TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:22:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph on You Tube  (Read 323417 times)
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

... what he lacked in dexterity zipping up and down the fretboard he mroe than amply compensated for with style and taste.

Ralph has a limited palette on the guitar ...

I don’t want to sound like a biased fan blindly jumping to Ralph’s defence (I realise, Al that you were being complementary to Ralph in what you said anyway, so no defence is needed)but I have to say that these comments on Ralph’s playing surprise me.

I have always been so impressed by Ralph’s playing. Also, there are a number of stories such the one in Chris Hockenhull’s autobiography about how his playing at L’Olympia in Paris persuaded the audience that three people were playing which have also led me to assume that there was something exceptional about his playing. I would also have to say that, having sat about 1.5 meters from him as he played ‘That’ll do Babe’, he appeared fairly dexterous to me   Undecided

However, I’m not a guitarist, so I have very little idea of what I’m looking for really. It’s obvious that the definition of ‘good’ depends on what exactly you’re looking for, and of course that different guitarists have different strengths and weaknesses. In fact, this comes out very clearly in what Al says.

What I was hoping, therefore, is that some of you guitarists out there would give me some of your honest opinions of Ralph’s playing so that I get a truer picture of things – preferably in not-too-technical language please!  Roll Eyes  Tongue

Naomi
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2007, 11:33:10 PM »

I'm no guitarist, either, Naomi, but I think Al is saying that, whereas some guitarists show off their lightning fast skills - "zipping up and down the fretboard" - Ralph's playing is more refined: he plays "with style and taste".

Of course, Ralph can play it fast - for example on 'That'll do Babe' - but what marks him out is his ability to play what someone has called "a symphony in six strings".

John.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Al

Loc: Reading

Take it easy

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2007, 10:04:46 PM »

Hi all, back from a ( rare ) sunny week camping - hooray  Smiley

John was more or less representing me correctly, without diminishing Ralph in anyway whatsoever, he is not what I would call a technical wizard ( eg Jaques Stozem ) or particularly inventive ( eg Bert Jansch )but he oozes taste and style and a love for his music and he is a surperb guitarist without any doubt.

I could listen to him play "I Bid You Goodnight" into eternity quite happily, and of course its one thing to follow Ralph's playing and learn how to play his songs but of course, the real trick, is to have the wit to come up with them in the first place. Somethign that is not overly guitaristic ( is there such a word ?? ) like "Summer Girls" for example, is nevertheless just perfect and yet simple, so simple you would think it an easy matter to come with something just as simple and fabulous but it never happens, and that to me, along with the words and the voice, is the sum of the magic and the fascination.

Ralphy is just not in your face, its an altogether more mysterious magic that he weaves around us all  Smiley

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2007, 10:09:08 PM »

"Do you do Dry Bone Rag as well ?"

Hi Henrik, I spent a couple of days on a lincolnshire beach, my eyes nervously scanning the horizon, so much so I did not notice my white belly was turning redder by the minute - so its all your fault I had to avoid the sun for the rest of the week  Grin

Yes, well, I;ve been trying to do the old Blind Blake's since I was about 12 so I;ve had 36 years at it, not sure I sound much like Blake or Ralph but I quite like my Dry Bone Rag and Diddie Wah Diddie, on a good day  Grin

One day soon(ish) I'll try to make time to record myself at them and put them up on the web for you to listen to  Smiley
Henrik
I live in the wrong place - BEEEP !
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark

Oh, hands of Ralph - how you can play !

« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »

"Do you do Dry Bone Rag as well ?"

Hi Henrik, I spent a couple of days on a lincolnshire beach, my eyes nervously scanning the horizon, so much so I did not notice my white belly was turning redder by the minute - so its all your fault I had to avoid the sun for the rest of the week  Grin

Yes, well, I;ve been trying to do the old Blind Blake's since I was about 12 so I;ve had 36 years at it, not sure I sound much like Blake or Ralph but I quite like my Dry Bone Rag and Diddie Wah Diddie, on a good day

One day soon(ish) I'll try to make time to record myself at them and put them up on the web for you to listen to  

Hej igen, Al   Wink

Haha, good one - Oh, I am so sorry to have spoiled your holiday.

I suppose I should have told you that D-day ( D for Dane  Roll Eyes ) has
been postponed indefinitely due to bad weather, high seas and sea sickness ...
also the Swedish slave rowers made a mutiny on one of the longships.

Wow, you certainly started early with those old masters - how long had you been
playing guitar for by then ?

Well, from what I have heard so far, you are doing a great job -
but of course your style would - and should - be different.

That sounds really great, Al - I shall look very much forward to that  ...
and persuade the boys to leave Lincolnshire in peace for the time being  Roll Eyes
[ Since they are already "Danes" around there anyway *LOL* ]

Any chances of Hands of Joseph and Arthur Blake ?

I have figured out about 99 % of HoJ by now, and it's really "floating" well, but I
just can't seem to get that string bending part of the "Great Dreams of Heaven" section right.
Also those very fast base licks with pull offs, hammers and slides completely eludes me  Cry
Have you got any idea about what is going on there ?
[ If not, I will have to do a spectrum analysis of it Grin - it's driving me nuts that I can't figure it out ]

My version of "That'll Do Babe" has improved a lot lately, but I
could always use some extra inspiration for this lovely piece, if that
is on your repertoire.

I have transposed Red & Gold to C, which seems to make quite a
a descent and more (right away) playable version. ( no dropped D - and weird chords *LOL* ).
But I keep working on the one in dropped D that you sent a while back, and it's coming
along slowly.

Nice seing you back, Al.
Henrik

Don't know when we'll meet again ...
All I know is .... that we will.
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »

...not sure I sound much like Blake or Ralph but I quite like my Dry Bone Rag and Diddie Wah Diddie, on a good day.

One day soon(ish) I'll try to make time to record myself at them and put them up on the web for you to listen to.

Well if they are anything like the version of Sand In Your Shoes you recorded for THAT CD in 2004, they will be well worth the wait... Wink Smiley
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2007, 03:04:38 PM »

...not sure I sound much like Blake or Ralph but I quite like my Dry Bone Rag and Diddie Wah Diddie, on a good day.

One day soon(ish) I'll try to make time to record myself at them and put them up on the web for you to listen to.

Well if they are anything like the version of Sand In Your Shoes you recorded for THAT CD in 2004, they will be well worth the wait... Wink Smiley

Yes, we are still impatiently waiting for that CD to be rereleased ...  Roll Eyes

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »

ah Maj, my best ( hopefully not only ) fan  Grin Gosh,was it 2004 !!!Doesn't time fly !! I sent Steve recordings of "Birdman" and "Dry Bone Rag" too but I think he chose wisely as it happens  Smiley

Hi Henrik, yes I do play the stuff you mention, which I'm a bit embarrassed to admit in a way because it rather gives the impression that I sit around playing Ralphy tunes all day when in fact even notwithstanding the fact that I play dozens of his tunes they comprise a teeny part of my 'repertoire'. But, I find that once I've worked one out they just stick around in my head and I drift into them now and again.  "Please Dont Haunt Me" is one that I fall into quite a lot. "River Rising" is one I'm playing a lot at the moment too. "That'll Do Babe" gets a regular airing, as does "Tickety-Boo" which I really really like to play.

Its fascinating watching these people on YOuTube, I'm kind of curious as to why they think anybody is interested, especially as they are generally pretty awful. Not as pointless as the shaky mobile phone footage of gigs people shove on there though I suppose.

BUT, to keep vaguely on topic, one tune I love playing is called "Flowers Form Ayako" and have always been pretty pleased with my version but then I've found this little japanese kid ( age 11 ) doing it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTxNAc_WWg&mode=related&search= ) which undid my ego somewhat ! Cheesy

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2007, 08:34:54 PM »

ah Maj, my best ( hopefully not only ) fan  Grin Gosh,was it 2004 !!!Doesn't time fly !! I sent Steve recordings of "Birdman" and "Dry Bone Rag" too but I think he chose wisely as it happens

Hi Henrik, yes I do play the stuff you mention, which I'm a bit embarrassed to admit in a way because it rather gives the impression that I sit around playing Ralphy tunes all day when in fact even notwithstanding the fact that I play dozens of his tunes they comprise a teeny part of my 'repertoire'. But, I find that once I've worked one out they just stick around in my head and I drift into them now and again.  "Please Dont Haunt Me" is one that I fall into quite a lot. "River Rising" is one I'm playing a lot at the moment too. "That'll Do Babe" gets a regular airing, as does "Tickety-Boo" which I really really like to play.

Its fascinating watching these people on YOuTube, I'm kind of curious as to why they think anybody is interested, especially as they are generally pretty awful. Not as pointless as the shaky mobile phone footage of gigs people shove on there though I suppose.

BUT, to keep vaguely on topic, one tune I love playing is called "Flowers Form Ayako" and have always been pretty pleased with my version but then I've found this little japanese kid ( age 11 ) doing it ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcTxNAc_WWg&mode=related&search= ) which undid my ego somewhat !

Hi, Al  Wink

Wow, that sounds great - already looking forward to those goodies and to what tricks I can pick
up from them. Hopefully they will come with a few hints ?  Cool

Well, I have to say that I am slightly disappointed in you, AL. I for one - and probably many others
with me ? - have just assumed that you were playing Ralphy and related (DBR etc.) stuff 99 %
of the time ...  Roll Eyes

Ah, yes - Tickety Boo. I recently got Ralph's amazing version from the Guitarist magazine (2000),
which fortunately came with a tablature, so that is definitely one that I shall be aiming for ...  in
5 years or so  ...

Have you managed to figure out those very fast base licks in Hands of Joseph(Travelling Man version) yet btw ?
Any advice on those ?
( not the long descending one(s), which btw. took me close to forever to get right - not to mention the
humming contra it at the same time *LOL* ).

Yes, it's amazing what people will put up on YT. Many are not very good, no, but every now and then
you see some huge talents that make it all worthwhile. I guess most just do it for the kick - or to test
their courage - some maybe for the odd "constructive" criticism, praise or good advice amongst all the
nasty thrashing by small minded people.

One fantastic example from the second category is the amazing "Troubleclef", who plays an awesome version
of "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis on a solo classical guitar - as well as many other great Genesis tunes and
fantastic tunes by other people. I have been dreaming about hearing and seeing a real virtuoso play this
long and complex "instrumental suite", ever since I figured out a tiny part of it by ear - it just seems so well suited for a classic guitar, and might as well have been written for this instrument in mind in the first place.
But I had come to suspect that it simply couldn't be done, and then suddenly this fellow pops up out of the blue.

Do also check out his fantastic version of "Mad Man Moon" by Genesis.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hGiFV6Ac2vc
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vg7FiL-7HXs

Looking forward to hearing that Ayako tune by you as well. I will see if I can muster (master ?) the courage
to record a couple of our prettiest folk tunes, that I think I have fairly descent versions of by now.
I think you will really love them. Would be very interesting to see what you will be able to make out
of them, if you do. I bet that one of them would be a safe "hit" over there, if someone gave it some
nice English lyrics  Cool

I shall be away for a week on holiday (Crete) - leaving very early tomorrow  Shocked -,
so I may be a bit slow to reply for natural causes.

Henrik

Al

Take it easy

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »

"Have you managed to figure out those very fast base licks in Hands of Joseph(Travelling Man version) yet btw ?
Any advice on those ?
"

Hmmm, I had been playing "Great Dreams From Heaven" for quite a few years before I ever heard Ralph do it and having listened intently to Spence's playing I'd already incorporated a section of bass runs into it, its a very conspicuous feature of Spence's playing. Can;t recall what Ralph's version on Travelling Man sounds like in particualr so I would have to listen again but I would guess they're pretty similar. You just kind of .. well it would be easier to show than describe and I doubt I could tab it !

There's a dvd featuring Spence's playing available from Stefan Grossman's workshop website, which I've not seen but judging by the quality of the series as a whole I am sure it will be pretty fab, might be worth investigating if you felt so inclined  Smiley
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2007, 11:38:54 PM »

I suppose you've all seen The Trial of Ralph McTell?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeAsOpavzE

Grin Grin Grin
Waterloo Wonderer
Mersey Musafir
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Formby

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2007, 10:40:35 AM »

I suppose you've all seen The Trial of Ralph McTell?
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EIeAsOpavzE
Grin Grin Grin

Yes, and Sir Bob

You of all people should know about double jeopardy.

HA! That's so funny I forgot to laugh... excluding that first Ha.

Stewie Griffin.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2007, 11:41:04 AM »

That was excellent!!

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:06 PM »

It's from French & Saunders Series 3, BBC TV, 1993.  Look out for Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar on eBay - it's priceless!  Shocked Roll Eyes

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Naomi

« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2007, 10:04:25 AM »

Hi all, back from a ( rare ) sunny week camping - hooray  Smiley

John was more or less representing me correctly, without diminishing Ralph in anyway whatsoever, he is not what I would call a technical wizard ( eg Jaques Stozem ) or particularly inventive ( eg Bert Jansch )but he oozes taste and style and a love for his music and he is a surperb guitarist without any doubt.

I could listen to him play "I Bid You Goodnight" into eternity quite happily, and of course its one thing to follow Ralph's playing and learn how to play his songs but of course, the real trick, is to have the wit to come up with them in the first place. Somethign that is not overly guitaristic ( is there such a word ?? ) like "Summer Girls" for example, is nevertheless just perfect and yet simple, so simple you would think it an easy matter to come with something just as simple and fabulous but it never happens, and that to me, along with the words and the voice, is the sum of the magic and the fascination.

Ralphy is just not in your face, its an altogether more mysterious magic that he weaves around us all  Smiley

Thanks for this Al - and to the rest of you for your thoughts on this. Sorry I've been a while in replying - we've been away for two weeks in 'sunny' Scotland. Smiley

I realise that no-one here is putting Ralph's playing down in any way - particularly your last couple of sentences, Al - there is certainly something very special about the combination of Ralph's songs, playing  and voice that mesmerises us all  Wink

Naomi
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »

It's from French & Saunders Series 3, BBC TV, 1993.  Look out for Ralph McTell's 100 Easy Tunes for Guitar on eBay - it's priceless!  Shocked Roll Eyes

Not to mention the actual copy signed by the "players" in that sketch  Roll Eyes

H.

Naomi

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »

The background music on   this clip is good - the performer/writer isn't credited, but sounds somewhat familiar!  Wink

Don't think you can get the tea any longer though  Sad

Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »

T****s used to sell it but I tried recently to find it to no avail  Sad

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Henrik
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2007, 04:40:37 PM »

The background music on   this clip is good - the performer/writer isn't credited, but sounds somewhat familiar!  Wink

Don't think you can get the tea any longer though  Sad

Naomi

Cool, Naomi - or should I say "hot" maybe ?  Roll Eyes
Thanks a lot - love it.

And now for the "ned-lading"  Cool

H.

Henrik
Folkcorp Guru