TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:01:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommened something for a FC newbie......  (Read 34752 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 03:35:46 PM »

Get "A History Of ..." a great intro to the best of early Fairport.

ummm, except my Fairport which wasn't on Island so wasn't allowed to be on it. Undecided Sad

I think that the better option if you are after a compilation is the Meet On The Ledge set from a few years back. It covers the same period, plus the original line up and is spread over two discs. Jude still only gets one track though.  Sad
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 03:36:15 PM »

crikey lots to choose from! one of those box sets sound very temptinf....but realistically money wise i can afford 2 or 3....think i'll do liege...as one of um  Smiley

The early Island albums (deluxe L&L aside) are all a fiver, Ady.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 03:37:21 PM »

Get "A History Of ..." a great intro to the best of early Fairport.

Uh...he really did say he already had compilations.  Honest.   Cheesy

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 03:49:02 PM »

Bonny Bunch of Roses is my suggestion, it worked for me anyway
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 07:55:35 PM »

My first FC album was Jewel In The Crown, borrowed from our local library in 1998.  That and Red and Gold were bought straight away.  Then I set about working backwards, buying albums as I could afford them and when they were available. It took years but what a wonderful journey of discovery it was!  I don't have any compilations - it didn't seem worth it - I knew I was going to own them all one day.  I'm now collecting the Cropredy programmes (just 4 to go for a full set) and Tour programmes (just one to find!) so the discovery goes on.

The history is great, but don't neglect to go and see the current line-up live, Ady. Cool

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

I started out by trying to get anything I could find.  In the early 80s you had to be pretty deligent - combing used record stores to find anything.  The first polydor album used to go for a mint in the US - extremely rare.  The only album in print was L&L, but you had to special order it anyway.

In retrospect, I can't imagine a more desirable way to do it.  Each find was a triumph.......another piece of the puzzle.  "Okay, I guess Sandy must have rejoined the band again....hummmmmm."  

I remember finding Fotheringay in a bizarre, rundown electronics store, still wrapped in cellophane(!).  Never had heard any songs on it - just that the album existed.  "Dang!  This stuff is good!"

Lotsa fun...........I miss the chase!

Even though I bought L&L in 69 and got the following albums as they were released, I recognize this "hunters" feeling I've had when I've tried to track down other artists or groups.It's a special feeling that I miss sometimes with the availability over the net.  Cheesy You know me with my music archeology...  Cheesy
I would also recommend the chronological way of meeting the bands music and different faces.As KM discovered, try your local library and it's CD (LP´s must be thrown out of British libraries today, I guess) dept. Borrow and then buy the albums that you find irresistible.Many albums will be irresistible!!  Cool

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Thor-Rune

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »

You know, asking that question here is asking for trouble as everyone of us started from different angles. You'll end up getting tons of well meant left field suggestions and end up with an endless list of titles without really knowing what to make of it all.

My advice to you in general when it comes to investigating a band is to go for the classics. There is usually a reason why they became classics. In Fairports case the classics are usually regarded as being:

Unhalfbricking
Liege & Lief
Full House

and to a certain extent What We Did on Our Holidays.

I'd start with some of those. And if you like them, then you can start dipping your toe in the ocean of other releases. There's tons of great stuff elsewhere. Good luck.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 02:29:03 PM »

You know, asking that question here is asking for trouble as everyone of us started from different angles. You'll end up getting tons of well meant left field suggestions and end up with an endless list of titles without really knowing what to make of it all.

My advice to you in general when it comes to investigating a band is to go for the classics. There is usually a reason why they became classics. In Fairports case the classics are usually regarded as being:

Unhalfbricking
Liege & Lief
Full House

and to a certain extent What We Did on Our Holidays.

I'd start with some of those. And if you like them, then you can start dipping your toe in the ocean of other releases. There's tons of great stuff elsewhere. Good luck.

You are correct about the problems inherent in asking this question on this board. I started a similar topic a while ago about The Albion Band and ultimately had pretty much every one of their albums recommended to me! It did point me in the direction of a couple of hidden treasures though.

I take your point about starting with the classics but I think it is a flawed approach. Classic albums often come with a weight of reputation and expectation that is hard to live up to. I know I have bought supposedly classic albums over the years (not by Fairport I hasten to add) and have ultimately been disappointed and only one of the three albums you name would be in my personal Fairport top 5, though WWDOOH would probably be in there.

On reflection, if Ady already has some compilations, the best approach may be to identify the albums from which his favourite tracks on those originate and investigate those albums first. I would still heartily recommend The Cropredy Box though, as a starting point. Everybody is right at the top of their game and it could act as a catalyst for investigating more deeply as suggested above.
Thor-Rune

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »

GubGub - this depends EXTREMELY much on what compilations he has. Think of all the **** compilation cd's that have flooded the market in recent years with 80's and later trax. Issued with a cover featuring photos of the 60's/70's line-ups. Totally misleading, totally pointless and without a single track from any of the albums I mentioned.

If he has a good collection from the Island era, I would see your point to a certain extent. But only then.

But my advice is still, and always will be, to start with the classics I mentioned.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »

Ady, have you got Spotify? There are loads of FC albums on there for you to have a listen to and decide which you would like best. I think GubGub's idea of finding the source of your favourite tracks from the compilations that you have is a good place to start. Then I'd go for the classic albums. FC have always been a folk-rock group and have never really been very folky without having lots of rock in there as well. The first 3 albums aren't very folky at all, they're very West Coast influenced and are completely different to any of FCs other output. Have a search around, I'm sure you'll find something you like.  Smiley

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Thor-Rune

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:50 PM »

Yes, Spotify would be good place to investigate if you have access to it. Agreed!
Viv G

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 05:41:31 PM »

Probably best to leave  Gottle O' Geer for a while though. Rather an acquired taste according to my husband [I like it, he hates it]
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »

Heyday is a brilliant way of hearing how they develop from rock to folk-rock in an amazingly short space of time. Then do what someone said further up and listen in order (first album definitely included).
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »

It has to be Fairport Convention on Polydor 68, start at the beginning and work your way through Wink

C & M x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »

a big thankyou to all who have posted on here......shows you as a nice enthuseastic bunch like in my mind, which is a great thing........i've downloaded that "live at bbc" as it was over 50 tracks for 4 quid and someone told me here thats a silly bargain,practically law breaking!  and i'm just about to get a copy of Liege and lief for a couple of quid from me local indie shop...wander what i'll be listening to this eve  Smiley

hopefully this post wont just help me but others like me who although i know and like a fair bit of folk,just not much about fairport,but at least i'm trying to expand me musical mind eh  Smiley

keep your mind open!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »

a big thankyou to all who have posted on here......shows you as a nice enthuseastic bunch like in my mind, which is a great thing........i've downloaded that "live at bbc" as it was over 50 tracks for 4 quid and someone told me here thats a silly bargain,practically law breaking!  and i'm just about to get a copy of Liege and lief for a couple of quid from me local indie shop...wander what i'll be listening to this eve  Smiley

hopefully this post wont just help me but others like me who although i know and like a fair bit of folk,just not much about fairport,but at least i'm trying to expand me musical mind eh  Smiley

just bring along loads of munny for buying beer next time were in oxfordcesterceshire, whenever that might be Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:16 PM »

Coming at this from a slightly different angle, I've been listening for 3 or 4 years now, have some of the obvious earlier stuff - L&L, FH, UHB, WWDOOH, BBL - plus the 4-CD "Live At The BBC" (which I love), but.....

.....which are the gems in the recent output?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »

Coming at this from a slightly different angle, I've been listening for 3 or 4 years now, have some of the obvious earlier stuff - L&L, FH, UHB, WWDOOH, BBL - plus the 4-CD "Live At The BBC" (which I love), but.....

That is a slightly less fertile crop. Personally I am quite fond of Gladys' Leap (apart from one track), The Five Seasons, most of Jewel In The Crown and Who Knows Where The Time Goes. I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend any of the more recent albums, though they all have moments. One exception, the very recent Live At Cropredy 08 is quite wonderful from start to finish.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 05:56:11 PM »

That is a slightly less fertile crop. Personally I am quite fond of Gladys' Leap (apart from one track), The Five Seasons, most of Jewel In The Crown and Who Knows Where The Time Goes. I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend any of the more recent albums, though they all have moments. One exception, the very recent Live At Cropredy 08 is quite wonderful from start to finish.

Gladys Leap...24 years ago.  Recent?  Discuss....   Grin

He's right about Cropredy 08 though..excellent live album....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 06:05:17 PM »

Gladys Leap...24 years ago.  Recent?  Discuss....   Grin

He's right about Cropredy 08 though..excellent live album....

I was taking MisterKeith's underlining of the word recent to imply a very broad interpretation.  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: