TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:34:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726436 times)
folk fan jimmy

« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2010, 08:15:28 PM »

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #401 on: August 04, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »

Hello and welcome Jimmy.
Very glad you enjoyed the Warwick festival, quite a few Talkawhilers including myself are regulars there, so perhaps we will have the opportunity to meet you at next years event.
Also hope you are able to get down to Cropredy in the not too distant, you'll find it really is a special place, once you have sampled the atmosphere, you'll not want to be anywhere else come the second weekend of August each year.

Great to have you aboard the good ship Talkawhile
Dizzy Sue
n3wb

Loc: Staffordshire

« Reply #402 on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:08 PM »

Well Hello!!!

My name is Sue, some of my friends call me Dizzy, probably because I am!

I am originally from West Bromwich but now live in Great Wyrley, Staffs.

I have joined Talkawhile after being recommended to do so by my friend 'Red Shoes' Carolyn who I have known for more years than I care to admit to!

I will be attending Cropredy FOR THE FIRST TIME!! this year and am very excited at the prospect!

I like all sorts of music from Ave Maria to the Ace of Spades - music is my drug.  I love singing and playing the guitar.

The last gig I attended was my own - you will have to ask the audience what it was like!

The last CD I bought was for my Mum - it was 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' (Ian Campbell Folk Group)

and as for my all time favourite singer....I will give it due consideration Sir Robert and get back to you  Wink

Can't wait for Cropredy to meet new people and hopefully make new friends  Smiley
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #403 on: August 04, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »

Well Hello!!!

My name is Sue, some of my friends call me Dizzy, probably because I am!

I am originally from West Bromwich but now live in Great Wyrley, Staffs.

I have joined Talkawhile after being recommended to do so by my friend 'Red Shoes' Carolyn who I have known for more years than I care to admit to!

I will be attending Cropredy FOR THE FIRST TIME!! this year and am very excited at the prospect!

I like all sorts of music from Ave Maria to the Ace of Spades - music is my drug.  I love singing and playing the guitar.

The last gig I attended was my own - you will have to ask the audience what it was like!

The last CD I bought was for my Mum - it was 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' (Ian Campbell Folk Group)

and as for my all time favourite singer....I will give it due consideration Sir Robert and get back to you  Wink

Can't wait for Cropredy to meet new people and hopefully make new friends  Smiley

Welcome, as Caz will have told you we are an extremly likeable, kind and considerate bunch of people and you will have fun here.  Just watch out for that fat Billy, he is a scoundrel but you will get used to him (I find it best to ignore him actually) Mines a pint of Old Hookie at the Pavillion next Thursday lunchtime.  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »

Another member to the West Midlands crew, bostin!!  Cheesy

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Dizzy Sue
n3wb

Loc: Staffordshire

« Reply #405 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »

Thank you for your welcomes  Smiley I am starting to recognise a few faces now - Caz introduced me to a few people on another 'well known social networking site' Aha!!

It will be nice to meet you all in person!  I am sure we are all not one inch square and two dimensional as our profile pics would suggest lol!

Smiley
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #406 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »

Thank you for your welcomes  Smiley I am starting to recognise a few faces now - Caz introduced me to a few people on another 'well known social networking site' Aha!!

It will be nice to meet you all in person!  I am sure we are all not one inch square and two dimensional as our profile pics would suggest lol!

Smiley

Hello Sue and welcome, any friend of Mark & Carolyn is OK by me. Have a great time at Cropredy
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »

Smiley

Hello Sue and welcome, any friend of Mark & Carolyn is OK by me. Have a great time at Cropredy

Lovely lady and look forward to introducing you all to her at the bar at Crop Smiley

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Damian from Pressgang
n3wb

« Reply #408 on: August 05, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »

Hi all. I am slowly getting the hang of this forum I think, and it is very exciting to see and read the thoughts of so many folk rock fans. I have always been a big Steeleye fan. The great thing about the internet is the way one can get in touch with others with similar interests all over the world, I feel it is giving new life to those of us who aren't really into the "mainstream" and this makes it easier to support a wider range of tastes and cultures. I am someone who is now getting into songs from regional languages and finding out bands and artists doing that is fascinating.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #409 on: August 05, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »

Great to have you here Damian. I have been following your band for many years and remember some fantastic gigs when I had close connections to Reading. Happy to hear you are active again.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #410 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:08 PM »

HI Damien. You'll probably very much enjoy it in here...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #411 on: August 08, 2010, 07:21:21 PM »

Hello all, My name is Keith and I've been a board member since August 2004 but only just plucked up enough courage to start posting and adding my Avatar (hopefully Colin will sort me out).

I will try to answer Sir Robert Peel's questions so you can get to know me.

1. My name is Keith (I already said that) an I reside in the sunny hills of Bedfordshire. (hills?)
2. I joined Talkawhile because I love all things Fairport.
3. I was introduced to Fairport by a mate in 1984. I first attended my first Cropredy Festival in 1985 and never looked back. This year will be my 14th year and I have seen and met the Chaps on many a winter tour.
4. I like Rock, Folk, Folk/Rock, Blues & Prog Rock.
5. The last gig I went to, a couple of months ago, was an young upcoming blues guitarist called Matt Schofield (and his band).
6. The last CD I bought was Carole King Tapestry, after reading somewhere on Talkawhile when someone recommend it. It did not disappoint! (or was it Fame and Glory by FC & Co, also very good)
7. Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Sandy Denny and I will sing: ' Fotheringay' . It's just so haunting, gives me goose pimples every time. RT guitar is so perfect.  

I hope my avatar is up before Wednesday so you could recognize me at the bar.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #412 on: August 08, 2010, 07:24:55 PM »

Hello Keith Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #413 on: August 08, 2010, 07:34:17 PM »

Welcome Keith (oh no not another one) Wink
Come & see us at the bar. You will get a warm welcome & a beer (temperature of your choice).  Fez

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »

Thank you for the welcomes. (Still no avatar up yet)

I look forwards to seeing you all in that Sunny field  Smiley

Well it's turned out nice again!
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

Welcome Keith (oh no not another one) Wink

Excuse me???   Shocked

Suzi H

« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:59 PM »

1) Hi! My name's Suzi, and I live in Ingleby Barwick, Stockton on Tees, with 10 yr old daughter, 4 cats, a husky malamute that thinks it's a chiahuahua, two rabbits, a guinea pig, a canary and a husband called Kev (who has also just signed up). I'm a teacher and education manager in a men's prison here in the north east, and also freelance as a writer.  In my spare time I sing in a group with Kev. Oh, and fire breathe, but not usually all at the same time.
2)I joined up here because I'd meant to visit bloomin' yonks ago, didn't get round to it, then got a nudge by reading the nice write-up in this year's Cropredy programme
3) I was introduced to Fairport by my husband - he's got a 22-year head start on me, so was into all of this before I was even in existence. I've always liked folk music, and it was one of the things that brought us together.  Six years ago we decided to give this funny little festival that no one had ever heard of a go, and that was it, really. There was no escape.
4) Apart from folk, I also love country, rock, classical, and also pop. Jazz is about the only thing I still can't get my ears around!
5) Cropredy was my last gig, but I also recently saw Seth Lakeman at the Hartlepool Tall Ships, and Scissor Sisters at the Brixton Academy. I plan to kidnap Jake Shears as a pet.
6) Last CDs I bought were Bellowhead's 'Burlesque', The Best of Jackson Browne, and 'This is War' by 30 Seconds to Mars
7) Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be Richard Thompson, and I'll be singing 'Beeswing' (the guitar melts me every single time!)
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #417 on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:38 AM »

Hi Suzi and welcome!  You most be the only TAWer I've met "in the real" before meeting you on here!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »

helllo suzi ... nice to see you Grin

Welcome to our little band united by a field in Oxfordshire  Fez Tiara
Big Martin

Loc: Bristol UK

Old Re-enactor

« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »

Hello from another new member. To answer the questions:

1. My name is (rather obviously) Martin. I live just north of the South Gloucestershire boundary with Bristol where I work as an insurance underwriter. Having had my little brother and his new, Texan, wife just move out (but only as far as my late parents' house next door) I'm rattling around a nice 50s semi and doing what I want and playing music wherever I go from my streaming system.
2. I've been meaning to join up here for years but I saw the article in the R2 I picked up at Cropredy and thought "right".
3. I first saw Fairport back in the 70s at the Colston Hall during the "Rising For The Moon" tour and have seen them on and off and individually over the years. I finally got to Cropredy in 2007 after years of it clashing with something or not being able to get the time off. Now I've got the 2011 dates in the office holiday planner already!
4. I'm an old "prog rock" fan (Jethro Tull being my favourite) that drifted into folk rolk and then folk over the years - although, if you saw my CD collection, you might appreciate that I'll listen to pretty much anything from Corelli to Coldplay.
5. The last gig I went to was Cropredy.
6. I rather stocked up with new CDs by some of the acts at Cropredy, plus I've been filling the gaps in my June Tabor collection with cheap secondhand purchases on Amazon.
7. Tonight, as the choir I sing with is on its summer break, I'll be singing along with Simon Nicol as I upload the Simon & Swarb CDs I bought onto my music streaming system.  

There's a heart in every place.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: