave the album a spin but it's not for me.  https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/gerry-rafferty-rest-in-blue-b1907781.html

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 03:21:36 PM »

Out of interest, David, do you mean it's not for you because you do not like the idea of tampering with an artist's work after they have passed away, or simply because you are not a Rafferty fan?  As you know, over the years there has been a vast amount of such tampering (rightly or wrongly!), two examples closer to home being "Fotheringay 2" and Sandy's final concert. BTW, the new Rafferty CD includes a version of RT's "Just the Motion".
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 03:53:36 PM »

Out of interest, David, do you mean it's not for you because you do not like the idea of tampering with an artist's work after they have passed away, or simply because you are not a Rafferty fan?  As you know, over the years there has been a vast amount of such tampering (rightly or wrongly!), two examples closer to home being "Fotheringay 2" and Sandy's final concert. BTW, the new Rafferty CD includes a version of RT's "Just the Motion".

I like some of Rafferty's work, although mostly the earlier stuff.  I just didn't particularly like this material.  No problem with posthumous releases although they're generally problematic.  Fotheringay 2 is one of the better attempts.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: