TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:25:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport at 45  (Read 47887 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« on: December 30, 2011, 03:23:27 PM »

If Iconic Media can send the press release a day or so early, I can do the same in passing it on and starting a thread on the subject!  Smiley

-

1 JANUARY 2012

1967-2012: Fairport Convention celebrates anniversary

45 years and still going strong

Fairport Convention, one of the most enduring names in rock and pop, celebrates 45 years as a band this year.

Formed in north London during the 'summer of love', Fairport Convention played its first gig on 27 May 1967 in a Golders Green church hall. The band rapidly became popular on the club and college circuit. A record contract followed and Fairport went on to pioneer a new musical genre, British folk rock.

Championed by John Peel, Fairport went through frequent personnel changes in its early days nurturing world class talents such as Richard Thompson and the late Sandy Denny along the way. However, maturity brought stability and the current line-up has been together for over a dozen years.

Fairport Convention has outlived most of its contemporaries from the fertile 60s music scene and, 45 years on, remains one of the busiest bands around. During that time, the band has won a coveted BBC Lifetime Achievement Award and Radio 2 listeners voted Fairport's groundbreaking album Liege & Lief  'The Most Influential Folkrock Album of All Time'.

Fairport Convention and its 45-year history will be the subject of a major music documentary to be screened on BBC4 television during 2012.

The current line-up of Simon Nicol (lead vocal, rhythm and electric guitars), Dave Pegg (backing vocals, bass guitar, mandolin), Ric Sanders (violin), Chris Leslie (lead vocal, fiddle, bouzouki, mandolin) and Gerry Conway (percussion and drums) still packs venues on its frequent tours. For the past 32 years the band has also staged one of the UK's major music festivals, Fairport's Cropredy Convention.

"Forty-five years is quite a milestone," says co-founder Simon Nicol, "but we don't intend to rest on our laurels. Fairport is a band that always looks to the future. I think the key to our longevity is live performance. We've never been a studio band  - we much prefer being out there in front of an audience. Our festival at Cropredy also plays a role in sustaining us as a band - it is a highlight of so many peoples' year because it has a great feeling of continuity."

Fairport will be celebrating its forty-fifth anniversary throughout the year. The band will start 2012 with a forty-date British tour beginning on 21 January and continuing until early March. The concerts will feature songs from Fairport's recent studio album, the critically-acclaimedFestival Bell, as well as material drawn from the band's extensive repertoire.

In August, the band's festival at Cropredy will also reflect the anniversary with special guests and Fairport alumni in attendance. Co-founding member Richard Thompson will play a headline set at the event.
Two new CD releases will add to the celebrations in 2012. By Special Request is a studio album featuring brand new versions of Fairport's most popular songs from the past 45 years. But this isn't just any old 'greatest hits' compilation - it is the band's loyal fans who have chosen the songs. Through Fairport's website and social media, the fans were invited to list their individual 'top twenty' from the band's repertoire. These lists were analysed and the dozen most popular numbers were re-recorded for this album.

The second anniversary release revives one of Fairport Convention's most popular musical projects. Last year saw the fortieth anniversary of Babbacombe Lee, the band's 1971 'folk rock opera'. To mark the occasion, the band performed the work in its entirety at every concert on their 2011 Winter Tour. They also performed it during their set at Cropredy in August. These performances were recorded and will be released in a new live version of the original concept album.

ENDS (600 wds)

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »

39 date tour, I fancy, not 40 (which does sound better)  Roll Eyes Wink

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »

A BBC4 documentary Huh Excellent news...

http://fairportconvention.com/general_news.php
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »

I trust someone has already suggested the 'Stars on 45' concept to the boys (you probably have to be at least 45 to remember Stars on 45)...I can just imagine a megamix Fairport (with an 80's drum machine backing) through the eras storming up the charts.  Possibly...

Undecided Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »

I trust someone has already suggested the 'Stars on 45' concept to the boys (you probably have to be at least 45 to remember Stars on 45)...I can just imagine a megamix Fairport (with an 80's drum machine backing) through the eras storming up the charts.  Possibly...

Undecided Smiley
Now there's a thought! (I remember them well)

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »

As one of the 45+ brigade I am looking forward to the BBC documentary rather more than the Stars on 45 megamix...

Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

The current line-up of Simon Nicol (lead vocal, rhythm and electric guitars), Dave Pegg (backing vocals, bass guitar, mandolin), Ric Sanders (violin), Chris Leslie (lead vocal, fiddle, bouzouki, mandolin) and Gerry Conway (percussion and drums) still packs venues on its frequent tours. For the past 32 years the band has also staged one of the UK's major music festivals, Fairport's Cropredy Convention.

Look forward to the documentary. BBC4 has some great music programmes.

Out of interest, why does the article refer to what Ric plays as a  violin, and what Chris plays as a fiddle? They look the same to me!
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »

As I understand it, the instrument is a violin, and fiddling is a style.
But what do I know, I'm a drummer!

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 06:10:52 PM »

Look forward to the documentary. BBC4 has some great music programmes.

Out of interest, why does the article refer to what Ric plays as a  violin, and what Chris plays as a fiddle? They look the same to me!

I am also a drummer so what do i know but a fiddling friend who i was playing with last night ( stop it Bill) has a violin and an american fiddle. Different instruments, different sounds. The American isn't miked and is a much scratchier 'rustic' noise. Obviously good for bluegrass stuff. I agree though that fiddling is a style of violin playing. Swarb and Chris L are fiddlers. Ric isn't,IMHO. I still think of Ric as a heavily tinged jazz player. Sometimes I just want the melody.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »

Swarb and Chris L are fiddlers. Ric isn't,IMHO.

That's always been my beef with the post-85 lineup.  They were so keen not to have another Swarb they forgot the one thing that (again,, obviously, IMHO) a folk-rock band needs.  And when they finally got the guy that should have got the job in the first place into the band he couldn't play his lead instrument.  Go figure....!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »

That's always been my beef with the post-85 lineup.  They were so keen not to have another Swarb they forgot the one thing that (again,, obviously, IMHO) a folk-rock band needs.  And when they finally got the guy that should have got the job in the first place into the band he couldn't play his lead instrument.  Go figure....!

I dunno, I think Ric's violin fits in well with the post-85 sound, and it fitted with the Albion Band well too. Now, though, I think I prefer Chris' playing with the current sound; Celtic Moon is a testament to that. Still think Ric's an awesome player though, and love his contribution to the band.  Smiley

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »

I dunno, I think Ric's violin fits in well with the post-85 sound, and it fitted with the Albion Band well too. Now, though, I think I prefer Chris' playing with the current sound; Celtic Moon is a testament to that. Still think Ric's an awesome player though, and love his contribution to the band.  Smiley

I too think Ric is an awesome player.  Rise Up Like the Sun is one of my very fave albums ever... Nothing he's ever done within Fairport has got even close....

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »

I too think Ric is an awesome player.  Rise Up Like the Sun is one of my very fave albums ever... Nothing he's ever done within Fairport has got even close....

Not sure that's entirely his fault, though...

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »

Undecided Smiley

That would be a fun way to start the Wintour and Cropredy, before the band come on.

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »

as he seemsto be the main arranger for the band it possibly is ...
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »

And I don't believe he was for Rise Up Like The Sun.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 10:08:53 AM »

Fairport at 45... Is that RPM?
No seriously when I get to be 45 (*if*) I will tell you what they're like Smiley

it'll be fine.......
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »

Really? I've never been under that impression.

Jono
free-flowing and painless all weekend

Loc: Wardington

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

Ric is undoubtedly a Jazz musician... he can play notes that most people didn't even know existed! He plays beautifully and to my mind is one of the greatest musicians ever.

I'm sure Ric told me once that "the difference between a Violin and a Fiddle, is attitude". Ric certainly got attitude so that makes him a Fiddler!  Grin

Further more, I'm sure Chris refers to his Violin as a "scraper"!

Back on topic - It's ready for pre-order! http://www.fairportconvention.com/catalogue.php?cmsCategoryID=9&DisplayType=DisplayCatContents

Here's to it and to it again!
Jono
free-flowing and painless all weekend

Loc: Wardington

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »

WOW! WHAT A TRACKLISTING! and the samples sound FANTASTIC!  Grin

Here's to it and to it again!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: