TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:59:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USA 2007  (Read 54721 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2007, 11:35:54 AM »

Way off topic, but yes, according to standard IQ tests, Muhammed Ali is sub-100.

ANyhoo, I wonder if there will be any recordings from the sound desk made available by the band? I've never heard this version, and would be interested.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2007, 12:05:56 PM »

Have the trio ever done UK gigs or is an overseas touring set up only?

What would folks in the US feel if the trio toured with a couple of session men filling drums and bass as a full electric line up - would you rather see a slimmed down FC of "proper" members or would the core of trhe band with a couple of ringers be more acceptable?

Jackdaw
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2007, 01:41:19 PM »

Yes, in May, the trio did a number of gigs in the UK before traipsing off to the US. See this page.

What would folks in the US feel if the trio toured with a couple of session men filling drums and bass as a full electric line up - would you rather see a slimmed down FC of "proper" members or would the core of the band with a couple of ringers be more acceptable?

Jackdaw
I would be up for it. I mean: if it was good enough for the Beatles ...
However, I'm not sure the economics would be good for the band. Touring as an acoustic unit is so much less expensive than touring with all the equipment required for a full-electric lineup. Given the roadblocks being erected by US Customs and Immigration, I was certainly happy to see them able to tour at all.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2007, 05:07:43 PM »

Yes, in May, the trio did a number of gigs in the UK before traipsing off to the US. See this page.

No, that was the 4 piece with Geryy on drums and percussion. The 3 piece I don't think have toured here

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2007, 05:20:15 PM »

No, that was the 4 piece with Geryy on drums and percussion. The 3 piece I don't think have toured here
Are you sure? The page says: "40th Anniversary Tour - all dates Fairport Acoustic trio (no drums) "
I remember seeing a youtube clip with Gerry on percussion, but thought that might have been a one-off gig.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »

Are you sure? The page says: "40th Anniversary Tour - all dates Fairport Acoustic trio (no drums) "
I remember seeing a youtube clip with Gerry on percussion, but thought that might have been a one-off gig.
Oops - my mistake - that heading was referring to the US tour. Grabbing coat ...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2007, 09:37:44 AM »

The 3-piece did do some dates at the start of the acoustic outfit when Gerry was otherwise unavailable.

Tom Wass
ANONYMOUS MEMBER
n3wb

Loc: Seattle, WA

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2007, 09:54:52 PM »

I saw the them in Ann Arbor, Michigan last month. It was a very good show with a similar set list as those shown above. Before the concert I ran into Chris Leslie on the street. We had a nice chat and I told him I was in from Seattle, Washington to see the show.
Well to my surprise, that night on stage, Chris  announced; "we would like to dedicate this next song to Tom who flew in all the way from Seattle". They then jumped into romping version of "Keep On Turning The Wheel".  

Needless to say, I was (in the words of the Rutles) shocked and stunned. Grin
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »

A quick check on the Fc site and it seems poor Chris hadn't been too well on the US tour and at one gig Fairport Convenstion consisted of just Simon and Ric.

Described by the site as an "unexpected rarity" it seems that the envelope of what is Fairport may have been pushed open a bit too far now.

What next, Simon on a solo tour as Fairport Convention !!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2007, 09:29:51 AM »

Just arrived home from my first FC gig - totally satisfied.
It was an historic performance: Chris was indisposed with a chest infection, so Simon and Rick performed as a duo.

THose in the know read their threads.

Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2007, 11:44:59 AM »

A quick check on the Fc site and it seems poor Chris hadn't been too well on the US tour and at one gig Fairport Convenstion consisted of just Simon and Ric.

Described by the site as an "unexpected rarity" it seems that the envelope of what is Fairport may have been pushed open a bit too far now.

Shocked Really!?! I'm shocked! A duo, you say?? Wow, that must have been something to see...!
 Wink Grin

Oops - I should have read the rest of the thread before replying - Chris beat me to it
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2007, 11:46:19 AM »

Shocked Really!?! I'm shocked! A duo, you say?? Wow, that must have been something to see...!
 Wink Grin

Nah, without drums and a bass it was probably rubbish  Wink Glad I didn't know about it.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2007, 12:28:54 PM »

mind you, a Ric & Simon duo set with drum'n'bass backing might be (ahem) interesting...

whatever next - a dubstep/morris mashup in da full house?  Wink

(Ric used to listen to the Prodigy when on tour a few years ago...)

Flobbadob!
Linkster
Defending World Champion

Loc: Providence, Rhode Island, USA

I'm a llama!

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2007, 03:32:27 PM »

I was at the Fall River duo gig.  Chris' absence due to illness was posted on the door of the venue.  Needless to say, the audience was very enthusiastic for what I thought was a very heartfelt performance by Ric and Simon.  Although I missed Chris' contributions (I had seen the 3-piece a week earlier), it was delightful to hear stripped down arrangements; imagine Canny Capers performed as a duo!  For those of us in the US, the economics of the exchange rate mean that it may be a long time before the full band performs in which case it is a privilege for us to see FC and FC material performed in whatever configuration that FC corporate deems viable.
Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

I was at the Fall River duo gig.  
Sorry I missed you. I posted a review and pics a couple pages ago. Did you see them?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: