TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:54:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarb NOT at the Barbican  (Read 51332 times)
Neil67

Loc: Chesterfield ,Derbys

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 10:41:34 PM »

Boo! Like many others, it was Swarb's presence that made us shell out for tickets and overpriced train and hotel for the weekend. I was even hopeful he might have had a quick turn on the mic in some shape or form! Don't blame him at all- just very sorry for him that it wasn't turning out as planned. Don't blame the others either- it was clearly going to be hard to fit any proper rehearsals in. I had been looking forward to this event for months and months and now don't really feel like going at all!! If it is now the remaining earlier members with Ric standing in I'm sure it will be ok. Well, thinking about it, I suppose that's just what it will be- but with lots of guests. I'm sure I'll come round in a day or two but am a little disappointed at the mo.  
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »

the initial idea was great but its been pissed about and farted around with, no wonder Swarb told them to bugger off, mind you he never really had much time for the esteemed mr boyd did he(see "big william" off "9" for further details)

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »

Boo! Like many others, it was Swarb's presence that made us shell out for tickets and overpriced train and hotel for the weekend. I was even hopeful he might have had a quick turn on the mic in some shape or form! Don't blame him at all- just very sorry for him that it wasn't turning out as planned. Don't blame the others either- it was clearly going to be hard to fit any proper rehearsals in. I had been looking forward to this event for months and months and now don't really feel like going at all!! If it is now the remaining earlier members with Ric standing in I'm sure it will be ok. Well, thinking about it, I suppose that's just what it will be- but with lots of guests. I'm sure I'll come round in a day or two but am a little disappointed at the mo.  

Probably shouldn't say this, and no offence intended to anyone, but if they need a fiddle, I hope they get Mr Leslie to do it (he can do the vocals as well).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »

no Swarb vocals on L&L

The Dude abides
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »

no Swarb vocals on L&L

I was thinking of Full House stuff (as we know Peggy is there too).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »

Still says "The line-up for the Barbican Concert will be combinations of Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Dave Pegg, Iain Matthews, Dave Swarbrick and Richard Thompson – and an array of guest singers." on the Barbican website.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:10 AM »

Still says "The line-up for the Barbican Concert will be combinations of Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Dave Pegg, Iain Matthews, Dave Swarbrick and Richard Thompson – and an array of guest singers." on the Barbican website.

They most probably haven't caught up with Swarbs news yet.

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 07:57:17 PM »

Slightly off topic this (and not a complaint) but does anyone know if I have had a post modded on this thread. I can't think why it would have been but I posted from my hotel in France in the early hours of this morning but it doesn't seem to be here now. Did anyone see it? Or did I dream it?  Undecided
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »

I don't remember seeing it.. but I could be wrong.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »

Slightly off topic this (and not a complaint) but does anyone know if I have had a post modded on this thread. I can't think why it would have been but I posted from my hotel in France in the early hours of this morning but it doesn't seem to be here now. Did anyone see it? Or did I dream it?  Undecided

Not that I can see Gub Gub, and I have been back to the beginning of June.

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 08:33:41 PM »

it's probably in a restaurant somewhee in France scoffing moules mariniere. Or Brie.. Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

it's probably in a restaurant somewhee in France scoffing moules mariniere. Or Brie.. Grin

I wish I was, after a hideous journey home.

Oh well, I blame those Fairport types for keeping me up so late and making me tired and delusional!  Grin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 09:40:38 PM »

I wish I was, after a hideous journey home.

Oh well, I blame those Fairport types for keeping me up so late and making me tired and delusional!  Grin

were you hitting the absinthe?

The Dude abides
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 07:51:17 AM »

Looking at various websites, I don't think there was ever going to be an opportunity for long protracted group rehearsals for the Barbican events.

RT is on tour in the USA until July 1st.
Ian Matthews is on tour in Holland,
Simon & Peggy are in Brittany with the Anne de Bretagne project,
Swarb in Japan with Martin Carthy between July 1st - 6th (strangely he is also booked to play in Coventry with Kev Dempsey on July 5th) that's followed by two Lazuras dates 8/9 July.
DM is on tour in the USA until July 10th.

Surely the logistical difficulties of getting " the band" all in one place for rehearsals has not come as a surprise to anyone.

That`s a bit like with the "Celtic Tiger" show a couple of years back.
They had a tour plan like ' evening 1: Vienna - evening 2: Madrid - eveing 3: Zurich - and this with just one stage !  It could not work. So, the easiest way out was to be surprised and cancel several shows.
Back to topic: Looking at the logistic problems stated above it must have been clear that it is a very narrow time frame any rehearsals could have taken place in. So, IMHO the reason for Swarb`s withdrawal is more to be looked for within the emotional / "self importance" drawer. Which is really Swarb`s drawer (to use the picture again).
FC had to tackle with more severe problems in the past and they did it very well.
We had a phantastic L&L - show at Cropredy and this Barbican event is celebrating 3 albums turning 40, not just L&L.
So, whoever is able to attend: enjoy and have a great FC night.

Sam
Bonjela and tonic please.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Welshie West Wales

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »

why are people guessing when they do not actually know what has happened? all sorts of b*****ks being said about him on the list as well... some v insulting. swarb is a member here and this is rude.

Not only is another world possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.

Arundhati Roy
Viv G

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »

I am simply looking forward to an evening of good music in good company no matter who is performing. I just love listening to the music of Fairport.Yes it would have been great to see Swarb but if he feels unable to be there then he has reasons and we needn't be trying to second guess what they are. Let's not forget that it wasn't so very long ago, because he was so  ill, we might not have expected him to still be with us .We should be grateful that he is, even if he won't be there for this particular gig.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »

Well said Sam and Viv G. Grin Can't we just leave it there now peeps?

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:52 AM »

I am simply looking forward to an evening of good music in good company no matter who is performing. I just love listening to the music of Fairport.Yes it would have been great to see Swarb but if he feels unable to be there then he has reasons and we needn't be trying to second guess what they are. Let's not forget that it wasn't so very long ago, because he was so  ill, we might not have expected him to still be with us .We should be grateful that he is, even if he won't be there for this particular gig.

Unless you bought a ticket specifically because it was advertised as "combinations of Simon Nicol, Ashley Hutchings, Dave Mattacks, Dave Pegg, Iain Matthews, Dave Swarbrick, Judy Dyble and Richard Thompson – and an array of guest singers". Which is now not (for whatever reason) what you're getting.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »

Well said Sam and Viv G. Grin Can't we just leave it there now peeps?

No. For precisely the reasons that Skirky has stated above. I don't think most people on this board intend any disrespect to Swarb. It would be most out of character for that to happen but it has become increasingly unclear what this show actually is. It is clearly not what it was originally promoted to be and therefore people feel that they have been sold tickets under false pretences.

As for it being a celebration of 3 albums released in 1969, well, is it? That does not explain Peggy's participation. Don't get me wrong. Peggy is an enormous plus point for me but it adds to the confusion. If the intention had been to stretch to Full House (many people's hope I'm sure), then the absence of Swarb definitely becomes an issue again.

Whatever way you look at it, from Swarb's perspective, from ours as the audience and probably from that of other people involved, the organisation of this show appears to have been very badly handled and the promoters need to be more forthcoming about what it is they are actully selling.
ThomA
you can end this sentence here if you prefer

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 10:22:35 AM »

Oh, this is slightly disappointing.  However, I'll admit the main draw for me and my friends was the appearance of Fairport Mk 1; a Full House tune or two would've been lovely, but I'm still extremely excited.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: