TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:55:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 159341 times)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #320 on: March 20, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »

Spotted this in yesterday's Sunday Telegraph "Seven" supplement.

"Fairport Convention at the ICA are two groups in one. There is an acclaimed, honoured group called Fairport Convention who in the late 1960s helped to invent folk rock and are now celebrating their 40th anniversary. There's little sign of their existence.

There is also a group called Fairport Convention containing only one of the original members, who are some kind of home-baked tribute to the idea of a Fairport Convention that helped invent folk rock and released legendary albums.

Mostly they tend to muck around like a bunch of assiduous, cheerful blokes who act as if they are in some kind of comedy group. This Fairport Convention are not as such honouring the original pioneering Fairport, give or take the occasional sentimental rendition of an early classic, as creating a kind of dog-eared caricature. The original innovative Fairport is overwhelmed by this deteriorating, corny Fairport, who gamely keep the name alive and have a lot of fun but who should now perhaps be called Fairport Nonvention."

Harsh words. Angry  Okay, of course things have changed - it has been 40 years for a start! I know plenty of us have views about the different Fairport eras, and fair enough, but I thought this reviewer (one Paul Morley) was pretty hard on the Chaps. Sad

Well, I saw them in 1970, when they were an "acclaimed, honoured group who helped to invent folk-rock" and I'm happy to report that they never mucked around in those days, but were serious students of the art of re-interpreting traditional music for the second half of the 20th century. And they wore tweed jackets and brogues, and smoked pipes on stage. And my nephew is a primate.

I reckon Mr Morley would be even quicker to criticise if they looked and sound as they did in the late 1960s. ie had they not changed. I'd even say that if they'd failed to change, no-one would be going to see them at all, let alone tens of thousands.
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2007, 01:36:21 PM »

I didn't notice Paul Morley in the crowd.

But I have to agree to a certain extent that the music now is far lighter than the Fairport of even 10 years ago, and could be seen as larking about by a real stalwart of serious music (as I know Paul Morley to be). They had a lot of fun, but it didn't really rub off on the audience - so is it an "old boys club" now?

Well, the music is certainly not cutting edge, and I'm struggling to enjoy SOO - whereas the roots that have been set down by earlier, more earthy songs seem to give more scope for improvisation and character (cf. Matty Groves). I can't see a heavy improv taking place with Edge Of The World, or Keep On Turning The Wheel  Tongue

Did they not 'lark about' in the old days, then?  I wasn't there of course, but that video clip on Youtube - you know, the one with the helicopters - was very funny.  I've read plenty of stuff which indicates that Fairport certainly did their fair share of 'larking about' - on and off stage! Don't get me wrong, I love the early stuff.  It reminds me of my long lost youth.  I also love what they do now.

I just thought Paul Morley was a bit mean and to resort to name calling detracted from a supposedly serious article.

At the end of the day, they are five guys trying to make a living (which I reckon is quite modest) by doing something they're good at and which they enjoy doing.  Not much different to most of us, I suspect.  I'm not cutting edge at what I do but I do a good job for the most part and there are plenty of people who appreciate it.  If I read an article like that about me, I would be hurt.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2007, 01:38:20 PM »

I think the article was meant to be hurtful...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2007, 01:39:27 PM »

Oops!  Sorry PLW.  I seem to have repeated some of what you said.  (Maybe I should take notice of the red warning in future Roll Eyes)
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #324 on: March 20, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »

I wouldn't bother worrying about Paul Morley's opinions. The guy (like so many of his contemporaries at the NME in the late '70s) mistakes his role in the world of music. He seems to imagine that commentating on the aftermath of the punk generation makes him a creative force of some merit.

In reality he is a pretentious p***k, as anyone who has read any of his inane scribblings in the last 20 years will testify to.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 02:05:15 PM by Mark » Logged

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #325 on: March 20, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »

Exactly - which is why Christie Moore's Scallcrows springs to mind.
cat

« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »

for what its worth I love the mandolin and bazouki sound - too many heavy guitars and you have a band sounding like all the other run of the mill bands around - keep fairport unique I say  
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #327 on: March 20, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »

Huh
That went sailing over my head. Google is of no help. Could you please explain?
Jan_
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2007, 02:35:26 PM »

Huh
That went sailing over my head. Google is of no help. Could you please explain?

Don't worry, Bob.  Lots of things go sailing over my head round here. Grin  

Christie Moore wrote a song about newspaper reporters, castigating them for their hunger to wound innocent people.

... your pointed beaks as sharp as knives, as you tear strips from people's lives...

I think the song is really aimed at reporters who are much worse than Mr Morley, so I may have overreacted a bit, but you get the idea.

PS  My misspelling of Christy may have hindered your google search. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 03:00:27 PM by Katys Mum » Logged
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2007, 05:52:57 PM »

Well I love the mandolin, it gives a distinctive Fairport sound, but I also love that 'duelling fiddles' sound that was more prominent several years back, but best of all I love it when those 'old fellas' let rip and enjoy themselves and rock like they did 40 years ago (and last month!)  Wink
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »

Am I the only one that likes the mandolin in the current FC then??

No...but it's a question of balance.  It's (and certainly on record) a too one-dimensional 'light' sound at present...I've always thought of Fairport as having all sorts of textures to them and a lot of those textures have been missing for a while....although the latest tour appears to have been a good step in the right direction on the live front.  I'd love to see them mix it up in the studio and get out of the safety zone they currently operate in there...

Why doesn't Chris get his electric guitar out more, I'd much rather have two electrics on Tam Lin than mando and one electric (this is coming from a mando player) Smiley

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »

What's all this stuff about the mandolin being recent additions to Fairport? They were there in 1969 on Unhalfbricking (Million Dollar Bash, anyone?). Flatback Caper on Full House - well nigh seven minutes of duelling mandos and not an electric guitar in sight. Angel Delight? All over it. Nowadays you have the luxury of fiddle and mandolin at the same time! And electric guitar. Never satisfied some people  Wink
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2007, 06:30:05 PM »

Chris needs to resurrect the batocaster

J
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »

Who said the mandolin was recent? My problem is it being so dominant in the mix and being the focal instrument of too many songs making Fairport on record sound...well, lovely.

I can only take so much lovely.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2007, 06:45:36 PM »

I can only take so much lovely.

Spot on.  'Lovely' is almost as bad as 'nice'.  Which is horrid   Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2007, 06:55:23 PM »

Don't you come in here using abusive language like that!

Nice!

You ought to be ashamed, David.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »

I don't think you can ever have tooooo much 'lovely'...  as opposed to 'unlovely'!

So there!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »

Ah I love a really good discussion.  Smiley

Just to put the record straight, as it was my comment on the mando that started this, I like mandolin and I think it's right and correct that FC feature it in a few of their repertoire. Recently, however, they, or rather Chris, has used it a little too much and this in my opinion has led to a twee sound on occasion. I prefer a rockier sound. It hasn't stopped me from enjoying the new album but I do feel it would have benefited from a little more electric guitar. Folk-rock rather than electric-folk.

That's all! BTW I love the two-fiddle sound.  Wink

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »

Chris - Electric guitar?  Now, there's a thought...

Would totally blow out of the window my theory about fiddle/mando players not playing guitar and vice versa...

AND would give a whole new scope for arrangements!  Goo-oorn Chris, you know you want to!!  (Don't forget the whistles though - there's still room for a pukka flautist)

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »

Chris doesn't play electric guitar, it is a stratocaster type body, with a bouzouki neck fitted.

I too have felt recently the sound is too folky, and not enough electric, but that is only a personal opinion. I did really enjoy the Maart era, with the heavier electric guitar sound. I also like the earlier Richard era guitar sound.

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: