TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:30:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726594 times)
Andrew S

« Reply #740 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
I'm Andrew and i'm from Fife in Scotland

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
Having been to two Fairport Concerts and Cropredy and also meeting a few of you, thought I had best say hi in here!

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
Been twice to Fairport and once to Cropredy!

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Quite a mixture, can range from folk (with a real love of Scottish), hint of Classical, Film scores (the real ones, not the stuff used in transformers), some forms of rock and there is club music as well (but we wont get into that)

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Night of Film and Musicals with Ruthie Henshall and John Owan Jones. And it was spectacular, ended with a Les Mis Medley.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

The Hobbit by Howard Shore and very highly
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #741 on: January 03, 2013, 11:58:04 PM »

Big cred to them, they could be our grandfathers!

Speak for yourself  Smiley

Another of those second division(ish) bands who did the uni circuit in the early 70's. Ah, Razamanazz!
As for being my grandfather they could be my brothers!!!!!

much my  own thoughts, they were always a good night out in the 70's and were not in the same league as Purple, but god love them for persistance

The Dude abides
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #742 on: January 04, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »

Big cred to them, they could be our grandfathers!

Speak for yourself  Smiley

Another of those second division(ish) bands who did the uni circuit in the early 70's. Ah, Razamanazz!
As for being my grandfather they could be my brothers!!!!!

much my  own thoughts, they were always a good night out in the 70's and were not in the same league as Purple, but god love them for persistance

I was given Greatest Hits for Christmas. They had a lot of good numbers.

Paul

Gabby
n3wb

« Reply #743 on: January 18, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »

Hiya,
I've got my real name on now. I'm gabby in leicester. Love all kinds of folk and put on gigs in the area.
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #744 on: January 18, 2013, 08:11:26 PM »

Hi Gabby from another Leicester dweller. I put on gigs at the Musician in Leicester. Where are your gigs?

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #745 on: January 18, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »

Gabby, let me know if it's a regular night and I'll add it to the club pages on http://www-fatea-magazine.co.uk

Cheers

Neil

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Gabby
n3wb

« Reply #746 on: January 19, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

Hi guys,
Ive been registered a few days now and was wondering how long it's likely to be before I can post properly and start topics?
Thanks for the messages so far. Gigs in a few diff venues but have things coming up at The Soundhouse and Cookie Jar that I'll post more info about. Always good to meet other promoters.
Thanks!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #747 on: January 19, 2013, 06:40:10 PM »

Hi guys,
Ive been registered a few days now and was wondering how long it's likely to be before I can post properly and start topics?
Thanks for the messages so far. Gigs in a few diff venues but have things coming up at The Soundhouse and Cookie Jar that I'll post more info about. Always good to meet other promoters.
Thanks!

You probably need to have made 10 posts and chatting a bit on the board before you can do various things on this board.. it's to stop people posting an advertisement and running away and never posting again..  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Gabby
n3wb

« Reply #748 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:36 AM »

Ahh ok makes sense. Do many of you go to many festivals on here/meet up?
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #749 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:40 AM »

A few meet up regulary at the same festivals, others more intermittantly.  I tend to go to Cropredy and Big Session(though not this year it appears), and i am looking for another festival for the summer, but not too sure if we can ge the time.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Jean L-D
n3wb

Loc: Hyde, Cheshire

I AM calm - until the computer won't work!

« Reply #750 on: February 17, 2013, 06:25:22 PM »

Who are you and where are you from? Hi everyone! My Name's Jean and I'm from Greater Manchester. We've recently moved house and are just starting to see the carpet under all the boxes! I like this way of breaking the ice introducing myself to everyone here!

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? I found Talkawhile on a day at work, covering for reception and things were quiet, so I was just browsing anything I could find to do with Fairport Convention and Talkawhile popped up! It's taken me quite a while to join as I don't know anything about forums.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? I've met them three times now (they're all lovely!), and been to Cropredy once.  I'm going again this year with my youngest daughter again. I know Chris and Ric are veggie, like me and we have a very tenuous family link with Fairport, as my partner is godfather to one of Clive Gregson's nieces, and Clive wrote 'Home is Where the Heart is' for Fairport.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Anything as long as it's good. My taste is very eclectic. It ranges from reggae, to pop, to folk, to country and a lot of everything else in between. I'll listen to anything. I started to lear to play the guitar about a year ago and my tutor's a classical guitarist and I'm finding I like what I'm playing.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? Cropredy 2012 and Fairports Wintour concert at the Lowry, Salford a couple of weeks ago. What was it like? Wow, Wow! and Wow!!! They're always fantastic to watch and really nice guys to meet afterwards.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The last album I bought was 'All the Good Friends' by Red Shoes. That was on download though. Does that count? I would definitely recommend it and I think I've introduced my daughter to Red Shoes's music as well. She seems to like what she's heard.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Eva Cassidy and I will
            sing: 'Fields Of Gold'

Those are the answers of Jean L-D for tonight, Sir Robert!

We all come from the same place and we all go back to the same place. Why can't we all live in THIS place in peace?
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #751 on: February 17, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »

Hi Jean and welcome.

I am sure Red Shoes will pop up and say hello later, as they are posters on this forum.

Paul

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #752 on: February 17, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

Ah good the link worked.. welcome again Jean.  Cheesy

Do look around the board and join in with any topics that take your fancy  Grin

Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #753 on: February 17, 2013, 10:48:55 PM »

Welcome Jean.  Clive Gregson is a super song writer.  Any Trouble covers were a big part of the set list of an old band I played bass in.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Ian Mannering (MMIR Radio)
n3wb

Loc: Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom

Be who you want to be, Whant to be who you are.

« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2013, 07:46:55 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have been a follower of Folk Music ever since my first visit to a club/pub back in the 70s although i suppose you could argue that as i was a big fan of "The Seekers" and "The Spinners" my fondness goes back into the 60s, and still visit various clubs whenever i get the chance.
Back in the mid 70s i used to frequent a couple of Folk clubs around the Potteries and Leek/Buxton areas but now mainly local to meetings.

I am now located in Telford, Shropshire, but do get about a bit and try to visit Folk clubs when traveling/holidays…etc.

One of my other interests is my Internet Radio Station (MMIR), and i am trying to build it up to broadcast as much music by Independent/Unsigned musicians as i can.

So if you are a Folk Music enthusiast and feel you could put together a 1 hour program dedicated to Folk music… please drop me a line.

Best wishes,

Ian.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #755 on: April 24, 2013, 09:21:25 AM »

Just catching up;

Hi Jean, and Hi IAn.  Smiley
Ian Mannering (MMIR Radio)
n3wb

Loc: Telford, Shropshire, United Kingdom

Be who you want to be, Whant to be who you are.

« Reply #756 on: April 26, 2013, 08:49:47 AM »

Hi Alan, nice to meet you.

Just wanted to add, that i have updated my main webpage (Front Page and Inside), take a peek.
www.manneringmedia.co.uk
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #757 on: April 26, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

Just wanted to add, that i have updated my main webpage (Front Page and Inside), take a peek.
www.manneringmedia.co.uk

I'm getting a message 'high risk website blocked' on this. Would you check you're okay virus wise?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #758 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:19 AM »

www.manneringmedia.co.uk

I'm getting a message 'high risk website blocked' on this. Would you check you're okay virus wise?

Me too  Shocked

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #759 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

Who are you and where are you from? Hi everyone! My Name's Jean and I'm from Greater Manchester. We've recently moved house and are just starting to see the carpet under all the boxes! I like this way of breaking the ice introducing myself to everyone here!

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? I found Talkawhile on a day at work, covering for reception and things were quiet, so I was just browsing anything I could find to do with Fairport Convention and Talkawhile popped up! It's taken me quite a while to join as I don't know anything about forums.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? I've met them three times now (they're all lovely!), and been to Cropredy once.  I'm going again this year with my youngest daughter again. I know Chris and Ric are veggie, like me and we have a very tenuous family link with Fairport, as my partner is godfather to one of Clive Gregson's nieces, and Clive wrote 'Home is Where the Heart is' for Fairport.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Anything as long as it's good. My taste is very eclectic. It ranges from reggae, to pop, to folk, to country and a lot of everything else in between. I'll listen to anything. I started to lear to play the guitar about a year ago and my tutor's a classical guitarist and I'm finding I like what I'm playing.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? Cropredy 2012 and Fairports Wintour concert at the Lowry, Salford a couple of weeks ago. What was it like? Wow, Wow! and Wow!!! They're always fantastic to watch and really nice guys to meet afterwards.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The last album I bought was 'All the Good Friends' by Red Shoes. That was on download though. Does that count? I would definitely recommend it and I think I've introduced my daughter to Red Shoes's music as well. She seems to like what she's heard.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Eva Cassidy and I will
            sing: 'Fields Of Gold'

Those are the answers of Jean L-D for tonight, Sir Robert!

Clive will be playing at Biddulph Folk Club in a months time with Kim Richey on a double bill. Not too far from G Manchester as its next door to Congleton.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: