TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:38:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726430 times)
Maurice N

Loc: Kent

Do you hear me now?

« Reply #720 on: October 14, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »

Hiya.I'm Maurice and live in Kent.Been here ten years now.Born and bred in London.

Thanks to my sisters and brother,I grew up listening to The Beatles and though I still listen to a hell of a lot to them,I've broadened my horizons ,musically.

Only been in the last few years that I've taken to folk seriously.Through Dylan and to a much lesser extent,The Byrds,I found out what a great folkie world that there is.

Nick Drake,I love.Recently "found" Trees.Amazing group.But,Fairport are IT for me.Quite like some of the more unusual " acid folk" bands and artists.Discovering something new ,almost every day and am doing my best to make up for lost time.

Quite enjoy blues as well.Muddy,Howlin' Wolf,Sonny Boy Williamson,etc.
Big on comedy too.HUGE fan of Spike Milligan,Peter Cook and Monty Python.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:06:12 PM by Maurice N » Logged

I think that maybe I'm dreaming
I smell cinnamon and spices
I hear music everywhere
All around kaleidoscope of colour
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #721 on: October 15, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

Shake my hand, Maurice. Only last night I was listening to my 4th, i think, edition of Trees: The Garden of Jane Delawney. (2LP, Sunbeam records). I sometimes think they beat Fairport, but you have to be careful saying things like that around here.  Wink

Maurice N

Loc: Kent

Do you hear me now?

« Reply #722 on: October 15, 2012, 09:53:28 PM »

Shake my hand, Maurice. Only last night I was listening to my 4th, i think, edition of Trees: The Garden of Jane Delawney. (2LP, Sunbeam records). I sometimes think they beat Fairport, but you have to be careful saying things like that around here.  Wink

Hiya Alan,
I love those 2 Trees albums.On the Shore is magnificent.

I smell cinnamon and spices
I hear music everywhere
All around kaleidoscope of colour
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #723 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »

Hi all, new here. Love folk rock, as long as the energy's there  Wink. Lives in Stockholm, Sweden, 43 years old.
I am not known in any Fairport stuff yet, will go there of course. Listens to at the moment all from Blackmore's Night (medieval stuff) to Levellers, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys. As you may understand I come from the more harder school, favourite all time band is Nazareth, still going strong with Dan McCafferty screaming his lungs out still great, did also sing on a tune by ex Naz member Manny Charltons solo cd back in 2005. Have my own band to, combining folk elements with rock. So that's me! Yes I am a taurus, born in may, love all the good things in life :-)

Have a great day!

/E
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #724 on: December 02, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »

Welcome Emil

It's all a bit quiet here at the moment as many of the forum members are larking around at the Great British Folk Festival... but they'll soon be back... Shocked

If you would care to head over to this section

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=28526.0

You'll find another welcome awaiting you.. do wander around the board and make yourself at home

Jude (newbies minimod) Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #725 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:01 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

Emil from Stockholm, Sweden

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

Because I love the combination of folk music and rock music. Love medieval stuff also and Irish style music. I understand you can discuss these kinds of music on this forum.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Heard the name but not so much more

4.   What kind of music do you like?

folk music, rock music, music with melody in any genre really...

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Skrömta gig, my band was opening. Skrömta is a very Swedish kind of folkband.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

last cd must be Demons unbroken. well its pretty good. dave hill still can sing.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Dan McCafferty and I will
            sing:  Razamanaz
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #726 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:10 PM »

Thankyou Jude :-) I did what you requested. Have a great evening!! In Sweden it's chilly and 25 centimeteres of snow outside the window. winter is here....
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #727 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:26 AM »

Welcome Emil. Smiley
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #728 on: December 03, 2012, 04:12:47 PM »

thanx Alan!
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #729 on: December 03, 2012, 09:19:23 PM »

Hi all, new here. Love folk rock, as long as the energy's there  Wink. Lives in Stockholm, Sweden, 43 years old.
I am not known in any Fairport stuff yet, will go there of course. Listens to at the moment all from Blackmore's Night (medieval stuff) to Levellers, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys. As you may understand I come from the more harder school, favourite all time band is Nazareth, still going strong with Dan McCafferty screaming his lungs out still great, did also sing on a tune by ex Naz member Manny Charltons solo cd back in 2005. Have my own band to, combining folk elements with rock. So that's me! Yes I am a taurus, born in may, love all the good things in life :-)

Have a great day!

/E

'ow do chap.  
Nazareth aren't my favourite band but I liked them a lot, had a couple of their singles, and now have a Greatest Hits, they seem to be largely forgotten so nice to hear a mention of them. I keep hoping they will be on a festival bill at somewhere I'm going, but they haven't been yet.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #730 on: December 03, 2012, 09:42:52 PM »

Have a great day!

/E

'ow do chap.  
Nazareth aren't my favourite band but I liked them a lot, had a couple of their singles, and now have a Greatest Hits, they seem to be largely forgotten so nice to hear a mention of them. I keep hoping they will be on a festival bill at somewhere I'm going, but they haven't been yet.

They are certainly not forgotten. Did a great cover of this flight tonight. Always thought they were a good band.

Paul

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #731 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »

Have a great day!

/E

'ow do chap.  

They are certainly not forgotten. Did a great cover of this flight tonight. Always thought they were a good band.

Paul

That's good to know.  Smiley  This Flight Tonight was indeed a great cover version.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #732 on: December 03, 2012, 09:52:17 PM »

Have a great day!

/E

'ow do chap.  

Paul

That's good to know.  Smiley  This Flight Tonight was indeed a great cover version.

and it was the thick end of 40 years ago Shocked
how did that happen?

The Dude abides
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #733 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »

Nazareth are still big in the world, but not UK. In Russia, Canada, Brazil, Germany they are playing 3 000 + audiences. two new studio albums in the last three years, top 40 on the charts in many countries. Dan McCafferty is still screaming his lungs off and the new stuff is good. Last song was released two weeks ago, a new song for the Austrian Ski Team (official song for 2013). They are around 66 years old but are harder than ever. Big cred to them, they could be our grandfathers!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #734 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

Big cred to them, they could be our grandfathers!

Speak for yourself  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #735 on: December 04, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »

Big cred to them, they could be our grandfathers!

Speak for yourself  Smiley

Another of those second division(ish) bands who did the uni circuit in the early 70's. Ah, Razamanazz!
As for being my grandfather they could be my brothers!!!!!
Emil from Sweden

« Reply #736 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:09 AM »

Hi Dave,

well, in the UK maybe they are known as second division, but in many countries they are as big as AC/DC, Deep Purple etc, depending on their different hit singles and continued legacy. I think Dan McCafferty is one of Scotlands top 20 richest, but that is Sun saying it...
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #737 on: December 04, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

Given the low life expectancy he's probably one of the to 20 oldest as well!

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #738 on: December 04, 2012, 12:05:43 PM »

I loved Nazareth and I'd love to see them live. I'm a big fan of the booze & fags-addled gruff Glaswegian voice - think Alex Harvey, Maggie Bell, Brian Robertson et al  Cheesy

As for being my grandpappy, big brother more like!

Welcome Emil  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
northseajoe
Trees? Really? I thought it was broccoli....

« Reply #739 on: December 04, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »

I loved Nazareth and I'd love to see them live. I'm a big fan of the booze & fags-addled gruff Glaswegian voice - think Alex Harvey, Maggie Bell, Brian Robertson et al  Cheesy

As for being my grandpappy, big brother more like!

Welcome Emil  Smiley

I know what you mean about the rough Scottish edge, but I always mentally classify Dan McCafferty with Tony McPhee (England) and Rory Gallagher (Ireland). Illogical, I know.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: