TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:50:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726651 times)
Gilp

Loc: Dumfries,Scotland

« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2008, 12:43:15 AM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? Hallo Sir Robert.  How to start. I am Gilp (But you can call me Jimmy) I come to you from Glasgow via Dumfries via London via Essex via Kingston upon Thames via Huddersfield,via Leeds via Derby and back to Dumfries 200 yards away from Rabbie Burns Mausoleum (which in my humble opine.......is an abortion) I was an apprentice plumber at 15,at 16 an apprentice Welder/Pipe Fitter (Oh,I was born in 1949).  I was licky enough to be an early early Dylan fan and even luckier to have Martin Carthy tell me a bit about him in 1963 when he came to our house searching for my Older Brother who then ran the local Folk Club........I knew there was a booking mistake but I took this gaunt man in a cloak with hood,and a Guitar,to the pub I knew my brother would be in.  I was 5foot2/3 or something,but Martin mentioned Dylans name and I had just got Freewheelin from a source.  He told me about Nottnum Town and Randalls Farewell and it all made perfect sense.....afriend of my brothers even bought me a pint in the 'snug'.
Little did I know that Martin was going to eat MY supper,sleep in MY bed and eat MY bloody Breakfast before disappearing into the mist with a swish of the cloak and hood.  I have seen him and The Watersons in concert a few times since.......but never have I been able to lay my claw upon his shoulder and say........FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.
Any way,as life goes on I ran away (literally) to London to fight the Vietnam War and Civil Rights and CND Campaigns and I remember in Hornsey Town Hall in Crouch End.1968/9 going to see FC (Neil Innes and Robots were a brilliant opener) and later, somehow I bought a Full House Album from Swarb.....only when I got home did I discover there was no Album in the sleeve......I am sure it wasn't deliberate but I reckon Swarb and Carthy owe me.big time.
I ended up as a Lecturer in Sociology and then took early retirement through ill health and a bad case of Anti Thatcherism, came to Dumfries, met a woman from Hell .,ended up in deep Debt and now live skint but happy,with my Border Collie Minx,in a Council House.....the 2nd to have been built in the UK.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? As a member of The Dylan site All Along The Watchtower I read a post about Swarbs Lazarus. I assumed,having read his Obit, that it was cuttings from the floor,snippets or discarded material. I posted same and was (still am really) astonished to hear that Swarb was alive and kicking...........very few times is it given to a man to hear a dead ma alive and doing his thing.........Amazingly I was listening to Dylan singing 'Girl from The Red River Shore where he sings about a guy bringing people back to life.  That stunned me,The Jungian synchronicity still has me in its thrall.
After that I felt I just HAD to come here.And thanks to Billy who gave me the link......here I am.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? I first 'knew' about FC from Si Tu Doir Partir and Swarb from Ian Cambell Folk 4,I was always interested in them,the way they used Dylan songs in an unique way and because Richard Thompsons auntie comes from Beeswing. Grin I also have been to Cropredy 3 or 5 times........I do remember Steve Gibbons and The Dylan Project..........that was a bonus............but every time I saw FC and even when,for reasons so mangled to get into, I sang with Albion Country Band on Stage in Dumfries and then RAN to South Sheilds (among 15 others) over night to sing with Benny the Whale and Bob the Gob.I knew this was THE RIGHT THING TO DO and still do,though I wish I could run instead of plod and sway like an elegant Portigese Galleon trying to get into port in a brisk wind.
4.I like All Folk Music.from the strictures of McColl, though I harbour grudges to Jean Ritchie,Hamish Henderson The Stuarts o Blairgowrie,The Behan Family,Irish folk song was big in my family, we were Celtic supporters,I still am, but they were big Catholics,I aint. I loved ballads and it was easy to go from there to Lonnie Donnegan,Leadbelly,Woody,Hank Williams and then Dylan and Carthy, to FC and now I love everything that I like....I mean I love Lucinda Williams........but don't turn on the telly when X Factor is on please.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
April 2007. Dylan Glasgow.  Some think his voice is cracked beyond repair......I think he's putting us on again....because I heard some lovely lines sang beautifully,where he forgot he was in the frog chorus.
Its always mighty to see a genius ply his trade.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Swarbs Lazarus....I would say that the Government should issue it to every home in the land....it truly is a tremendous disc.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. (Bob Dylan) and I will
            sing:  ' The Talking Hey Martin Carthy DaveSwarbrick you owe me Blues..........................'   (name of song)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:10:25 AM by Gilp » Logged

He not busy being born is busy dying.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2008, 07:11:35 AM »

I also have been to Cropredy 3 or 5 times........

But you're really definite it wasn't 4 times, eh?   Grin  Welcome to the mad house...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Gilp

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2008, 05:46:39 PM »

Well I suppose it could have been 4 or 7 David,The Merry Merlot can alter memory on a daily basis.

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2008, 07:37:34 PM »

Blimey, that is one hell of an introduction............ Tongue Roll Eyes

Welcome, Gilp. Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Gilp

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »

I will take that as positive and say thank you very much gower power. Smiley

Gilp

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »

Of course I meant flower..but more power to you gower. Grin

gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »

Thank you. Grin Tiara

Gilp

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

Yer welcome..............specially since synchronicity played a big part in bringing me here. Grin

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:22 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello new friends, we would like to introduce our selves. We are Mark and Carolyn Evans and have been married for the past 20 years. We write the odd ditty and play a few tunes, have two teenage daughters, three cats called Barnaby, Pepper and Charlie. One mad hamster that nearly put me in hospital the other day by biting my finger down to the bone!! We have a shebunkin called Patrick and a few guitars lying around. Carolyn has been brought up on folk music and likes to wax lyrical about Leige and Lief and the ways of Joe Boyd. Mark comes from a background of T Rex and the Stones and likes to wax lyrical about what guitar strings to use. We are thrilled to join this forum and hope to chatt to many of you on the ways and wherefor's of life and music. Our favorite pub, is the Bell in Adderbury which we frequent quite often at the moment. We live in Birmingham near the Longbridge Rover car factory, except it doesn't make cars any more and will soon be an Ikea. You will be able to tell if it's Carolyn posting due to the fact her spelling is dreadful. Mark's is tip top and his posts are usualy very well laid out. Hope you all had a Happy New year and look forward to some interesting discussions.
Cheers and can we answer all the other questions another day, when we have stopped shaking
Carolyn

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2009, 08:57:46 PM »

Do tell us why you are shaking  Huh Wink

Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »

Hello and welcome Red Shoes.

If you look closely you will see cars being made at Longbridge. Not many cars, I grant you, but the MG TF is being made there in small quantities, and other models will follow next year. That is if anyone is still buying cars by then.

Many parts of the site have been cleared, and an Ikea might well be built on some of it, but there is still a large car factory there in what remains.
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »

Hello again, we are shaking as it seems quite daunting to be on this forum even though every one seems very friendly. We know Our fairy godmother Jude but others are new to us. Also Mr Peel asks so many questions it will take me ages to get my brain into gear to answer them all. As for the cars at Longbridge, we have yet to see one come out of the gates, but there is always hope ( In the process of writing a song called car town ) Roll Eyes Thank you for reading our post, this is all very exciting!
Carolyn

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2009, 11:59:44 PM »

Hi Carolyn,
I've met you over at myspace. I think you both will fit in very well here  Smiley
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:16 AM »

Thank you Bob, I did notice your picture on here. We won't mention the other site! We will upload a picture of us soon ( don't like having my photo took )

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »

Do tell us why you are shaking  Huh Wink

Or tell us what you are shaking? Grin
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Hello Malcolm, shaking a tambourine of course! What else could it be lol Grin

Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2009, 05:02:36 PM »

Hello Malcolm, shaking a tambourine of course! What else could it be lol Grin

Hand? Egg? Like a Polaroid picture?  Cheesy

Welcome ABoard!

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2009, 05:33:28 PM »

Hello again, we are shaking as it seems quite daunting to be on this forum even though every one seems very friendly. We know Our fairy godmother Jude but others are new to us.

Welcome aboard, Kids!  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2009, 05:38:38 PM »

Hello Mate, was wondering when we would see that mug shot. Nice to be on board with you guys and share a fellow interest. How's life?
C x

Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
Folkcorp Guru

The bass player's back !

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2009, 06:11:32 PM »

Mr. Peel, may we answer your questions . . . finally and humbly . . .

1.   Who are you and where are you from?
      Birmingham - please see our first post.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?
      A mutual friend told us about it.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?
      Oooh lots, where do we start - from Unhalfbricking to present day. Got soaked at Crop this year, used to camp, but have dodgy knees now.

4.   What kind of music do you like?
      Folk, rock, bluegrass, country

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
      The Dylan Project, absolutely fabulous! After gig drinks was a hoot!

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
      Box of Peggs - Def recommend!

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Sandy Denny (Carolyn) or Marc Bolan (Mark) and I will
            sing:  ' White Dress'     or 'Ride a White Swan'   (name of song)

Really enjoyed that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: