TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:52:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport at 45  (Read 47885 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »

At the risk of sounding dense, what's an autotune? Embarrassed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Be afraid!   Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »

At the risk of sounding dense, what's an autotune? Embarrassed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Be afraid!   Wink

Ooer missis!  That don't seem right at all....... Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss! Lips Sealed

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

No mention of a guest artist on the CD, not had a chance to listen to it yet.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
H (Heather Smith)

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

Right, now I've listened to it a couple of times, I *think* it is Chris's voice, but if it hasn't been treated then someone must've had the poor bloke's proverbials in a vice.

H (Heather Smith)

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

Okay, so Walk Awhile is pretty much as normal, as is nd The Hiring Fair. There's some really interesting use of stereo on Matty Groves, Farewell is a nice surprise, very well done. Nice whistles on CMM too.

Viv G

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 08:33:26 AM »

Right, now I've listened to it a couple of times, I *think* it is Chris's voice, but if it hasn't been treated then someone must've had the poor bloke's proverbials in a vice.

I know that it is definitely Chris's voice and no auto tune was used. He just has an amazingly versatile voice and is able to sing in tune!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:08 AM »

Both albums and tour ticket just arrived in the same post this morning.Coffee'n cornflakes first then FC bonanza to follow... Smiley

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »

Yes both albums arrived here too. First thought is that they are both beautifully packaged, especially BL the packaging for which is also witty and enlightening as regards precise songwriting credits. Less Swarb than I had previously imagined.

I am aboit halfway through By Popular Request at the moment and it is wholly listenable with some imaginative rearrangements. It won't supplant the originals but it will certainly earn repeat listenings in its own right.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »

Yes both albums arrived here too. First thought is that they are both beautifully packaged, especially BL the packaging for which is also witty and enlightening as regards precise songwriting credits. Less Swarb than I had previously imagined.

I am aboit halfway through By Popular Request at the moment and it is wholly listenable with some imaginative rearrangements. It won't supplant the originals but it will certainly earn repeat listenings in its own right.

I agree with this. Very listenable, and some nice rearrangements.

However, I could have done without the lapse into cheesy Titantic-like flutes... Needs. More. Electric. Guitar.

Haven't had a chance to listen to Babbacombe Lee Live yet.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »

enlightening as regards precise songwriting credits. Less Swarb than I had previously imagined.

Full details please!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 01:41:35 PM »

As GubGub said,the packaging for this (and BBL) is very attractive indeed,triple gatefold cover and everything, but,more importantly,as I discussed with Anna Ryder at Brum Town Hall a couple of years ago,they SMELL nice too.We both have a penchant for sniffing newly printed items - the tour programme being the nasal stimulation at that time.I 'spose I'd better listen to it now I've inhaled.

Walk Awhile: reliable bounce along knee bender same as ever
Crazy Man Michael:as Heather said,sounds good with the whistle,which reminded me of my old group when we did it with a flute instead of Swarb's fiddle.
Hexamshire Lass:Always loved this, it's good having Chris in the band so Swarb era songs can be revisited.
Hiring Fair: is better without the keyboards,although DM's arrangement was atmospheric,electric keys never sound right to me in an acoustic setting,so with a mandolin playing that part...good version.
Red And Gold:Never a huge fave with me,not that I don't like it you understand, but I can get behind the sentiment,especially at Cropredy,and this version is better than the original,I think,with Edmund deservedly getting to record a studio version,as his horn part makes it ..just so.
Sir Patrick Spens:No Swarb,but reasonably mighty I 'spose.
Genesis Hall:Not that different from the Old,New....version.Like Crazy Man Michael,it's nice to hear that Simon can give a good strong performance of songs Sandy originally sang.
Farewell Farewell:The most different version on here.Could be a Christmas song almost.More whistles, giving the band a more Irish feel,than the Englishness they usually have.
Rosie:see Hexamshire Lass.
Matty Groves:I originally thought oh not again when I saw this had made the tracklist,I didn't vote for it...BUT I think this is my favourite new version on this album so far.It suits this line up,like the rocked up Maart era Matty suited them.....nice,fresh arrangement,some effective echo effects.
Fothringay:When this album idea came up,I could hear Simon singing this and he does as well as I imagined.I miss the harmonies on the outro though,there's a little snippet at the beginning of this,but it's less atmospheric with violin playing that part.
Jewel In The Crown:not that much different.
Meet On The Ledge:Like Matty...I thought why bother? How many versions do you need? Works best when you're IN the crowd....but I guess it's appropriate to the concept of the album to round it off nicely.

Conclusion:More succesful result than I thought it would be..not something you'd play once and forget about it.Most tracks don't add much to the originals, but suit the current line up quite nicely and don't pale in comparison to the more familiar recordings.Best tracks on first listen..Farewell Farewell and Matty Groves.

Well I never did..
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »

I think they'd have been better to ditch the horrible Irish fluting and use brass instead... I saw Kate Rusby do this.

The Babbacome Lee Live CD is absolutely brilliant.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

Not sure if brass would be appropriate for CMM,not medieval enough,but yes it works with Kate, and Roy Harper's Old Cricketer is sublime with the nostalgic feel of the brass.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »

Needs. More. Electric. Guitar.

But as we have discussed many times around here, that is never going to happen with this line up. 21st century Fairport have branded themselves as an essentially acoustic act and that's what you're gonna get.

enlightening as regards precise songwriting credits. Less Swarb than I had previously imagined.

Full details please!

Jules

Of the 13 individual musical pieces, Swarb gets writing credit on just 6, 3 of those being co-writes with Peggy. There are two "trad"/externally sourced pieces and the remaining 5 items are by Peggy & Simon either together or solo. I think it is fair to say that Swarb had a hand in most of the highlights though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:26:39 PM by GubGub (Al) » Logged
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 04:31:00 PM »

Hiring Fair: is better without the keyboards,although DM's arrangement was atmospheric,electric keys never sound right to me in an acoustic setting,so with a mandolin playing that part...good version.

I never liked that first version.  It'll be interesting to see if I can enjoy the song with the new arrangement.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 04:33:43 PM »

Of the 13 individual musical pieces, Swarb gets writing credit on just 6, 3 of those being co-writes with Peggy. There are two "trad"/externally sourced pieces and the remaining 5 items are by Peggy & Simon either together or solo.

Full details please!   Grin

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »

Of the 13 individual musical pieces, Swarb gets writing credit on just 6, 3 of those being co-writes with Peggy. There are two "trad"/externally sourced pieces and the remaining 5 items are by Peggy & Simon either together or solo.

Full details please!   Grin

Jules

Buy the CD!  Tongue

I never liked that first version.  It'll be interesting to see if I can enjoy the song with the new arrangement.

Jules

Have you heard the version from Old, New, Borrowed, Blue? That is my personal favourite. No keyboard. Effective use of fiddle harmonics. The new version is similar but less atmospheric I think.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »

Yes - that release is probably my favourite Maart era album - note the lack of heavy electric guitar! - I was thinking of the studio versions of the originals against these new ones so it didn't spring to mind,as a live performance,but I'd agree that is the best version to date.

Well I never did..
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »

Hexamshire Lass:Always loved this, it's good having Chris in the band so Swarb era songs can be revisited.

My only criticism would be that Swarb sounded like he was going to pop round with a fag behind his ear, and do something indescribably filthy out by the bins once he got there, whereas Chris sounds like he's going to meet up to discuss which day the recycling should go out. And I should stress that that's the only downside to the collection that has occurred to me so far. The rest sounds wonderfully fresh, revitalised, as live, and I was pleased to hear that Simon has elected to play electric (on that tricky Walk Awhile lick for example) where he's commonly played acoustic before. And it's a welcome final answer to all those "Where do I start with Fairport Convention?" questions. It's also quite warming to read the many fulsome asides to DM's contributions to the original arrangements and such in the sleevenotes.      

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

Swarb sounded like he was going to pop round with a fag behind his ear, and do something indescribably filthy out by the bins once he got there      

Grin  

He does doesn't he? Well he will in my head every time I play Nine from now on.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: