TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charnock Richard circa 1976  (Read 12572 times)
Neil D
n3wb

Loc: mainly at the bar

« on: August 16, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »

Hi People

Can anyone help me out here?
First time I saw the Fairporters live was at a fest just off the M6 about '76 / '77. They headlined the second (I think) day of a really enjoyable 2 day event. Must have been about this time of year.
Does anybody remember this gig and if so, who else was on the bill over the two days?
I recall sets from Tim Rose (brill) and Barbara Dixon (pretty dire) but struggle to remember others - oh just remembered Otway and Barratt - they were a gas.
Also not being particularly well informed re FC, I don't know what the line up was then  Ric-Full Gerry-Full Simon-Full Peggy-Full Chris-Full.
If anyone was there, do you remember the huge pond in the middle of the arena that the band got us all dancing around?

Neil
  Kiss

Neill

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »

Can't help with the festival, but the lineup would have been Simon, Peggy, Swarb and Bruce Rowlands...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »

Yes indeed - this was the July Wakes Folk Festival in 1977.

If I can refer you back, earlier this year there was a thread on 'Unusual Fairport Shows' (see http://talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=21128.30) where this was mentioned - unusual because during the set Swarb & Simon shed items of clothing (Swarb's trousers & Simon's T-Shirt to be specific).

I might have a programme for the festival somewhere - it actually ran for three days on to the Sunday when it rained rather a lot.  Richard & Linda Thompson were billed as due to appear but didn't - as I recall Gallagher & Lyle (!!) replaced them.  The only other acts I can remember off the top of my head, as well as the names you have listed, were the Bothy Band, 5 Hand Reel & Country Joe McDonald.  If I track down the programme I'll let you know who else was on.

Incidentally since the Unusual Fairport Shows thread earlier this year I have tracked down a photo of Fairport on stage at that very festival - sadly (or not depending on your point of view) it was taken before the urge to strip got hold of Swarb & Simon & the band are fully clothed.  If I ever figure out how to post photos I will do so.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »

See http://tinyurl.com/yo9n4p for how to post pictures.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »

See http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/chorley.html - Not that THEY have much more info than we do.

Interesting site though...

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:59 PM »

Didn't one of the stripping pics appear on the sleeve of a Swarb & Simon CD?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Neil D
n3wb

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »

July/ Chorley Wakes - yes that was it. Thanks.
Can't recall the striptease but do remember a great set - maybe the bet was about getting us all to dance round that pond!
Gallagher and Lyle - yes they were on the bill. I really liked Tim Rose - prefer his version of Hey Joe.
Don't remember it being 3 days but there was rather a good real ale bar at the back of the arena and I suspect I might have spent a sizeable proportion of a rainy day in there! Roll Eyes

Neil

Neill

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:55:29 PM »

Yes, I think it is on the back of the Close to the White Bear CD, which is a composite of their two albums Close to the Wind and Live at the White Bear, except that for some reason it leaves off their version of RT's Pavane, which I've always rather regretted.  I suppose it was lack of space...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

There was a Charnock Richard festival in the summer of 76.  I remember it well living in St Annes at the time as I went on the Saturday and it was the first time I ever heard Fairport or John Martyn. Lying on th egrass when Sailor's Life came over the PA made a huge impression as I had never heard anything like it.

Fantastic bill too: Alan Hull, Dave Cousins, John Prine, 5 Hand Reel, Dave Burland, hedgehog Pie, Steve Goodman, McGarrigles, Alan Stivell, Jack The Lad and that is just from memory. How about that for Friday next year?! Sad that there would be no Steve Goodman though.
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:03:35 PM »

There was a Charnock Richard festival in the summer of 76.  I remember it well living in St Annes at the time as I went on the Saturday and it was the first time I ever heard Fairport or John Martyn. Lying on th egrass when Sailor's Life came over the PA made a huge impression as I had never heard anything like it.

Fantastic bill too: Alan Hull, Dave Cousins, John Prine, 5 Hand Reel, Dave Burland, hedgehog Pie, Steve Goodman, McGarrigles, Alan Stivell, Jack The Lad and that is just from memory. How about that for Friday next year?! Sad that there would be no Steve Goodman though.

And no Alan Hull either, sadly.

And no (!!) after Gallagher and Lyle please.  Yes, the last couple of albums before the split were more than a little poppy and bland - and sold by the ironic truckload, of course - but their earlier albums like the eponymous debut, Willie and the Lapdog, Seeds and the Last Cowboy were under-appreciated acoustic gems with some stunningly good songs.  Graham writes songs in LA these days but Bennie is still working the clubs on his own, and bloody good he is too.

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

I know that I attended but I was only 12 at the time and sadly can't remember any of it Shocked
johnnysaint

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Neil D
n3wb

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:38 PM »

I'm confused a bit now.
Was there a fest @ Charnock Richard 2 yrs running '76 and '77?

Neil D

Neill

pavanne

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 01:48:08 AM »

There were indeed two Charnock Richard festivals (one in 1976, and one in 77).

Fairport played the 77 one - just after Bonny Bunch of Roses came out. We have a programme for this somewhere, will post again when it's rooted out. The only time it stopped raining that year was when June Tabor was on stage, Mr. Pav is still hopelessly in love with her  Wink

Barbara Dickson, Country Joe, Otway & Barratt, 5 Hand Reel and Hedgehog Pie were among other acts (I think!) appearing.

The Country Club on the same site had acts such as the The Wurzels and The Spinners to enter into a 'similar' spirit.

Gryphon were supposed to be on, but pulled out - (allegedly) because they didn't want a 'folky' image!

So, to the story of the striptease...

There was a steep sided pond to the left of the stage (in a showjumping arena?). During the FC set, Swarb offered Simon's T-shirt to the first person to jump in the pond. Immediately (or faster!), someone sitting at the top of the slope threw himself down it. As Simon removed his shirt, he retaliated by offering Swarb's trousers to the next nutter person to go in the pond. The same bloke had just got back up the slope, soaking wet, and launched himself backwards into the pond again. He then proceeded to the front of the stage to claim his togs - wonder if he's still got them?

Lindisfarne were apparently scheduled to be the headliners at the 1978 festival, but pulled out, so that was the end of that...

Not really a newbie, just quiet  Lips Sealed
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:28:08 AM »

Yes, I think it is on the back of the Close to the White Bear CD, which is a composite of their two albums Close to the Wind and Live at the White Bear, except that for some reason it leaves off their version of RT's Pavane, which I've always rather regretted.  I suppose it was lack of space...
Can't tell you anything about when this festival was, but here is the pic from WOODWORM RECORD's "Close To The White Bear" CD, released in 1998. In the liner notes Simon Nicol mentions a Charnock Richard Acoustic Music Festival in the summer of 1983 or 1984, and a small pond separating performers and audience.

[attachment deleted by admin]
pavanne

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 03:06:46 PM »

The Second July Wakes Festival - July 15/16/17 1977

Park Hall
Charnock Richard
Chorley
Lancs

Running Order - from the Official Programme (20p)

Friday 15th - MC Wally Whyton
2:30 - 3pm       DJ, Jerry Floyd
3 - 3:30pm       Tom Yates
3:40 - 4:10      Wally Whyton
4:20 - 5:10      Spriguns
5:15 - 5:50      Ross Macfarlane
6 - 6:45          The Bushwhackers
7 - 7:45          Gryphon
8 - 8:45          Gay and Terry Woods
8:55 - 9:50     Gordon Giltrap
10 - 11           Five Hand Reel

Saturday 16th - MC Noel Murphy
11:30am - 12    DJ, Jerry Floyd
12 - 12:30        Winner of Manchester Evening News cup
12:35 - 1:10     Mary Asquith
1:15 - 1:55       Noel Murphy
2 - 2:50           Hedgehog Pie
3 - 3:45           John Otway and Wild Willy Barrett
4 - 4:45           Drew McCulloch's Almanac
5 - 6               The Bothy Band
6:15 - 7           Tim Rose
7:15 - 8:15       Fairport Convention
8:30 - 9:30       Barbara Dickson
9:45 - 11:15     Gallagher and Lyle

Sunday 17th - MC Tony Capstick
12 - 12:15pm     DJ, Jerry Floyd
12:15 - 12:45    Pete Farrow
12:45 - 1:15     Tony Capstick
1:25 - 2:05       Tannahill Weavers
2:15 - 3:15       Surprise Guest
3:25 - 4:10       Paul King
4:20 - 5:10       Michael Chapman
5:25 - 6:15       June Tabor and her musicians
6:30 - 7:15       Rab Noakes
7:30 - 8:30       Special Guest
8:45 - 9:45       Leo Kottke
10 - 11             Country Joe McDonald

Admission £5.50 for the whole weekend including VAT, camping and carparking.

Day tickets
Friday £2.25
Saturday £3.25
Sunday £3.25
Carparking 25p for holders of day tickets

pavanne

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 04:45:43 PM »

Here's the running order for the 1976 July Wakes festival - http://www.strawbsweb.co.uk/progs/wakes76/page10.jpg.

Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 04:49:44 PM »

Enough on theose to annoy the Cropredy crowd! Wink

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 05:40:01 PM »

BARBARA DICKSON!!!  Surely FC weren't so unpopular that they were down-bill to BARBARA DICKSON!!!!

Mind you, MC's like Wally Whyton and Tony Capstick sounds great fun!!!

Was that the same Paul King as the "Love and Pride"/VJ Paul King?

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »

Re the bill posted above by Pavanne for the 1977 festival:-
The Bushwhackers & Gryphon did not show & were replaced by bands called Biggles Wartime Band (?!!?) & Plexus.  The special guest on the Sunday was Alan Hull & his band, who were calling themselves Radiator at that time.

Fairport were by miles the best thing on all weekend.  A friend of mine who was with me at the festival recalls getting Swarb to autograph a copy of his first Transatlantic solo album (newly acquired at the festival).  This was immediately after Fairport's set & Swarb was happily chatting & signing autographs still sans trousers!  

And no (!!) after Gallagher and Lyle please.

Sorry if this offended.  I saw them a couple of times in the mid 70's & they were fine.  I only meant that (for me at any rate) they were no substitute for Richard & Linda T.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
forever young

keep on rocking

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »

Re the bill posted above by Pavanne for the 1977 festival:-
The Bushwhackers & Gryphon did not show & were replaced by bands called Biggles Wartime Band (?!!?) & Plexus.  The special guest on the Sunday was Alan Hull & his band, who were calling themselves Radiator at that time.

Fairport were by miles the best thing on all weekend.  A friend of mine who was with me at the festival recalls getting Swarb to autograph a copy of his first Transatlantic solo album (newly acquired at the festival).  This was immediately after Fairport's set & Swarb was happily chatting & signing autographs still sans trousers!  

And no (!!) after Gallagher and Lyle please.
Does it mean Simon Nicol was wrong when on the CD cover he remembered it being 1983 or 1984 ? Or was Swarb undressed a second time?

Sorry if this offended.  I saw them a couple of times in the mid 70's & they were fine.  I only meant that (for me at any rate) they were no substitute for Richard & Linda T.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: