TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:31:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Gottle O'Geer'  (Read 28375 times)
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« on: April 10, 2007, 08:21:56 PM »

Missed this first time around - at the time didn't rate Swarb's singing. (Fool that I was!!!!!) Got it from the recent remaster reissues...

...and think much of the criticism is unfair.

It is what it is. A transitional album by a 3-man FC questing for a new direction after the glorious failure of the 9+Sandy+Glyn Johns line-up to become the next big AOR act.

Built like 'ROSIE' from an abortive Swarb solo, it suffers in that a new band doesn't gel around the material as it had 4 years previous. As a result it's less cohesive than 'ROSIE' (which wasn't incredibly cohesive anyway!) but arguably much more experimental.

In a kind of nothing-to-lose way the lads are trying quite a few new angles but are clearly lacking any major new sense of inspiration.

The result is bitty but always interesting but without ever knocking your socks off.

I far prefer 'GOTTLE' to 'TIPPLERS TALES', by which time the band had retreated into uninspired sub-'ANGEL DELIGHT' reworkings of trad;arr.

I won't be playing 'GOTTLE' every week but I think it'll be one of those things I rediscover with a little frisson of pleasure every now and then.

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:38:42 PM »

It's not awful, but it's not very good in a very tired way. It feels like a contractual obligation album in the same way that "Up" by REM feels. One way I judge a Fairport album (or any folk-genre album) is whether I would be embarrassed to play it at a dinner party, and I would for GoG, but would also be embarrassed to play Wood and the Wire and...Sense of Occasion! There are far too many comparisons between SoO and GoG for my liking - almost like Fairport are scrabbling round for something to prove they still exist. Sad, but truly honest.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:36:29 AM »

It's not awful, but it's not very good in a very tired way. It feels like a contractual obligation album in the same way that "Up" by REM feels. One way I judge a Fairport album (or any folk-genre album) is whether I would be embarrassed to play it at a dinner party, and I would for GoG, but would also be embarrassed to play Wood and the Wire and...Sense of Occasion! There are far too many comparisons between SoO and GoG for my liking - almost like Fairport are scrabbling round for something to prove they still exist. Sad, but truly honest.

Agreed - except that Up at least tried to be experimental. If they had actually finished any of the songs it may have made a decent album!

I don't hate 'Gottle', but it is a thorn between two roses IMO.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:37:45 AM »

Well said.  My thoughts exactly...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »

I do have a question about that album, I was listening to it yesterday and wondered what Swarbrick's opinion is about it, I know he didn't like it when Island put Fairport on the cover instead of his name but does anyone know if he likes it or not?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »

It's not awful, but it's not very good in a very tired way. It feels like a contractual obligation album in the same way that "Up" by REM feels.

Up wasn't a contractual obligation, it was just their first record as a 3-piece.  And it's actually aged quite well.  Gottle O' Geer, on the other hand, still sounds bereft of inspiration, except for Limey's Lament.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »

Well said.  My thoughts exactly...

And mine...............I have repeatedly tried to listen to / like, and fail miserably every time. It is simply mundane and lacking in sparkle

Whereas Tipplers is a joy to revisit.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Ronald

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

Yes, I tried again yesterday, it is an album you want to like (just like Trout Mask Replica) but if fails to please.

I wonder if Swarbrick also sees this as a failure.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »

Has anyone seen this? The Gottle line-up's entire 1976 Rockpalast performance? They do most of the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeemh8CLMiU
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

Yes, when they were first mentioned in the Fairport YouTube thread I watched them. Interesting bit of Fairport archaeology, my favorite is still the sight of Bob Brady dragging bemused Germans out to dance and a very nervous Dan Ar Braz.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

I can feel Carey aiming thunderbolts: it was one of his favourites.

It's a strange album, certainly.  I believe that Swarb's comment was something along the lines of "It didn't work."

Wikipedia has: "Gottle O'Geer, I would like to say once and for all was not ever supposed to be a Fairport album. It was to be my solo album, and I wish, along with most other people, that it had remained that way. Chris Blackwell, who to my mind is the richest, clueless, most unscrupulous pillock it was ever my misfortune to meet, had other ideas."

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

I believe that Swarb's comment was something along the lines of "It didn't work."

Wikipedia has: "Gottle O'Geer, I would like to say once and for all was not ever supposed to be a Fairport album. It was to be my solo album, and I wish, along with most other people, that it had remained that way. Chris Blackwell, who to my mind is the richest, clueless, most unscrupulous pillock it was ever my misfortune to meet, had other ideas."

That Swarb.  He always holds back, doesn't he?   Wink

Jules

Ronald

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »

It's a strange album, certainly.  I believe that Swarb's comment was something along the lines of "It didn't work."

This probably after it became clear it was not well received, but maybe he does like it.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »

Strange album, which I haven't listened to in ages.  Until I read this thread, it hadn't occurred to me that GoG is "experimental."  That helps me put the record in context.
Viv G

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 07:26:30 PM »

Is it available on cd? I liked this album[husband hated it] but no longer have anything to play vinyl on.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »

Is it available on cd? I liked this album[husband hated it] but no longer have anything to play vinyl on.

Yes, yes it is

The Dude abides
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

It even has a bonus track,if you get the most recent release..or you can download it from Amazon if not.

Well I never did..
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »

Just looked up the bonus track - Angles Brown. I hadn't heard of that before. Is it any good?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:21 PM »

Just looked up the bonus track - Angles Brown. I hadn't heard of that before. Is it any good?

It's a different (inferior) version of Limey's Lament, if memory serves (I've played it once!).

Jules

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 07:40:07 AM »

I may be shouted down here, but I think there are plenty of decent songs on ‘Sense of Occasion’ – Hawkwood’s Army, South Dakota, Edge of the World, Farmboy’s Wages, The Vision, Spring Song, Galileo’s Apology, Bowman’s Return, to name a few. Agreed, there are some duds (I’m not too keen on ‘In Our Town’ and ‘Untouchable’) but I still think the good tracks outnumber the poor ones.

As far as ‘The Wood and the Wire’ is concerned, there are only two songs I’m not happy with – ‘Banbury Fair’ and ‘The Lady Vanishes’. I also think ‘Tipplers Tales’ is great fun.  

On the other hand, ‘Gottle O Geer’ really should have stayed hidden, as in my ever so humble opinion it’s truly awful.  

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: