TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:26:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Before The Moon-gate  (Read 3176 times)
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« on: August 18, 2007, 04:15:48 PM »

So, some 5 years after the release of the live album of the Rising For The Moon line up, Before The Moon, did anyone ever encounter the single CD version? I have the "rare" Limited Edition which at the time I rushed out to buy, including the limited "Bonus Disc Of The 2nd Set!!". Always the completist, at the time I didn't want to miss out on the extra disc. I distinctly remember this would be available for a short time and then a 1CD version would be the standard release of this title.
But that rare limited edition 2CD set can still be bought at well under $10 these days. What bugs me is that I've never seen a one-disc version. If there ever was a single CD version I bet THAT's the limited edition rarity.

Quite a marketing scam, that, come to think of it. Made fans rush out to buy it when it came out. Tut-tut! The website mentioned on the cover is defunct. Though in essence a welcome release, there were some toe curlers in the artwork. The booklet's back cover is a pic from a 1980s Cropredy - but that's reasonably okay since those pictured are Swarb and Trevor, who both play on the album. And of course there was the spelling mistake which launched a record label: the misspelt Matty Grooves (twice on the back cover). But the price of the silliest mistake was the prominent use of a pic of Richard and Linda Thompson who of course have nothing to do with the album, surpassing even Island's blunder on the first Liege And Lief CD release where they pictured the Unhalfbricking line up inc Martin Lamble who had died before Liege And Lief was in its planning stages.

But that's not really the issue. I think the audience was lied to about this limited edition version - again I distinctly remember a 1CD version announcement at the time which made this one The Album To Get. Time to open Before The Moon-gate ...

Well I don't get any sleepless night or even minute about it, and this has nothing to do with the musicians, and as an album it was welcome and I'm happy it's out there ... but it's not exactly a marketing technique which should be applauded.

Unless someone proves me wrong about this (like, I'll get a rush of emails which go "what!! yours is a TWO disc version?").
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

I think the audience was lied to about this limited edition version - again I distinctly remember a 1CD version announcement at the time which made this one The Album To Get. Time to open Before The Moon-gate ...

Well I don't get any sleepless night or even minute about it, and this has nothing to do with the musicians, and as an album it was welcome and I'm happy it's out there ... but it's not exactly a marketing technique which should be applauded.

Such is life Koen: my love to you, Renate and the kids. The Universal/Island re-releases have been conducted in a dignified and co-operative way which has been mutually helpful: some others have been exploitative (IMO) in an anniversary year with scant attention to detail. But then, if you sign rights away you can hardly complain when you hear the barrel being scraped....

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:09:34 PM »

The Universal/Island re-releases have been conducted in a dignified and co-operative way which has been mutually helpful: some others have been exploitative (IMO) in an anniversary year with scant attention to detail.

The Universal/Island remasters are an absolute delight, yes (and not forgetting the Sandy/RT releases in that series). Having just acquired the BBC sessions box too - a little late - I can say the same about that too, these are definite and dignified releases and a fan's delight (sod the new 2CD L&L tho').
I guess newcomers though won't see the woods through the trees (er, is this English? Well it's a Dutch phrase anyway) with the avalanche of releases out there, especially from the last decade or so.

Actually, IMHO Before The Moon is a delight compared to some of these albums. Take Then & Now, a compilation album from 2002. Has a pic of the Full House line up and the earliest music is from the 80s. You wonder what nuthead puts together rubbish albums like that. I'm not saying the music on it isn't worthwile, but it's a completely unnecessary compilation and there are many of them.

Here's an idea, why not make a seperate Talkawhile topic in which each and every album with the Fairport name on it can be discussed, one entry for every title ever made available, basically for people who wonder whether they are worth it? Because so many are not, and in that I especially mean the 80s/90s material compilations of which there are an incredible lot. I'd say, get the original albums and you're set. The bulk of them are easy to get.

As Simon says, it's beyond the band's control, it's record companies basically doing as they please. That's quite sad.

This has nothing to do with Fairport but recently I read an interview with Dutch "chanteuse" Liesbeth List, quite a big name over here, as is her former musical partner Ramses Shaffy. She was quite amazed to learn that a god-knows-how-many-CD box was released of their work (from the 60s/70s) and she didn't know anything about it. Much as Simon or Jude have said in this forum that they are at times surprised at what gets released of their back catalogue. Now this multi CD box was quite expensive even but they won't see a penny from it. Liesbeth List might record with Shaffy again (who is in not very good health but still has music in him) and approached this (big) company whether they are interested in a whole new album - which for the connaisseur of their work (which I am not) would be quite a thing. They were not - it wouldn't sell, their answer was - and basically, "go away". I think List is actively discouraging people buying this box set, calling the company in question a bunch of thieves. But I understand much has to do with a naive signature in some contract in the 60s.  

I suppose it must be quite disheartening to those who created the music in the first place.
But then, such is life.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: