TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:47:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 732791 times)
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #760 on: May 18, 2013, 12:30:05 AM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
I'm Austin Simpson, a full-time student (until tomorrow's graduation) from Peoria, IL

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
It's pretty tough to find fellows fans of great folk music in Central Illinois.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
I know I have more CDs by Fairport and members than by any other group of artists in my 1000+ album collection and that I'd really love to hop the pond to Cropredy someday when funds allow!

4.   What kind of music do you like?
All sorts! Grew up a lover of classical music, then transitioned into American folk, took a long journey through prog rock and, over the past couple of years, have really fallen in love with English and Irish folk.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Saw Bernie Worrell from Funkadelic and Talking Heads-- not really my first choice of music, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Just a bit before that, I saw Richard with Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell. Loved Richard's (all-to-short) set and had more fun than I expected with Rodney and Emmylou.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Can vinyl count? I just picked up an LP of one of Ian Matthews early solo albums and one of John Martyn's 80s works... I'll let you know when I've got the chance to listen  Wink

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Dave Swarbrick and I will sing (and play) Rosie!
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #761 on: May 18, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »

Hi Austin, and welcome. I'm interested to hear what you rthink of '80s john Martyn. Which album is it?
Austin S

« Reply #762 on: May 18, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

Thanks for the welcome, Alan! It's 'Piece By Piece.' I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to it later today. I love everything I've heard of John's 60s and 70s work (and love large portions of 'Grace & Danger'), but I know that some of John's mid-to-late 80s stuff is a bit maligned among fans of his earlier stuff. I'm definitely excited to dip into this portion of his catalog, though, for better or worse  Wink
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #763 on: May 19, 2013, 11:26:33 AM »

Thanks for the welcome, Alan! It's 'Piece By Piece.' I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to it later today. I love everything I've heard of John's 60s and 70s work (and love large portions of 'Grace & Danger'), but I know that some of John's mid-to-late 80s stuff is a bit maligned among fans of his earlier stuff. I'm definitely excited to dip into this portion of his catalog, though, for better or worse  Wink

Yeah, some peopl e don't like the '80s production on those albums, or the mainstream turn his music took, and I have to admit I had to get through this before i liked some  of that period. Piece by Piece, though, I liked from the word 'go'. Bought it on release in '86, and took to it straight away. You probably already know it's one of a handful of JM albums which has become difficult to find on CD.
Austin S

« Reply #764 on: May 22, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »

Yeah, some peopl e don't like the '80s production on those albums, or the mainstream turn his music took, and I have to admit I had to get through this before i liked some  of that period. Piece by Piece, though, I liked from the word 'go'. Bought it on release in '86, and took to it straight away. You probably already know it's one of a handful of JM albums which has become difficult to find on CD.

Well, I finally got around to spinning it last night. While I'll have to say I prefer John's earlier work (more my style), I definitely enjoyed this album. It had the 80s aesthetic to it which, of course, dates it, but I'd have to say that it aged pretty well. I find myself missing the extensive guitar work from John's earlier albums, but his songwriting and voice are still in pretty top form. Any advice for what other 'late John' albums are especially worth checking out?
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #765 on: May 23, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »

Well, I finally got around to spinning it last night. While I'll have to say I prefer John's earlier work (more my style), I definitely enjoyed this album. It had the 80s aesthetic to it which, of course, dates it, but I'd have to say that it aged pretty well. I find myself missing the extensive guitar work from John's earlier albums, but his songwriting and voice are still in pretty top form. Any advice for what other 'late John' albums are especially worth checking out?

Cooltide is a good one, think it was 1991. Great groove on the title track, and the rest is a good listen too, in that soulful, late JM way . If you want a good live Jm album, try to find Foundations - reisseud as Live @ the Town and Country club (90% sure about this, do check). Official Bootleg live in Bristol is very good too.  
Austin S

« Reply #766 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:10 PM »

Cooltide is a good one, think it was 1991. Great groove on the title track, and the rest is a good listen too, in that soulful, late JM way . If you want a good live Jm album, try to find Foundations - reisseud as Live @ the Town and Country club (90% sure about this, do check). Official Bootleg live in Bristol is very good too.  

I'll look for Cooltide for sure. Actually found a copy of Foundations at a record store near University of Illinois for three or four bucks-- it's really fantastic! Besides the presence of some of the 'classics' (esp. "Johnny Too Bad"), I really enjoyed the more 'recent' material on there and adored his take on 'Over The Rainbow.' Thanks for the tip, Alan
Yavanna69 (Sophie)

« Reply #767 on: August 12, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »

Hello!

Here are my answers, in order of questions asked. (I really like this quiz btw - what a great way to welcome new people).

1. I am Sophie Watson, and I'm from Ipswich.

2. I joined Talkawhile for two reasons. Firstly, I've been meaning to for years. And secondly, at least three people came up to me at Cropredy this year and said 'hi Sophie, nice to see you, you're on Talkawhile, aren't you?' - so I thought I had better get myself on here. (It was slightly disconcerting that people knew me by name when I *haven't* been on here, but that's Facebook for you!)

3.   I've just attended my 25th consecutive Cropredy so I am reasonably familiar with both Cropredy and Fairport  Smiley

4.   I like folk, folk-rock, bluegrass, rock, classical and heavy metal. And morris tunes.

5.   The last festival I attended was Cropredy 2013, which was one of the best I can remember. The last gig I went to was Peter Knight's Gigspanner at Boxford Fleece, which was fantastic. (In between I sang Verdi's Requiem with The Really Big Chorus at the Royal Albert Hall - not sure if that counts as a gig.)

6.   The last CD I bought was Doors at Eight (Live), at the Gigspanner gig. I would heartily recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen them. Anyone who has seen them has probably already bought it  Smiley

7.  Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Freddie Mercury and I will sing The Show Must Go On. But tomorrow I might change my mind and be Tom Lehrer, and sing Poisoning Pigeons in the Park.

Sophie
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #768 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

Hi Sophie  Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Yavanna69 (Sophie)

« Reply #769 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:35 PM »

Hi Zoe!  Cheesy
Viv G

« Reply #770 on: August 12, 2013, 08:28:19 PM »

hi Sophie, I always thought you were already on TAW! Smiley
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #771 on: August 12, 2013, 09:19:26 PM »

Hi, Sophie! Welcome on board.  Cheesy

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Austin S

« Reply #772 on: August 12, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »

Hullo, Sophie, and welcome! I'm fairly new here myself and have found the community to be very friendly and an awful lot of fun! Enjoy!!  Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #773 on: August 13, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »

Hi Sophie. You're the second person i've ever met who comes from ipswich, and if you're like the other one, you're very welcome. Cool
Yavanna69 (Sophie)

« Reply #774 on: August 13, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »

Hi Sophie. You're the second person i've ever met who comes from ipswich, and if you're like the other one, you're very welcome. Cool

Cheesy

Thanks for all the welcomes, everyone!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #775 on: August 13, 2013, 12:55:19 PM »

Hi Sophie - it was me that said "You're on Talkawhile!"

It's my age....

Glad you've joined tho!  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Yavanna69 (Sophie)

« Reply #776 on: August 13, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »

Hi Sophie - it was me that said "You're on Talkawhile!"

It's my age....

I don't think it was just you so it's OK, you don't need to blame your age Smiley
Danny_C

« Reply #777 on: August 14, 2013, 12:19:06 PM »

Hello all,

My answers are:

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
I am Danny and I am from South Oxfordshire (near Abingdon to be slightly more accurate)

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
I have read the forums off and on for a couple of years so though it might be nice (mainly for you lot) to contribute and let you have the benefit of my pearls of wisdom!

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Been listening to them for more years than I care to admit too! Been to 5 Croperdy festivals including the 2013 last week.  That figure does however not include the one festival which I attended by accident in the early 1980’s which is slightly blurry as we had been on a pub crawl starting in Fenny Compton some hours previously and did not know there was a festival on till we got to Croperdy!
4.   What kind of music do you like?
Punk, Ska, Folk in most of its many and varied forms, Indy, Americana, Blues, and lots of other random bits and pieces which I listen to

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Apart from Crop, it was a Show of Hands gig somewhere in Sussex.  Given that it was a Show of Hands gig it goes without saying that it was very good.  Before that it was The Levellers supported by Dread Zone in Brixton which was a fantastic event

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
The last one was Sigh no More by Mumford and Sons which was surprisingly good if a little lacking in variation.

7.   Complete the following sentence:

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Richard Thompson and I will sing:  ' 52 Vincent Black lightning' and yes I know it’s a bit of a obvious option but it still send shivers down my back when he starts to play!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #778 on: August 15, 2013, 02:47:33 PM »

Hi DAnny and welcome. Cool
hurdygurdyman (Paul)
Banjo music is happy music

Loc: Shrewsbury, Shropshire

« Reply #779 on: September 05, 2013, 07:49:57 PM »

Hi all - I've been on Talkawhile a while although not very active (laptop collapse, lost passwords etc.) but it's good to see faces at the bar this year. I recently released a 3 track cd with peggy, Chris L, PJ Wright and Jeremy (Leatherat) on it. It sold a few at the cd stall at Cropredy. Thought some of the members here might be interested - medieval rock and bluesy French dance. Where would be a good place to mention it.
Cheers,
Paul
PS I'd do a smiley but it doesn't seem to work for me

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got swing
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: