TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:33:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726621 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2011, 05:16:28 PM »

I give up, I should know.or should be able to figure it out but I can't....

NWOBHM?? Huh

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #481 on: January 15, 2011, 05:20:43 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

New Wave of British Heavy Metal

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #482 on: January 15, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

Would never have guessed that in a thousand years, had got as far as Not What One's Brain Hears (as) Music... Cheesy

jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #483 on: January 15, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

Would never have guessed that in a thousand years, had got as far as Not What One's Brain Hears (as) Music... Cheesy

Sounds as if you got it right Jude

(gets coat............)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #484 on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

Sounds as if you got it right Jude

(gets coat............)

Ha ha   Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #485 on: January 15, 2011, 11:14:09 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

You obviously had better things to do on Friday nights back in the late 70s/early 80s than listening to Tommy Vance on R1 then Jude. And you weren't reading Geoff Barton in Sounds either.  Smiley  Shocked

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #486 on: January 15, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »

NWOBHM?? Huh

You obviously had better things to do on Friday nights back in the late 70s/early 80s than listening to Tommy Vance on R1 then Jude. And you weren't reading Geoff Barton in Sounds either.  Smiley  Shocked

Wasn't listening to anything then Albie. Was the beginning of the unlistening years.... Shocked

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #487 on: January 28, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »

Gulp...as a very long time lurker on this site, but only an occasional poster I decided to click on some of these other topics, and low and behold, it seems as if I never introduced myself properly. So here is the requested information-

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
My name is Robert, and I am from New York City. Lived in NJ for most of my life, and now am back in NYC happily.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
I have lurked on here often (such a bad word for it isn't it?). It has been my primary source for info about Fairport and related, other than Fairports website for some time now, then I decided....you know, I do know a few things too...maybe I should contribute too!

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
November, 1987. Sophomore in college, Worcester Massachusetts. Dragged by my roomate to see Jethro Tull at the Centrum, lucky enough to have gotten seats about 15 rows back center stage. Program purchased (and still possessed!), oh theres an opening band....Fairport Convention..who is that? Friend notes, oh that guy is in Tull as well. From the first notes my ears perked up. This was like my dad's old Clancy Brothers records rocked up-electric violin, mandolin...some weird thing that looked like a guitar but wasn't a guitar (bouzouki), traditional songs done rock and roll style-it was very, very exciting, a musical highlight for me, being introduced to music that has brought me so much since. Much research done after that show, which was not necessarily easy in those (shudder) pre-internet days, but before too long I had a bio of the band, and managed to find some cassettes of a few albums. Only then did I start digging even deeper-what is this Albion Band about? Iain Matthews? Jerry Donahue? Oh...you mean that woman on Battle Of Evermore used to be in this band....and so on. Have had the pleasure of seeing them many times now here in the States, but sadly, I still have never been to Cropredy. But my wife and I are planning for it within the next 1-2 years, so looking forward to it.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
Fairport really brought me out of what was a "classic rock" existence at the point mentioned above. Because of them and the entire Fairport family tree, I can genuinely say it has led me into so many areas, and I really do owe it to them. Besides various rock music-everything from the Killers and Scissor Sisters to Bob Seger and The Ramones and all in between I also love-old school country (Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Loretta Lynn, etc), Blues, some Jazz, Classical, and a lot of World Music(especially African, Cuban, Scandinavian and Italian music). Most importantly, Fairport opened the window to traditional music for me, be it old timey American, Canadian etc, but especially from England and Ireland (my Mom being from Donegal). Last couple of years I have been delving into a lot of the source music for people like Fairport, Martin Carthy, and so on, as well as continually building my library of folk and folk rock from its inception right up to the present.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Hot Club Of Cowtown, few weeks ago. Amazing as always! Book them for Cropredy!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Bob Seger-Early Seger. Not nearly long enough, and not nearly rare enough, but still worth it for a glimpse of some early Seger. There is a cover of the Allman's Midnight Rider, and the highlight for me, a song called Wildfire that should have been a hit-great piano driven rocker straight from the midwest.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Bob Seger (name of singer) and I will
            sing: Even Now  (name of song)

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #488 on: January 28, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

Hi RobertD and welcome. After seeing your recommendation for Hot Club of Cowtown I checked thm out (on Google video). Very nice. Yopu might just like to have a try of Hot Club of Norway or Norvege. Very similar...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »

Hey, RobertD, I was born in Worcester myself! Are you still in the area?
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »

Thanks David, and Bob. I live in NYC now Bob but I was in Worcester this past summer for my 20th reunion from Assumption College. Worcester is still much the same! Cheers!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Ian C

Loc: Nottingham

People's Republic of Cropredy t-shirt

« Reply #491 on: February 04, 2011, 01:37:53 PM »

Hi everyone,

I'm Ian and Carolyn from Red Shoes recommended joining this forum so here I am.

I married my new partner, Judith, last September and we live in Nottingham which is a pretty good area for lots of live music.

By day I work for CSC - a global IT and Business Consultancy - as a Senior Consultant in the Business Architecture practice, but that's enough of that  Undecided

In my spare time I play in a band called Zulu Road ... here's our website http://www.zuluroad.co.uk
It's good fun and we do a lot of gigs for charity and fundraising.
I also organise regular Oxjam musical fundraising events in Nottingham - the last two raised £500 and £640, so it was worth the effort.

I've also done a lot of long distance charity bike rides, including Coast to Coast, but this was curtailed for a while due to my cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy treatment. However, I'm starting to get back into some cycling and I've got a charity ride booked for this coming September.

We have a lovely chocolate labrador called Clemmie and spend most of our time trying to keep her out of any water she sees !
My musical tastes are wide and varied and too long to list here but I'm happy to talk for hours about it if we ever meet ... you have been warned !!!
I started playing music when I was 8 by learning the cornet and playing in brass bands then school bands and orchestras and local youth bands and orchestras. I still play it now and again but now concentrate on stringed instruments - guitar, mandocello and a bit of banjo

Started going to Cropredy when I met Judith ... she's been going for years ... meet up with a growing group of friends which is now 3 generations.

Last record ... well given to me as a birthday present recently .. .Ray Davies, Meet My Friends ... the man playing his songs with a different guest on each track ... You Really Got Me with Metallica is excellent !!

Well ... thats a bit about me

All the best, Ian
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #492 on: February 04, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »

Welcome Ian C! Any friend of of Carolyn's is a friend...etc. Don't be a stranger.  Smiley

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #493 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:21 AM »

Hi Ian, only just noticed you took the plunge Smiley. How lovely and do stick around, fine bunch of people and lots to talk about.

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Ruth from Stroud

« Reply #494 on: February 07, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »

Hello Ian, nice to see another familiar face!
Ian C

Loc: Nottingham

People's Republic of Cropredy t-shirt

« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2011, 05:03:05 PM »

Hello Ian, nice to see another familiar face!

Hi Ruth - nice to see you here

All the best, Ian
Mick
n3wb

Loc: North Derbyshire (via Planet Gong)

« Reply #496 on: February 13, 2011, 09:39:01 PM »

Hi! I'm Mick, originally from West Wales, lived in many different places/countries, but now in Chesterfield/Sheffield area

Common interests (and I just got a dongle!)

I'm a fan of FC and Cropredy (Listening to BBC Sessions as I write!)

A wide range, but FC, Nick Drake, Jethro Tull are particular faves.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
I saw Fairport in Chesterfield last thursday (10th Feb). They were superb as usual.

FC - 'Festival Bell'. Yes.
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #497 on: February 13, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »

Common interests (and I just got a dongle!)

Quickest custom title ever?  Grin

Welcome aboard Mick!

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
PeteN

« Reply #498 on: February 26, 2011, 11:08:45 AM »

I'm Pete and I live in Matlock, Derbyshire.

I was searching  for folk forums in order to spread the word about Tir na nOg's forthcoming visit to England as I've been involved in helping arrange two of the gigs. All a little mercenary if I may say so but I must say that I'm already finding this forum very refreshing and welcoming and now I've set foot here I'll join in as best I can.

Saw Fairport a couple of times in the 70's and Swarbrick and Carthy about 5 years ago. Also saw Ken Nicol and Ashley Hutchings last year. I did try to get to see Fairport more recently but it was sold out so went to see Harvey Andrews instead. I know of Cropedy but don't do festivals due to a back problem and all that standing  Sad

I'm a big Leonard Cohen fan. He's finished his world tour now and I can't afford to go to any more of his concerts!
I also like the newer progressive music. I follow Mostly Autumn and see them about twice a year. Also, the same genre, I like Porcupine Tree, Pineapple Thief, The Reasoning, The Decemberists to name a few.... and not forgetting the older progressive scene e.g. Gentle Giant, Caravan, BJH etc.
On the folk side I'm a big fan of Tir na nOg as well as the following to different degrees of fandom.... Incredible String Band, Robin Williamson, Gordon Lightfoot (I notice there's a Gordon Lightfoot concert on BBC4 this coming Friday  Smiley ), Martin Carthy, Dave Swabrick, Strawbs, Decameron, Steeleye Span and of course Fairport (but have to admit that I need to rediscover them - there....I've bared my soul!)

The Reasoning at Leicester Y Theatre last Novemeber and it was a superb performance. They had recently downsized from a 7 piece to a 5 piece and it really made a difference...much tighter and less cluttered. More recently, on a smaller scale, went to see Damien Barber and Mike Wilson at Belper folk club.... very enjoyable and enjoyed their banter and stage craft...wished that Damien played his guitar more than he did - but his musicanship with the concertina was a delight.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead. Highly recommended. This is a good CD to visit first if you're not familiar then build up to the preceding  folk/ rock opera
titled Hazards of Love. The Crane Wife is also a must.
7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. Leonard Cohen and I will   sing: The Gypsy's Wife.

Pete
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #499 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »

Saw Fairport a couple of times in the 70's and Swarbrick and Carthy about 5 years ago. Also saw Ken Nicol and Ashley Hutchings last year. I did try to get to see Fairport more recently but it was sold out so went to see Harvey Andrews instead. I know of Cropedy but don't do festivals due to a back problem and all that standing  Sad

Standing? At Cropredy?

The whole idea seems preposterous!  Grin

Welcome on board Sir.

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: