TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:46:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726311 times)
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2010, 09:30:19 AM »

Kay that story sounds very familiar. We have a great brewery a mile up the road, but nary a pub in town that sells their beer.  Roll Eyes

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »

Their website says:
Q - Where can we find your beer locally?
A - We have a number of pubs that sell our beer. The best thing will be to give us a call and we can tell you the nearest one to you.

I once did a 30 mile out and back walk up the GU Canal to Tring, having seen a large pub by Tring Station on previous train journeys. The station is literally miles from the town, and the opposite side from the canal. As we approached the pub, the carpark looked ominously empty and a notice appeared to view saying 'We thank our patrons for their years of support and have retired to Spain'!!!!!

Scallyanglo (Kay)

Loc: North London

« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »

I once did a 30 mile out and back walk up the GU Canal to Tring, having seen a large pub by Tring Station on previous train journeys. The station is literally miles from the town, and the opposite side from the canal. As we approached the pub, the carpark looked ominously empty and a notice appeared to view saying 'We thank our patrons for their years of support and have retired to Spain'!!!!!

Thanks for the story. We parked in the station carpark and saw the beautiful ex-coaching house, now a private home.

It is a sorry site - especially, I imagine, when you are long-distance walking down the Ridgeway towards Tring and you see it in the distance and expectation rises only to be dashed!

~ the greyhound jaws of winter have been snapping at my heels ~
Pete in Oxney

Loc: Wittersham, Isle of Oxney, Kent

I will be a better musician one of these days ...

« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »

Hello Kay, good to see you here.  Smiley You need to get another three posts in to vote in the Hancocks!

Edited to add:

I just realised my name on here won't mean anything to you, on other forums I'm tallship ...

I am the writer in sand
Scallyanglo (Kay)

« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2010, 06:54:22 PM »

Hello Kay, good to see you here.  Smiley You need to get another three posts in to vote in the Hancocks!

one Cheesy

Edited to add:

I just realised my name on here won't mean anything to you, on other forums I'm tallship ...

I recognised you - nice to see so many familiar faces here. My pic hasn't been uploaded yet
edited to include;- ooo - just backtracking through posts & saw you mentioned RMc 'Summer Lightning'. Love it but haven't heard it in years. I only have it on vinyl
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:06:32 PM by Scallyanglo (Kay) » Logged

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #365 on: January 19, 2010, 05:56:04 PM »

Kay that story sounds very familiar. We have a great brewery a mile up the road, but nary a pub in town that sells their beer.  Roll Eyes

Is that Potton or Buntingfords? The last I heard the newly re-opened Carpenter's Arms in Great Wilbraham had both.  Smiley

And welcome Kay, it's nice to see you over here.  Fez

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pete in Oxney

Loc: Wittersham, Isle of Oxney, Kent

I will be a better musician one of these days ...

« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »

edited to include;- ooo - just backtracking through posts & saw you mentioned RMc 'Summer Lightning'. Love it but haven't heard it in years. I only have it on vinyl

You will no doubt have seen there's a whole sub forum dedicated to Ralph McTell, I'm a long time fan. I'm now on my third copy of Easy, I wore one vinyl copy out and was just thinking about recording the second copy onto CD when I discovered there was an official release and bought it (along with many others to replace my vinyl collection). I reckon he's done quite well out of me over the years!  Cool

I am the writer in sand
Scallyanglo (Kay)

« Reply #367 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

Hi Ollie!

Haven't got into the RMc sub forum yet - but I will!

We have a brilliant hi-fi emporium (with coffee) just down the road. They have all sorts of cool original 'record players' as well as posh new stuff. And records! I spotted & bought 'No Reels' by Old Swan Band - so I am now committed to buying something (cheap!) to play it.

Big T (Trevor)

« Reply #368 on: January 25, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »

Hi
Here is something about me:

1.   Who are you and where are you from?    
      I'm Trevor from York.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?            
      I came across it last year when people were talking about who was going to be on at Cropredy.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
      How long have you got? In 1969 Unhalfbricking was the first LP I ever bought. Have been to Cropredy for the last 5 years.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
      Fairport, RMcT, Kate Rusby, Queen, Snow Patrol, Muse, Neil Young and many many more.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
      Eliza Carthy in Pocklington - Excellent (as ever)

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
      Chris Wood - Handmade Life. Bought when we saw him at the NCEM in York.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)
      That is just too hard to answer - how can I narrow it down to one.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #369 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:56 PM »

Welcome Big T, hope you enjoy being here as much as I & many others do. Look forward to reading more soon. All the best.  Smiley
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #370 on: January 27, 2010, 12:01:11 AM »

Welcome, look forward to chewin' the fat on a topic or two  Smiley

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Geoff Vince

« Reply #371 on: January 27, 2010, 06:11:58 PM »

Many thanks for the warm welcome, Sir Robert.....!

My name is Geoff Vince. I'm 62, married with two grown-up sons (both musicians), and I live in Surrey.

I first heard about TalkAwhile through the Bulletin Board on Peter Knight's website. As a result, I had been "looking in" on the TalkAwhile site for a month or two with a view to joining, liked what I saw, and here I am....!

As far as Fairport Convention are concerned, all I can say is that they have formed part of my musical education ever since they released their early albums "Liege and Leif" and "What we did on our Holidays". I've yet to see them playing "live", though - a visit to Cropredy is still on the agenda....!

As a guitar player myself, I've been interested in all kinds of music - including the folk and traditional genres - for as long as I can remember. My interest in the guitar meant that I was particularly influenced by musicians such as Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and Stefan Grossman. In the old days, I was a frequent visitor to the "Les Cousins" folk club in London, catching performances there by, among others, Jackson C Frank and John Martyn. My CD collection now is pretty wide-ranging; it's not exclusively folk/traditional but I do enjoy listening to
good melodeon and fiddle playing.

The great thing about traditional music for me is that if anyone should decide to go to, say, a Steeleye Span or Feast of Fiddles gig, the odds are that it won't be long before they get introduced to the music which many of the musicians in those bands are making as individuals. Through those two bands alone, I've discovered the music of Peter Knight's Gigspanner, Chris Leslie, Phil Beer, Ian Cutler, Ken Nicol, the Albion Band - the list goes on! I'd have to say that the band I listen to most these days is probably Feast of Fiddles, closely followed by Peter Knight's Gigspanner.

The last gig I went to was Steeleye Span's Epsom Playhouse gig in November, which was absolutely brilliant. Prior to that, nearly all of the gigs I went to last year were those of Gigspanner - a band which I can't recommend highly enough.

The last CD I bought was actually two CDs at the same time - Phil Beer's "Rhythm Methodist" and Chris Leslie's "The Flow". Both wonderful.

The piece of music which has always inspired me the most in the folk/traditional genre, and which I would love to play with the band (given the chance!), is Fairport's "Come All Ye". Just fabulous...!

I seem to have rambled on a bit so I'd better shut up now - hopefully we'll talk again one day!

richardkendell

« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »

Many thanks for the warm welcome, Sir Robert.....!

My interest in the guitar meant that I was particularly influenced by musicians such as....... Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, John Renbourn and Stefan Grossman. In the old days, I was a frequent visitor to the "Les Cousins" folk club in London, catching performances there by, among others, Jackson C Frank and John Martyn. .......

Obviously a man of refined taste! Wasn't Jackson C Frank great in the 60s?
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »

I've yet to see them playing "live", though - a visit to Cropredy is still on the agenda....!

There is the small matter of the Winter Tour to be taken on board first. See FC website for details (probably The Maltings Farnham if you're in Surrey)

Welcome to TAW.
Geoff Vince

« Reply #374 on: January 28, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »

Hi Malcolm and thank you for your welcome.....

I've taken a look at FC's "Wintour" dates and, as you say, Farnham would certainly be "do-able" for me. Another possibility would be their Tunbridge Wells gig, which is roughly the same distance (I saw Gigspanner there last year).

Many thanks once again for your welcome - and for the helpful information!

All the best for now.

Geoff
Geoff Vince

« Reply #375 on: January 29, 2010, 01:05:23 PM »

Obviously a man of refined taste! Wasn't Jackson C Frank great in the 60s?

Hi Richard - I'd have to agree with you that JCF was one of the greats. He was a brilliant singer/songwriter and a fine guitar player as well. I recently managed to acquire an excellent anthology of his on CD which includes all of the tracks from his Blues Run the Game album and much more besides. Also included are some very informative sleeve notes giving a really good insight into the man and his music, as well as a very evocative description of the "Cousins" scene at that time - great days...........!

A pleasure to have made your acquaintance, Richard.
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #376 on: February 22, 2010, 11:21:43 AM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

I'm Dave Brzeski & I am living proof that there is indeed sentient life in Peterborough

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I've been on the Fairport Internet mailing list for years & have been meaning to get around to having a look at this forum for ages. Finally got around to it.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

See above. First saw them live..... actually, I can't remember, but if anyone has access to details of all the winter tours, it was the Peterborough Wirrina Stadium & it was definitely before my first Cropredy in 1992.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

I've worked fpr the last 25 plus years in a second hand record shop. My tastes are wide & far reaching. Folk & folk-rock, obviously.... plus psychedelia, progressive rock, jazz, blues, world, experimental etc etc.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

Cropredy 2009. Too old, fat & lazy to get to as many gigs as I should.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

I buy more CDs than most people would consider sane. I am the guy who can be seen struggling back from the Cropredy bootsale with anything up to 300 CDs every year. I think the most recent were Jason Steel & The Owl Service's most recent releases. They came in the same package. It could also have been Tiny Tin Lady's 2nd CD, 'Ridiculous Bohemians', which I had resisted, intending to pick it up at a gig to maximise the artists share of the money, but since I rarely get to gigs I gave up & ordered it at last. I would recommend all of them without reservation.

Actually, the last two CDs I bought, were through this very forum since I joined last night, but since they haven't arrived yet they don't count.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Roky Erickson and I will
            sing:  ' I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)'. Tomorrow night it will be something completely different, as it will the night after that.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #377 on: February 22, 2010, 11:57:20 AM »

Roky Erikson singing I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night .... having a little difficulty conjuring up that image. Will you have the guy playing the electic jug providing percussion?  Grin
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #378 on: February 22, 2010, 12:05:14 PM »

Roky Erikson singing I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night .... having a little difficulty conjuring up that image. Will you have the guy playing the electic jug providing percussion?  Grin

Hey, if one is going to embarrass oneself with the state of one's memory, best to get it out of the way early don't you think? Maybe I was just Pushing Too Hard!* Would have been good though wouldn't it? Thinking about it, I can't say I can actually remember the name of the Electric Prunes' vocalist at that time.

* Yes, I do know that one was Sky Saxon & The Seeds, but I couldn't make 'You're Gonna Miss me' fit the context. LOL
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #379 on: February 22, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »

Hey, if one is going to embarrass oneself with the state of one's memory, best to get it out of the way early don't you think? Maybe I was just Pushing Too Hard! Would have been good though wouldn't it? Thinking about it, I can't say I can actually remember the name of the Electric Prunes' vocalist at that time.
Grin Great first post. I can see the seeds of a brilliant TAW career taking root.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: