TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:16:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Gottle O'Geer'  (Read 28376 times)
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »

Gollocks, in other words.................. Wink

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 01:19:58 PM »

'Gottle' was one of my early Fairport albums (mainly because after I'd bought the 1969 trio and Babbacombe Lee, it was the cheapest available)... Overall, I actually like it quite a lot. I think Limey's Lament is a blast and think When First Unto This Country is a really fun trad. piece. Our Band is goofy and doesn't feel Fairport-y, but is amusing and Lay Me Down Easy is alright. Not their best, but I do probably spin it more than anything post-Tippler's, save maybe Gladys' Leap.
Viv G

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »

Is it available on cd? I liked this album[husband hated it] but no longer have anything to play vinyl on.

Yes, yes it is

Smiley:-) Thank you, that goes on me wish list then  Grin
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2013, 05:20:50 PM »

Is it available on cd? I liked this album[husband hated it] but no longer have anything to play vinyl on.

Yes, yes it is

Smiley:-) Thank you, that goes on me wish list then  Grin

I wonder how long it'll take before it goes on your "wish I hadn't bothered" list.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »

It's not awful,but it's not great.
When I recently bought the CD and listened it for the first time in yonks,(my vinyl copy got just the one spin),I listened to it not as a Fairport album,or even a Swarb album,but just an album with some familiar musos on it,and it was a more enjoyable experience because I wasn't comparing it to anything else.It must have been OK because I played it again the next day,and I wasn't thinking 'I'll not have to play that again' afterwards.

Well I never did..
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »

I can't for the life of me remember what I thought about it when it came out, only that When first into this country and The frog up the pump were the only tracks I really liked, the rest was too mellow. Still remained a loyal Fairport fan and just waited for the next and probably better one.
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

The FC discography is full of "one-offs" due to all the line-up changes, but this is the most one-off ! Personally I have to agree that it's probably their worst. If only they could have utilised the full possibilities of twin fiddles & Dan Ar Bras, it could have been a superb album. I don't understand Swarb's claim that it was supposed to be a solo album - why then, is it largely songs rather than instrumentals ? His comments are remarkably similar to Ian Anderson's when "A" was converted from a solo LP to a Tull LP !
My vinyl copy has a photo of the full band whereas other copies have a photo of Swarb alone - it would be interesting to know which came first !
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 11:41:21 AM »

I don't understand Swarb's claim that it was supposed to be a solo album - why then, is it largely songs rather than instrumentals?

What difference would that make?  Is Swarb only allowed to do instrumentals on a solo record?   Huh

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »

I don't understand Swarb's claim that it was supposed to be a solo album - why then, is it largely songs rather than instrumentals?

What difference would that make?  Is Swarb only allowed to do instrumentals on a solo record?   Huh

Jules

It is probably a reflection of the fact that Swarb's solo albums tend to be made up of instrumentals with just one or two songs (if any)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Thor-Rune

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 04:37:25 PM »

My vinyl copy has a photo of the full band whereas other copies have a photo of Swarb alone - it would be interesting to know which came first !

From what I've seen through the years: The UK/European copies have the band photo. US copies just Swarb...
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »

I may be shouted down here, but I think there are plenty of decent songs on ‘Sense of Occasion’... Agreed, there are some duds (I’m not too keen on ‘In Our Town’ and ‘Untouchable’) but I still think the good tracks outnumber the poor ones.

On the other hand, ‘Gottle O Geer’ really should have stayed hidden, as in my ever so humble opinion it’s truly awful.  

Musical merits aside, though, at least Gottle had a nice cover. I can't bear to look at the cover of Sense of Occasion...  Shocked

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »

I can defend it for Frog Up The Pump and Cropredy Capers. When thought of as an experimental work the latter track makes more sense. Is it possible to blend folk & funk? I have always had a soft spot for it but those two tracks aside it is not an album I listen to and is probably alone in that respect amongst the run of albums from 68 - 79.

There are several I rarely listen to from 99 - 07.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2013, 04:02:27 PM »

It will always be viewed as a Fairport oddity, but not as a Fairport Convention oddity  Wink

Simon's notes about his view of things from the producers chair probably speak the truth about it. Seemed like it may have actually been fun to record things like Don't Be Late, and Limey's Lament, and in that regard I quite like about half of it, though seldom play it in part. Thinking of adding the 'Convention' to it in Itunes so it slots in with all the other Fairport albums so I remember to play it more!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »

I can defend it for Frog Up The Pump and Cropredy Capers. When thought of as an experimental work the latter track makes more sense. Is it possible to blend folk & funk? I have always had a soft spot for it but those two tracks aside it is not an album I listen to and is probably alone in that respect amongst the run of albums from 68 - 79.

There are several I rarely listen to from 99 - 07.

Folk-funk? I should think so... I have a copy of the Reel & Soul Association album, and that makes a fine job (IMO) of blending soul with "folk" instruments & arrangements.   Smiley

Flobbadob!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

It holds a special place in my heart as a few years ago I purchased Swarbs own copy of the album which I have framed in the hall. Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »

It holds a special place in my heart as a few years ago I purchased Swarbs own copy of the album which I have framed in the hall. Grin

I guess this answers my question what Swarbrick thinks about it.  Smiley
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

I guess this answers my question what Swarbrick thinks about it.  Smiley

He sold all his albums. Smiley

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: