TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:22:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb NOT at the Barbican  (Read 51335 times)
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »

If I were going, personally, i wouldn't be asking for a refund, I'd just 'rearrange my thinking'and be expecting a different sort of gig, than originally.

Well said!
Come on you lot: change is inevitable (except from vending machines) so sort yourselves out.
Get yourselves along to the gig and have a good time!   Afro
Mike Cole

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2009, 06:30:03 PM »

Dear all

An observation and a request:

Observation: With all the back and forthing about Dave Swarbrick's decision to withdraw nobody appears to have thought it worth 'tipping the hat' to him for his forthrightness in announcing his reasons for doing so. OK, he may have elected to word his announcement in such a way as to indicate 'underlying factors' (and thus opening this thread of what amounts to little more than speculation fuelled moaning) but some might call that diplomacy. It occurs to me that if he had chosen the route that most artists opt for - 'due to ill health' 'there in spirit' etc- this thread would have taken a very different route...

Request: If anybody is seriously considering giving the date a miss please let me know, I have a queue of people waving pound notes in the air that would love to relieve you of your tickets..

All best wishes

Mike

PS: My opinion is just that, my opinion, please don't reply with insults if those previously posted are the best that you can do. I have been insulted by professionals and found that the only rational response is '**** off' and then I'll get banned from the site and that would be a drag.
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2009, 07:34:52 PM »

people waving pound notes in the air

Pound notes?  You're showing your age there fella  Wink
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2009, 08:23:29 PM »

I'll reserve any judgement I have until after the show - return train ticket purchased, Mrs Adam mollified (just) and still with a high feeling of excitement and expectation.... Grin

Love and wishes

Adam

(happy mood with too many pear ciders swilling inside!)
jimc

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »

I guess in these days when every little bum note will be in broad electronic daylight on YouTube a day, exposed without the atmosphere of the gig that masked it, folk are a bit more circumspect...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

That would be called Perry, I believe. (unless there was apple content with the pears)

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »

That would be called Perry, I believe. (unless there was apple content with the pears)

Pear cider & perry are not actually synonyms. Proper perry is made from pear juice, while pear cider, as marketed by the likes of Heineken (Bulmers), or other majors is made from imported pear concentrate, contains water, sweeteners & other additives & is pasteurised. Perry orchards in the UK are rare & endangered & could not supply even a fraction of the volumes required to meet even current needs. While it's nice to see pears making a bit of a comeback, it is another dispiriting example of cynical & perverse marketing that is popularising an ancient product, while at the same time debasing it beyond recognition. Apologies for wandering off-topic

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 11:02:16 AM »

I was never in a position to be able to go to this gig, but I was pretty envious of those who could. I guess if I had been going I would be a little disappointed at Swarb deciding not to take part, but I'd at least try to see it from his point of view. The original posting hints at his reasons, but none of us knows how deep his feelings run. I don't for one minute think it is a decision he would have made lightly.
Given what Swarb has been through in recent years I think he has earned the right to do what he damn well likes and under his own terms.
Let's just thank whatever deity we may or may not believe in, (in my view our much maligned National Health Service had a major part to play in it) that Swarb is still amongst us, that he is playing and singing again and that he is still around to make his own decisions.

If I had been able to go, would I still be going? You bet I would and I'm sure that all of you lucky enough to be going will have a great time and make sure you raise a glass or two to Swarb in his absence.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Simon Withers

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 07:53:53 PM »

my first visit to the TAW site for a few days...very disappointed that Dave Swarbrick will not be appearing at the Barbican. My wife and I decided many months ago that our budget this year would stretch to see the 69' Fairports at the Barbican show, we knew we could not afford Cropredy this year and this performance would offer us an opportunity to see all those wonderful performers under one roof...I am looking forward to the concert lots and holding tickets that position us three rows from the front means that I am looking forward to hearing this amalgamation (what would one call a group of fairports together?...a 'group of Fairports does not sound right...a gaggle of Fairports?) indoors...Not having seen DM perform for all of two years this will be an opportunity for me to hear and to see him in action...On the occasions that Jude took the stage at Cropredy it has always been a delight to hear her perform those early songs/numbers...a treat for all I'm sure...are you going to 'stage knit' Jude?...a more relaxing past time than stage diving into the audience. Swarb I'm sure will be missed by many who will be attending the show...Reading Swarb's announcement on these very pages I can certainly understand the reasons why he isn't performing...Not having seen recently who is appearing at Cropredy this year as far as Fairport members are concerned... I wondered if Swarb be performing at Cropredy? if so those of you who shall be in attendance at Cropredy may well get to hear Mr Swarbrick play some of those 69' tunes...If this is the case I shall turn green with envy...
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

...a frapple of Fairports. Smiley

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

Of course, it's a convention of Fairports......

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2009, 10:15:31 PM »

The Barbican have updated the info about the concert on their website, as follows:

The Barbican has learned that violinist Dave Swarbrick has decided, for personal reasons, not to take part in the All-Star Fairport Convention Concert on Saturday 18 July. While we are sorry to hear this, this much-awaited reunion concert will still continue as planned, focussing on the music from the first five Fairport Convention albums - including Liege And Lief. Taking part (in alphabetical order) will be : Martin Carthy, Judy Dyble, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Iain Matthews, Simon Nicol, Linde Nijland, Dave Pegg, Kami Thompson, Richard Thompson, Teddy Thompson, Chris While and Kellie While.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:50 PM »

Who's on fiddle?
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

Who's on fiddle?

Move away from the keyboard PLW - you're endangering not just yourself but innocent bystanders  Wink
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2009, 02:41:31 PM »

Who's on fiddle?

Move away from the keyboard PLW - you're endangering not just yourself but innocent bystanders  Wink

LMAO @ both of you.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »

Who's on fiddle?

mps, bbc board members, the board of rover,do i need to go on Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »

Who's on fiddle?

Currently pursuing this with The Barbican.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »

Who's on fiddle?

Ah! A feast of fiddlers!
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »

Ok, after a bit of string pulling, have finally found out that Chris Leslie will be playing, which is a relief -- he knows all the songs.

Obviously no Swarb singing, although that might not have happened anyway.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Ok, after a bit of string pulling, have finally found out that Chris Leslie will be playing, which is a relief -- he knows all the songs.

Am I allowed to say 'I told you'?   Smiley

I'm pleased.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: