TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:08:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2010  (Read 149616 times)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #320 on: March 05, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »

Just got back from Crosby Civic Hall and it was a great show. I'm pleased to say that my wife is now a convert! Not only did she buy a tee shirt, but she's also talking about a trip to Cropredy at some future date! She was also impressed with how friendly the band were after the show. We can't wait for next year's wintour now.

Oh, and Neil got a mention from Simon too, which was nice.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #321 on: March 06, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »

Glad to hear the show went well... sadly, my sister wasn't well, so she & Mum had to miss out.  They were (and still are) very disappointed, but as Mum said, there's always next year - or the acoustic gig in St Helens this spring (Cropredy's not really an option for her...)

Flobbadob!
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

Just booked for tonight.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »

I found these Youtube clips of the Huddersfield gig and noticed that Simon is playing the little guitar (Armstrong?) for Who Knows.  I was sure he used the big one (Santa Cruz?) at Colchester but am beginning to doubt myself now. Undecided

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZ5wAoo9HM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f_dWrs7sOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QJ3yjEqlQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8f5RZq1XeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRV8kU0ydv4

I'm reminded of how good those instrumentals were! Cool
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #324 on: March 06, 2010, 02:53:27 PM »

He used the big guitar on WKWTTG last night at Crosby
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #325 on: March 06, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »

Brilliant Janet, thanks...

I want to go to Brum tonight now!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #326 on: March 06, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »

Me too.  According to AA Routefinder, if I set out now, I'd arrive at 7.30 so it would be possible ...  Cheesy

Thanks Shankly - I could be remembering correctly then Smiley
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2010, 11:40:02 AM »

Anyone still gridlocked in Birmingham, trying to find a way on to the M6?   Angry
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

Last time I went to Birmingham to see Fairport (a few years ago now,) it took forever to get ut of Birmingham..

I think they move the roads about while the concerts going on... Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2010, 02:06:06 PM »

Last time I went to Birmingham to see Fairport (a few years ago now,) it took forever to get ut of Birmingham..

I think they move the roads about while the concerts going on... Roll Eyes

They do Jude, they do!! That happened to me last year

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »

Birmingham was great, better than St Georges in Bristol and well worth the journey up the M5. Shame they didn't do Weston this year. It only took us about an hour getting out of Birmingham Angry...easy enough to get in and park, awful to get out! Oh well...looking forward to Worcester next and then Cropredy.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #331 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:48 AM »

I was somewhat underwhelmed by the gig, possibly due to being seated right at the back.

Yes, getting out of Birmingham was something of a nightmare, with underpasses and the A38M closed for maintenance, as I believe was a chunk of the M6. I suffered the crawl to the middle ring road, then took the A47 / A38 route out to the M6 toll. It took less than an hour to get to the M6 Toll services.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #332 on: March 08, 2010, 12:05:09 PM »

We thought Brum was great, a fitting end to a lovely tour.

No travel probs - we stayed overnight (as we usually do for Brum gigs). Our only issue was finding somewhere to eat before the gig - everywhere in the Broad Street area was full and booked out. We eventually managed to get in to the Cafe Rouge the other side of the Town Hall (towards the town centre), and we'd like to say thanks to them for getting us in and getting us fed just in time to make the start of the concert.

Met steve-n + Mrs steve and friends (we went to the same school, but not at the same time), and the inevitable Chris Bates; also Martin Driver (in passing), and PJ.

Thanks to the guys (+ Flossie & Keith) for providing great entertainmant and being so friendly.

DC

steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #333 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »

We thought Brum was great, a fitting end to a lovely tour.

No travel probs

Can't disagree with the above - the chaps were on great form and the A435 towards Evesham was almost totally traffic free.

From a slightly tentative start at Tewkesbury this Tour has developed probably one of the strongest set lists in recent years - the two new numbers have fitted in brilliantly......and we're still humming Danny Jack's Chase  Smiley

Great to meet Dr & Mrs C - we Suffolk exiles need to stick together  Wink

Already looking forward to the Spring tour...

S&J
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #334 on: March 08, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »

I parked in a multi storey, getting out of that was what took the time!
No such problems at the Huntingdon Hall I'm sure, bring on the Spring tour...and Cropredy!  Smiley
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #335 on: March 09, 2010, 11:58:07 AM »

I parked in a multi storey, getting out of that was what took the time!
No such problems at the Huntingdon Hall I'm sure, bring on the Spring tour...and Cropredy!  Smiley

Oh, yeah - our hotel was near one of the multi-stories (Brindley Place) and we did notice the horrendous queue of cars trying to leave! We've never seen it so busy (see earlier post on difficulty getting in somewhere to eat) - can a local tell us if something special was on (other than FC, of course) to cause such crowds (who were mostly eating apparently to meet an early-evening schedule, then leaving at the same time as the post-FC crowd)?

DC
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #336 on: March 09, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »

Sir Simon Rattle was conducting the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, playing Bach's St Matthew Passion at Symphony Hall that evening. That may have had quite a lot to do with how busy the area around Brindley Place was.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #337 on: March 09, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »

Sir Simon Rattle was conducting the Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, playing Bach's St Matthew Passion at Symphony Hall that evening. That may have had quite a lot to do with how busy the area around Brindley Place was.

You can just picture the scene in the Rattle household when he realised he was already engaged and would have to miss seeing the the chaps!

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #338 on: March 09, 2010, 01:52:11 PM »

You can just picture the scene in the Rattle household when he realised he was already engaged and would have to miss seeing the the chaps!

You never know ..... he was at a performance of "The Mysteries" that I attended during the last revival .... and clearly enjoyed the "Grand Circle Dance" or what ever it was at the end!

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #339 on: March 09, 2010, 02:06:43 PM »

More likely to have been The Stereophonics at the NIA. All three venues use the same car parks with one access road.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: