TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:00:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 734422 times)
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #300 on: December 04, 2009, 08:28:34 PM »

.......Hello all  Grin *waves*

Welcome aBoard  Cheesy Cool

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #301 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »

Hello all  Grin *waves*
Welcome! You're just in time to join in the nominations for the Hancock awards, so get your 10 posts under your belt so you can participate in those threads  Grin
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #302 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »

Lots of newbs - how lovely!  Welcome all, especially Pete, who I know from "another place"  Wink

And also to Mike - Bangor University eh?  Hubby and I are both Bangor graduates, and number one son is in his first year there.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #303 on: December 04, 2009, 11:17:44 PM »

Welcome newbies all!  Cheesy Don't worry Mike, we will try not to hold your friendship with Carolyn and Mark against you...... Wink

Pete - you must come along to Cropredy next time. You'll love it!  Fez Tiara

Loobcom - a Chris Wood fan? You are a person of excellent taste.  Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Mike Wilson

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2009, 09:17:20 AM »

Hi Siobhan... nice to bump in to you again!!

Hi Shelley... I'm a Bangor Grad too (1999!), what subject is your son studying? I see you're in Manchester too... I lived in Didsbury and Poynton before emigrating to Wales!

Oh Shirl.... have I inflicted myself by mentioning "the shoes"??!!

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #305 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »

Hi Siobhan... nice to bump in to you again!!

Hi Shelley... I'm a Bangor Grad too (1999!), what subject is your son studying? I see you're in Manchester too... I lived in Didsbury and Poynton before emigrating to Wales!

Oh Shirl.... have I inflicted myself by mentioning "the shoes"??!!

Not at all Mike! Some people think I can be a minx, don't know where they get that idea from Roll Eyes

C xx (otherwise known as Reg)

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Mike Wilson

« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »

I'm yet to meet Reg!  Wink

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #307 on: December 05, 2009, 09:44:15 AM »

I see you bought your chum with you, on your profile pic Mike Tongue

C xx

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Mike Wilson

« Reply #308 on: December 05, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

she follows me everywhere, the ol' dear!  Tongue

Pete in Oxney

Loc: Wittersham, Isle of Oxney, Kent

I will be a better musician one of these days ...

« Reply #309 on: December 05, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »

Thanks for all of the welcomes (hi Shelley).  Grin

Bob, I'm not sure I'll get up to speed with the board quickly enough to involve myself with the Hancock Awards this time around, I need to do the proper newbie thing and do lots of reading before barging into threads just to up my post count, bad form on any forum that. Still, I do know more than a little about the works of Ralph McTell so I may be able to join in a few threads there before too long.  Smiley

I am the writer in sand
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #310 on: December 06, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

I heard about it at a Chris Wood gig I attended tonight at The Union Chapel

Welcome, loobcom. I was at the same gig. Nice to see Chris Wood receiving his well-deserved Hancock, and gratifying that it brought some publicity for Talkawhile. I wonder if any other new members were prompted to join after that event.

BTW, the gig prompted some ramblings on my own blog (link below), though more from offstage chat than onstage performance.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Marc

Loc: North West England

« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

My name is Marc. I have a French Christian name and a very Welsh surname, but I am English and I'm from, and live, in the North West of England (which I love, apart from the cold. I hate the cold. And I also hate mosquitoes. It's too cold for them up here, so every cloud....)

I went to a Martin Carthy gig the other week and was blown away. I wanted to track down a song he played so came looking for a forum where I could ask. Had a great, welcoming response and have been reading round here as a result and have decided that I'd like to stick around. I would very much like to learn.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

Never been to Cropredy, although I am a seasoned festival goer, having attended many rock, pop, folk and world music festivals in the past. Not missed going to a festival during summer for the last 2 decades (started very young - 13 year old Glastonbury debutant. I have been a fan of Fairport, Richard Thompson and Sandy Denny for many years. I am not a musician but love music a great deal - apart from enjoying music I work in areas related to music including promotion, marketing, press, journalism and DJing. DJing feels like a bit of a cop out as far as contributing to music goes, I reckon, particularly when I hear some of my amazing musician friends playing. However, everything has it's place and although the best warm up for a folk act is undoubtedly another folk musician, I was once offered the opportunity to play as warm up act at a venue in Manchester where my friend worked programming music. He was/is a dance music DJ and the venue were branching out into promoting shows by a wider variety of acts so offered me the gig. "Who've you got coming up that your struggling to compliment?" I asked my buddy. "Don't suppose you could do anything at a show by either Terry Callier or a folk band called Fairport Convention?"my friend asked. I couldn't believe my luck. So about 6 or 7 years ago I got to set the mood/play some background music for a great, soulful, black, American singer/songwriter hero of mine and also for one of England's greatest folk rock bands. I was so excited, but very worried - I consider myself an amateur folkie now - 6 or 7 years ago, looking back, I'm deeply embarrassed at the extent of my knowledge. I watched the band soundcheck for a while and then I set up, upstairs, in the balcony-based DJ booth, only to be completely put off concentrating by Fairport walking right past me in order to take their place at the dinner table just down the aisle. I was turned into a gibbering wreck when one of the band, Chris Leslie, approached me later to ask what I was up to. I meekly showed him some of the vinyl records I'd brought and had begun to play - I remember having a couple of Bert Jansch LPs, my two Shelagh MacDonald albums, some early Tim Hardin, a Pentangle LP or two, some Nick Drake, a Leo Kottke LP, a Danny Thompson LP with Songhai, a Nic Jones LP, a couple of John Martyn LPs and a Karen Dalton LP. Chris was so warm and enthusiastic, I think he knew I was out of my depth talking to him, but he was so encouraging. I was made up. After they'd finished their tea the band proceeded to play a great set - my first Fairport gig, I'd never even heard them with Ric and Chris before and I was blown away particularly by their virtuosity and the traditional tunes their inclusion enabled. At the end of the gig, like the rest of the audience, I roared my approval and as the band bade farewell, Chris Leslie was the last to address audience, who he thanked for their attendance, he thanked the venue and the sound engineer and as a parting shot he said "And thanks to Marc for the records!"

Hardly the most rivetting anecdote you'll ever wade through so much waffle to get to the end of, but it's my very own, very slight connection with Fairport Convention (and you did ask), a heartwarming experience that will stay with me forever, so thank you very much, the most kind Mr Chris Leslie.

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Folk, rock and pop music from many different eras and countries. I particularly like Latin American folk and dance music, African fusion music, contemporary singer songwriters, many European folk styles, American rhythm and blues, soul, pop, rock and roll (particularly of the 1950s and 60s), bluegrass and various other offshoots of country music.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

In the last few weeks I went to see loads of live music, the highlights were Martin Carthy (which I've already posted about) and Spiritualized, who were also brilliant.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

I buy loads of CDs. Too many! I think all the music I buy is great otherwise I take it back. Recently I bought the debut solo album by U.S. bluegrass-influenced singer songwriter called Dave Rawlings, the husband of Gillian Welch (they perform as a duo and have a sublime vocal pairing - think Don and Phil Everly or the McGarriggles). Try "Sweet Tooth" or "Bells Of Harlem" from that if interested, they're great. I bought a compilation of Ghanaian afro-fusion music from the 1960s-1980s, the latest Hope Sandoval album, soul reissues by Brooks O'Dell and Freddie Scott, two (on 1 cd) great 'lost' 1970s Pakistani film soundtracks by M Ashraf, a live album by Emmylou Harris, lovely vinyl reissues of Nic Jones "Penguin Eggs" and Dick Gaughan "Handful Of Earth"...... I could go on

7.   Complete the following sentence: “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. oooh, tough one, maybe Garnet Mimms? and I will sing Hank Snow's (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I, although, were I forced to use my own voice, I wouldn't venture further than "3 Steps To Heaven"!
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »

Marc

What an introduction. I for one look forward to seeing what else you will be having to say on here.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Geoff Boswell
n3wb

« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »

Geoff Boswell, now living in Wednesfield, near Wolverhampton (turn right at humanity).

A belated but increasing interest in the genre.

The Fairport Covention was signed in 945 by King Aethelgrupp The Bellowed Head and Lady Madelaine de Priuere to ratify the convention of the saxons blaming invaders from the East for raping, pillaging, body odour, bad harvests and morris dancing. The meeting of the Saxon king and the Dane lady took place at the busy fishing port of Fair, near Telford. 'Copreddy' was a rural, and specifically agricultural term of that time, used especially in August and September to mean "time to get off my fat serfs ass and do something I suppose". That assumed the invaders from the East had not caused a bad harvest.

Varied, I grew up with Mott The Hoople and Ian Hunter, saw Hunt & Turner at an impressionable age, fell in love with Judie Tzuke, but would also cite Marillion (post Fish), Happy Rhodes, Peter Gabriel and other contemporaries as of interest. Copes very well with classical music especially Maria Callas, confesses a liking for Madness and would state that two recent albums of much preference to be 'John Barleycorn Reborn' and the 'Imagined Village'.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

It was probably a Judie Tzuke gig which would have been superb regardless of anything. I don't get out much.

Dunno whether I'd recommend it as I've yet to hear it. I've just bought my wife Tori Amos' "Midwinter Graces" for a solstice gift. Don't tell her.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer 'Judie Tzuke' (in wig, frock and dentures) and I will
            sing:  ' Like The Sun'. Either that or my classic ancient Wednesfield folk tune "Hey Sal, the Whippets Run" which what I wrote last week.

Enough. I think I should have taken this seriously, but its dark and I'm feeling insecure.

Big love to all, Geoff xxx   Wink
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

I can see you're going to fit right in.  Grin
You're very welcome  Fez
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #315 on: December 20, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »

Welcome Geoff Grin

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2009, 01:22:20 PM »

Yeah Welcs. Geoff, fly the flag for Wednesfield! And Bilston!
anuhel
n3wb

« Reply #317 on: December 29, 2009, 11:28:47 AM »

Hi I'm Anuhel, Songwriter, Singer Guitarist
I wish a peaceful and happy new year to all of you
http://www.anuhel.com

more infos about me:

http://www.myspace.com/anuhel

some bio notes

THE ARTIST
Anuhel grew up in Rome, since she was 6 she liked to sing, her family didn't care so much about music, so she spent her days listening to the radio trying to learn her favourite songs, when she was 10 she finally got her first guitar and at 12 she wrote her first song (Each Man, the second song of TRUE LOVE CD), She was not so familiar with english at that time so she used the words from a poem of Oscar Wilde. She studied classic lyric and jazz singing at the Italian conservatory, then Ishe worked as back vocal singer with some italian major artist, She worked for RAI television too.  Her life changed about 3 years ago when  a special person in her life convinced her to write music by herself believing in her vocal capabilities and talent. She wrote the whole album in 1 month then her and her band recorded everything in 2 weeks. Right now she's working on new songs for the next album.

THE ALBUM
Maybe it’s the intensity of her look, or maybe the undisputed care, passion and class in this project. It is however difficult to establish what that magical and irrational sensation, which transpires while listening to “True Love”, really is. It is the first work by an artist/songwriter who tells us about her youthful experience through a very personal style. ANUHEL has managed to blend in a transparent and organic manner the atmospheres of the capital of the world, Rome, her home, and those of the open, wide  spaces of west America.  With no doubt, in this work there is more than just the mere music and lyrics. The manner in which great classics have been elaborated, the spontaneity and freshness of the original compositions, the unique colour of the voice, all lead to a rare matching of talent and rationality. And probably this complexity of sensations is the most attractive element in “True Love”, a record that will surely leave a mark in the minds and in the hearts of those who listen to it.

THE BAND
Anuhel's band has become her family lately, They are special friends, great musicians and artists

Marco Massimi, bass player, producer, sound engineer; He is a really faboulus musicians, he plays with Ennio Morricone, (you can see him on many videos of the Maestro), He played with Claudio Baglioni, Laura Pausini, Alicia keys,  Patty Austin, etc. He's also a great sound engineer working for RAI Radiotelevisione Italiana since 20 years now

Giovanni Mancini, guitars, he plays with Nicola Piovani, Italian rockstar Morgan, he's on my favourites friend on myspace, he's got a unique sound and unmatched music taste

Giancarlo Guidoni, Drums, he plays with Nicola piovani, Cristian de Sica, Claudio Baglioni, one of the best pupils of the Toto's great past drummer Jeff Porcaro.

Maurizio Tagliaferri, Accordion, Bagpipe, Mister wind!! Great folk player,he is the Jolly of the band, (and Marco's uncle!!) he plays the italian bagpipe named Zampogna, an amazing sound!!, he plays also guitar and accordion.

Cinzia di Stefano, back vocal, viola player, percussionist, plays with Mario Biondi, one of Anuhel's best friend!!

Have a nice day

Anuhel
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:09:34 PM by Paul » Logged
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #318 on: December 29, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!  Shocked  Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  Embarrassed)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

4.   What kind of music do you like?

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' ................................'   (name of song)

Thanks awfully.   Fez

Sir Robert Peel
220 years

Don't think you've quite got the hang of this yet Anuhel

Please read the above quoted post and answer the questions. Pretend you've just walked into a room and everybody has asked you them..

and please don't change the title of the threads, it leads to much confusion and the YABB master will get very very cross...
Jude (yes I get everywhere) Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
anuhel
n3wb

« Reply #319 on: December 29, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »

Oooh
sorry I would't be invasive

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!    Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  )

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

I'm Anuhel, from Rome, Italy

I'm an acoustic singer, songwriter, and I think this is a good place to talk about the music I like

All I know I learned from internet, anyway I think they are really great events

acoustic, folk,country

I played on 25th dec (yes on Christmas) in Rome. It was an acoustic duo concert

I recently bought THE PURSUIT from Jamie Cullum, he's great, the songs are beautyfull, anyway the mix and mastering of the CD offended the quality of the artist

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (eva cassidy) and I will
            sing:  ' true colors'   (name of song)

Thanks awfully.  

Sir Robert Peel
220 years
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: