TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:41:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb NOT at the Barbican  (Read 51319 times)
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« on: June 30, 2009, 04:24:33 PM »

I've been asked by Swarb and Jill to pass on this message. Apologies if it's not in the right place.

"It is with deep regret that I have to announce, that due to difficulties with the format and rehearsal time for the Liege and Lief concert evening on the 18th July 2009 at The Barbican, I am withdrawing from the evening’s events and will not be appearing.

I am extremely saddened by lack of dialogue between the band, the constant meddling with proposed guests and the inadequate rehearsal time that I feel is essential for a first rate performance.
I have strenuously tried my very best to promote discussion and remedy these matters.
I have to admit that there is nothing more I can do or say to influence anybody concerned in producing the kind of show that we should all be proud to be a part of.

Dave Swarbrick"

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:25:18 PM »

Oh sh*t.

Not good.  

Somebody probably should have started by telling him it wasn't (billed as, or specifically) a Liege & Lief concert evening, I suppose....  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:35:50 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:26:45 PM »

Oh no.

That is so sad.
leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »

I've been asked by Swarb and Jill to pass on this message. Apologies if it's not in the right place.
Dave Swarbrick"

Is it ok to forward this to other FC sites, like the list, or was this message specifically for TAW?

Thanks

Cheers,

Donna
xx
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:39:32 PM »

So now what? I can't see this working without Swarb. What odds cancellation? I did wonder about scheduling and rehearsal. Fairport are all over the place this summer.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »

they're farking it up folks Angry

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »

So now what? I can't see this working without Swarb. What odds cancellation? I did wonder about scheduling and rehearsal. Fairport are all over the place this summer.

I'm not so sure, perhaps it could work, partially. The first album & "Holidays" were Swarbless, "Unhalfbricking" only slightly Swarb infested. Perhaps Dave Arbus could be drafted in to reprise his fiddling role. Someone was saying recently how good "A Sailor's Life" is without violin. It could work.

"Liege & Lief" however, would be a different matter. How disappointing & I presume his Canadian jaunt will still prevent him appearing at Cropredy. Double B****r.  Cry

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:22:14 PM »

[/quote]

Is it ok to forward this to other FC sites, like the list, or was this message specifically for TAW?

Thanks
[/quote]

Swarb says it's fine to post elsewhere.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »

Looking at various websites, I don't think there was ever going to be an opportunity for long protracted group rehearsals for the Barbican events.

RT is on tour in the USA until July 1st.
Ian Matthews is on tour in Holland,
Simon & Peggy are in Brittany with the Anne de Bretagne project,
Swarb in Japan with Martin Carthy between July 1st - 6th (strangely he is also booked to play in Coventry with Kev Dempsey on July 5th) that's followed by two Lazuras dates 8/9 July.
DM is on tour in the USA until July 10th.

Surely the logistical difficulties of getting " the band" all in one place for rehearsals has not come as a surprise to anyone.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »

They're going to wing it from 40 year old memories.  It will be great.  (Rather against type, I've decided to be 'glass half-full' about the whole thing)  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mortimer

Loc: London/St Albans

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 05:59:22 PM »

It would appear that the only thing that resembles Fairport of 40 years ago is the inability of "management" in this case again Mr Boyd to organise and manage his "team".  

While I appreciate the difficulties of organising such events, if you book the bloody Barbican Centre and sell out it rather behoves the people organising it to do a "Ronseal".  Although what this concert is about has never been that clear.

So we exchange a night of Swarb for a night of Martin Carthy (musically really not my bag) , bestill my beating heart.

"Musically we know it"
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »

They're going to wing it from 40 year old memories.  It will be great.  (Rather against type, I've decided to be 'glass half-full' about the whole thing)  Smiley

Yep, me too David. I'm still really looking forward to the evening

Mortimer

Loc: London/St Albans

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

So am I.  

I just hoped that with that sort of venue there was going to be vision and rehersal, rather than any winging it.

"Musically we know it"
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »

It's a great shame Swarb feels unhappy about taking part, and I for one will miss his presence - musical & personal; however, I take heart from the fact that Fairport have managed on numerous occasions to pull out some memorable performances when events seemed to have transpired against them, so I'm still looking forward to the gig - just not quite as much.

(At least I haven't had to take time off work & pay for flights/ferries...)

Flobbadob!
Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »

poor swarb Sad

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:57 PM »

From what Swarb said, I suspect he had been asked to perform on various tracks from Liege and Lief, but might not have been required for the other 3 albums. I certainly see the issues with guests; not sure what the motivation was for such an eclectic mix - possibly a case of trying to fit a quart into a pint pot and someone not noticing the contents spilling out.

Anyhow, maybe Simon will be along soon, and even if not it should be a *very* interesting evening - Fairport Unconventional, in fact.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »

I think it only polite that people respect his decision and just enjoy the evening. You will all have a fab night Smiley

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »

I'm sure we will C, but the fact remains that many of us bought tickets to see Simon/Peggy/RT/Swarb playing together.  So you can't really blame people for being disappointed.

Keith...how did you deduce that from Swarb's message?
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

Keith...how did you deduce that from Swarb's message?

Same as David's observation - "Liege and Lief" as opposed to Fairport All Star Line Up. And there is limited time; certainly not enough for all the albums.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »

Oooh it's just like Fairport really was in the 60s and 70s. Just when you've got used to a line up, someone leaves!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: