TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:03:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 735830 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #800 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:51 AM »

Welcome, Matthew.  Cool
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #801 on: November 07, 2013, 03:09:23 AM »

Hi, Matthew! Glad to have you-- I think you'll really enjoy yourself here  Grin
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #802 on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »

Welcome Mat .

Tee hee ----. No Seriously .

You are what you eat !!!
JP6490 (Josh)
n3wb

« Reply #803 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Good Afternoon to all the TAW folks!

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
Hey, i'm Josh (JP6490) and I live in the Midlands, next to Coventry. But spend a lot of time commuting to London, but also spent the last 4 years up in Leeds where i studied.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Have a passion and interest for all types of folk music and looking to discover new artists and make some online buddies.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Classic British folk band from late 60s.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Acoustic singer songwriter / pop/ folk/ blues / jazz / bits and bobs of motown and soul.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Last festival i went to was Glastonbury 2013, i was one of the fortunate ones to get a ticket and i loved every minute of it! Some of my festival highlights were By The Rivers, Bobby Womack, Kenny Rodgers and The Rolling Stones Smiley

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
It was friend of a friends band recently who are up and coming, however i first saw them live at BBC introducing at Glasto, The album i last brought was the self titled debut from By The Rivers and i would highly recommend it. Very reggae/ska influenced but they have nice harmonies with catchy hooks/chorus's.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer John Mayer and I will
            sing:  ' Slow dancing in a burning room'  

Look forward to chatting to some of you!
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #804 on: November 14, 2013, 06:49:21 PM »

Good afternoon to you Josh, and welcome!  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #805 on: November 14, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »

Welcome, Josh! Looking forward to getting to know you.  Smiley
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #806 on: November 14, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

Welcome Josh,

If you would like to remove your 'anonymous' tag (which will prevent you from accessing various things) have a look on your home page and you should see something (probably in big red letters which will help you become unanonymised  Cheesy

Jude  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
JP6490 (Josh)
n3wb

« Reply #807 on: November 15, 2013, 08:16:38 AM »

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Ok cheers Jude, i will check that out  Smiley
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #808 on: November 15, 2013, 09:19:27 AM »

Hi Josh. Cool
featherhead (Dot O)
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

« Reply #809 on: November 22, 2013, 03:30:49 PM »

Hiya,
I'm Dot and you can see me wearing feathers at lots of festivals (if they are blocking your view please tell me rather than making comments about dusters!)  Seriously I do move them onto the side rather than the top of my head once the band is on.
Joined talkawhile due to a thirst for knowledge (or ale) and wanting to know the order of appearance for Butlins.
Fairport, first saw them at the open air theatre in Regents Park doing Gottle of Geer.  The album was not rated but Swarb was absolutely wonderful, I'd never seen a fiddle solo with so many effects.  Absolutely spellbinding.  First went to Cropredy in 1979 as my first ever camping experience.  Probably a lot better in hindsight than at the time, but I still go and I still camp.
Like folk, prog and heavy metal, used to supply the crosswords to Kerrang, Hot Metal and Metal Hammer.
Most recent gig I went to was Bellowhead at Cheltenham Town Hall and surprisingly the sound really wasn't too bad - vocals a bit muffled, but for Cheltenham that counts as excellent, as normally everything is muffled.  Had to miss Karine Polwart the night before as cough was too bad and I didn't want to muck it up for other listeners, but luckily Bellowhead were loud enough for me to not disturb anyone.
Wintersmith was the last CD I bought, sadly its jumping a lot so can't recommend yet, but what I can hear between glitches sounds good.
Last question I will have to think long and hard about.
See lots of you at Butlins.
Dot aka Featherhead aka Dottifaleriamism.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #810 on: November 22, 2013, 04:14:50 PM »

Welcome Dot, lovely to see you here.. the feathers shouldn't be a problem  Grin

and P.S. look at the posts a bit before yours to see how to become unanonymised  Grin

Jude - (newbie welcomer)  Grin
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:27:10 PM by jude » Logged

Stevo Cummisk
n3wb

« Reply #811 on: December 16, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »

Steven, from Rochdale

As a big fan of Steeleye Span, I discovered this site through searching for them, and decided it seems a place for me.

I am a big fan of Fairport, owning most of their albums (favourite might just be Rising For The Moon) and having seen them live once. I do intend to finally go to Cropredy one of these years.

Glam rock and Folk-rock, along with middle of the road and classic rock of the 1970's really.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Simple Minds/Ultravox which was great, although I preffered Ultravox's shorter set. Then a night later went to Sham 69, as we thought we'd experience a punk gig, and it certainly was an experience!  Shocked

Kiki Dee - Stay With Me. Haven't played it yet, but managed to buy it for a cheap price, as it went out-of-print!
Before that though, it was Wintersmith - Steeleye Span, which I most certainly would recommend to anyone.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I would be my all time favourite singer Maddy Prior, but rather than go against my masculinity, I'll be Noddy Holder, and I'll sing Everyday.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #812 on: December 16, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

Welcome Steven.. lovely to virtually meet you  Cheesy

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #813 on: December 17, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

Hi Steven, and welcome. Cool
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #814 on: December 17, 2013, 03:03:31 PM »

Hello Steven! Always good to meet new Talkawhilers. Join in and don't be shy!  Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #815 on: December 17, 2013, 03:12:41 PM »

Yes, come on, Steven!  Speak to us!  Are you still with us, Steven?!   Grin  Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Stevo Cummisk
n3wb

« Reply #816 on: December 17, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »

Thanks very much for the warm welcome everyone, I look forward to inputting to the community.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #817 on: December 22, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »

It seems,when I joined this board I lurked for a couple of months,then joined in a thread,and never filled out the welcome form,so here goes:

Hello,Cilla...My name is Mike or Bassline to those that know me,because I'm a bass player,but mainly because if someone asks me if I like a song,my reply is likely to be 'mmmmm....good bass line.' I'm from Wolverhampton (no sniggering at the back).

A man in a trenchcoat with a hat pulled over his eyes,who said 'I've got a shooter'.

I've got all the albums on CD,and everything from the first album up to Moat On The Ledge,plus Gladys and Five Seasons on vinyl.I've been to every Cropredy from 1990 to date,bar two,because another bloke in my department at work booked a fortnight's holiday two years running over Cropredy weekend.
After the second time,I put my notice in.I HAVE to go to Cropredy.
I'm fairly clued up on FC history,having read several biogs on the band and R.T,Sandy etc.

Pretty much anything if it's sincere and artistically creative or even heavy metal.Sometimes commercial cliched pap too.

Blues,Doo-Wop,Rock 'n Roll,Soul,Funk,60's,70's,Glam,Punk,Reggae,Pop (pre-millenium on the whole),Psych,Prog,Indie,Orchestral (Bach,Tchaikovsky,Stravinsky,Sibelius,Debussy,Satie,Reich),Glenn Miller,the main 4 being Pink Floyd,Frank Zappa,Led Zeppelin and Fairport - which is why I wish I had been to the Bath festival in 1970.If you did go,I hate you.(Not really.)

(in June 2008 it would have been) V.A.S.T at the Carling Academy April 1st.
It was the most boring gig I have ever seen.There was one song by them,Touched,that came out in 1999,and was used in an episode of Angel.I thought,and still do,it was an epic song.It had a female voice singing in the background that added a lot to the atmosphere.
So we went mainly to see that song performed nice and loud,live.
There was no female vocalist at the gig,so that was a major hole in the performance.They DID have a violinist,who could have played that part well (there were no words for the female vocal) but he just played drone notes.As he did on all the other songs,which all sounded exactly the same.However,the support band,Scanners,who I'd never heard of,were brilliant,and I shall be buying the CD.(I have in fact bought both of them by now,and a third is imminent.)  

A Box Of Pegg's :A delight for bassists or non bassists.Not only do you get loads of Peggy performances,you also get Beth Nielson Chapman singing Sandy Denny's Solo,which made me cry at Cropredy last year.Oh...and it's got my name in it,so yes I would.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (Frank Zappa) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (an instrumental)

Well I never did..
Rachel Jones

« Reply #818 on: February 20, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »

I'm Rachel, originally from Lancashire but now resident, at enormous cost, in London.

Was looking for somebody who could tell me the questions about Steeleye Span asked on Mastermind, because I missed it and wanted to test myself. That's how much of a Steeleye geek I am. Joined ages ago but haven't posted much or said a general hello.

I really like some Fairport stuff. Not so much recently (and by that I mean the last 20 years or so). And not much that us sung by by Swarb. Been to Cropredy once, back in 92 when I was 15.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Far too much to list. All sorts.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? Steeleye at the Barbican on their Wintersmith tour. They were absolutely awesome. Seen them loads and this was one of the best.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? 'Endless Flowers' by Crocodiles. Really brilliant in places, not so much in others. Worth a listen if you like a bubblegum noise pop indie sort of thing.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. Maddy Prior and I will
            sing:    The Weaver and the Factory Maid, whilst playing some air power loom.

Hello all.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

Welcome Rachel, hope you enjoy having a natter here

Jude  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 56   Go Up