TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:33:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 159374 times)
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »

I too have felt recently the sound is too folky, and not enough electric, but that is only a personal opinion. I did really enjoy the Maart era, with the heavier electric guitar sound. I also like the earlier Richard era guitar sound.

I don't think they sound too folky, but then I like trad folk.......and I liked the Maart/rock version of the band too; Fairport's current incarnation does little for me I'm afraid -  its too MOR and sounds more like Val Doonican's particular 1970s version of Folk than anything else. Its all too.......(struggling for the right word).................nice.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2007, 11:11:58 AM »

I too have felt recently the sound is too folky, and not enough electric, but that is only a personal opinion. I did really enjoy the Maart era, with the heavier electric guitar sound. I also like the earlier Richard era guitar sound.

I don't think they sound too folky, but then I like trad folk.......and I liked the Maart/rock version of the band too; Fairport's current incarnation does little for me I'm afraid -  its too MOR and sounds more like Val Doonican's particular 1970s version of Folk than anything else. Its all too.......(struggling for the right word).................nice.

Ah yes, Val Doonican: the true founder of folk rock. Lifetime achievement award at the next BBC Folk Awards I reckon.

It's a little known fact that Joe Boyd produced the sought-after demo of Paddy McGinty's Goat, and Richard Thompson played the legendary, much-imitated guitar solo in Rafferty's Motor Car. And that bass line on Walk Tall. . .if that's not Ashley Hutchings I'll eat my hat. And of course Shane McGowan has been described as "Val Doonican without the rocking chair. . .or the teeth".
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2007, 12:16:10 PM »

Val Doonican did a very respectable "Stone Fox Chase"!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #343 on: March 21, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »

Chris doesn't play electric guitar, it is a stratocaster type body, with a bouzouki neck fitted.

Paul

I'm glad someone agrees with me!  Smiley As Mark says it's all very "nice" at the moment, which is OK for a while, but then I have to go and play some Motorhead or Metallica to counterbalance it  Wink

BTW I was brought up on Lav Nacinood and The Spinners. Val was also a superb harmonica player.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #344 on: March 21, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »

Chris doesn't play electric guitar, it is a stratocaster type body, with a bouzouki neck fitted.

Paul

I'm pretty sure Chris played a simple red strat on his first tour - then had the batocaster made afterwards.

Jackdaw
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2007, 01:33:44 PM »

Naci Noodlav in our house!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

What .. he's in your house right now??

Get the rocking chair ready!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2007, 03:17:15 PM »

Val Doonican did a very respectable "Stone Fox Chase"!

That was the problem - it was respectable.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »

Doesn't Chris play electric guitar on WKWTTG on Spanish Main??? That's what it says on Expletive Delighted anyway

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2007, 04:37:16 PM »

Doesn't Chris play electric guitar on WKWTTG on Spanish Main??? That's what it says on Expletive Delighted anyway

I always thought he played the bouzoki/strat (batocaster) on that track - happy to be proved wrong though.

J
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #350 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:50 PM »

I always thought he played the bouzoki/strat (batocaster) on that track - happy to be proved wrong though.

J

Well on Expletive Delighted it says this...

Chris Leslie    Vocals, Violin, Mandolin, Electric Guitar, Bazouki-Stratocaster

for WKWTTG

and on Beyond the Ledge (Cropredy 98 vid) it says

Chris Leslie    Violin (Tracks 1, 6, 12-14, 16), Mandolin (Tracks 2, 3, 5, 9, 18), Bouzouki (Tracks 4, 7, 8, 10, 17), Electric Guitar (Track 15), Vocals (Tracks 2, 7, 16), Backing Vocals (Tracks 8, 10, 14, 18)

Track 15 being Spanish Main

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
mikeatlargue

Loc: Aberdeenshire

« Reply #351 on: April 01, 2007, 07:56:49 PM »

Not sure if this counts as the Wintour, but went last night to The Rant at Duff House gig at Banff. This was their most northerly gig so far this year and it was good to see them in my patch, as I normally have to travel a long way to see them.The support was a young Scots band, Breabach, (pronounce it how you wish!)a young foursome comprising scottish pipes, whistles, fiddle and guitar who gave us an excellent set of about half an hour of jigs, reels, strathspeys and one song - "The rolling hills of the border." Simon commented how good they were and I wouldn't be surprised if they were invited to a future Cropredy.
In front of a sold-out and enthusiastic audience of just short of 600, FC gave as good a performance as I have seen. The gig was in a marquee in the grounds of Duff House and the sound was surprisingly good in such a setting. I was at the opening gig of the tour at Tewkesbury and it was good but suffered a bit from being the first night. However, last night was a buzz from start to finish. The set was virtually the same - sorry, I didn't keep a set list - but the second half started with the Brilliancy medley and did include Untouchable, both of which they didn't feature at Tewkesbury.
The lads were on top form and seemed to be enjoying themselves in front of an appreciative audience. Roll on Cropredy!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »

Thanks for your review Mike, sounds as though it was a great night.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2007, 10:39:04 PM »

Peggy enjoyed himself on that tour.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: