TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Encore Encore  (Read 3632 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: February 02, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »

One of the most recent Fairport CDs I bought was Encore Encore - I think it's the US version (there seems to be lots of different pressings of this title with lots of alternate cover art...especially when you factor in its earlier reincarnation as Farewell Farewell).

Anyway, I digress.

I really really enjoy listening to it.  I've looked around on the web and in books and the album doesn't get much praise, yet for me I think it's more satisfying than the other live albums from the Swarbrick years.

House Full is essential, yet there's too many instrumentals and not enough songs for my tastes.  But sure, I pull it out often, especially for Banks Of The Sweet Primroses and Staines Morris.

Fairport Live, Before The Moon and Who Knows are all fine documents of Sandy's second stint in the band, but I was never fully convinced by this chapter of the band's life.  It does sound too much like Sandy with a backing band at times, and I find myself wanting to hear more Swarb, or more Big Trev.  (I don't have Many Ears To Please yet.)

The Airing Cupboard Tapes is great to have, but it's pick and mix construction means it doesn't hang together very well as a listening experience.

Moat On The Ledge is fun, yet the tracks chosen for this album seem somewhat random and ill-considered.  A longer, more complete version of the Broughton Castle show would surely be most welcome.

I do love The Boot, but listening to a whole gig is a different experience to listening to an album's worth of tunes.  I don't have AT2 yet, or the later Cropredy shows.

For me Encore Encore is well balanced, has a clear punchy sound, a fine set of songs and tunes and is great fun to listen to.  Unlike some of the other live documents I find myself returning to it many times.

Terrific versions of John Lee, Sir Patrick Spens, Journeyman's Grace and a nicely different arrangement of tunes at the tailend of Matty Groves.  And a hilarious version of Bridge Over The River ____.  And I know most of the instrumentals are all crammed in as bonus tracks at the end, but you can always reprogramme your CD player and edit them back into the playing sequence.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I think it's an underrated album!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: