TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:36:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160532 times)
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »

Does anyone know whether that was a one-off or is it usual to cut it from the set at Birmingham as they have two supports.
Must admit I want to hear MG after reading the reviews about it being a rockier version and will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't make it into the set.

We haven't written the set for Symphony Hall yet, but yes, you're right, it HAS to be abridged to allow time for both TTL and Steve and Phil to fairly represent themselves. But to prove we're reactive as well as proactive, I have noted your comments!

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »

How's that for excellent customer service?   Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2007, 10:25:27 AM »

Does anyone know whether that was a one-off or is it usual to cut it from the set at Birmingham as they have two supports.
Must admit I want to hear MG after reading the reviews about it being a rockier version and will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't make it into the set.

We haven't written the set for Symphony Hall yet, but yes, you're right, it HAS to be abridged to allow time for both TTL and Steve and Phil to fairly represent themselves. But to prove we're reactive as well as proactive, I have noted your comments!

Good stuff, Simon! Just as well you're not radioactive as well. Although you'd probably get glowing reviews as a result! Grin

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2007, 11:14:07 AM »

But to prove we're reactive as well as proactive, I have noted your comments!

Excellent! Do you do requests?!!  Wink

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »

But to prove we're reactive as well as proactive, I have noted your comments!

Excellent! Do you do requests?!!  Wink

I don't suppose they would consider the whole of Babbacombe Lee?

Grin

Paul

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »

Can we have a greatest hits set?  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »

48 different versions of Matty
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2007, 11:38:50 AM »

Ha ha  Grin Grin

leahdon (Donna)
Secret Fez Admirer

Loc: Gloucestershire

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2007, 11:58:57 AM »

Or an extended version (with different people joining the band at various points) of Sloth?

Cheers,

Donna
xx
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »

Good call Leahdon! now that would be fun  Grin Wink

Kevin Watkins
n3wb

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2007, 04:50:31 PM »

Wow!  Never expected one of the Fairporters themselves to reply!  To my first ever post on this forum too!  Thanks Simon.

Can I be really cheeky and ask that whatever does go, you don't drop The Widow of West Moreland (I'm dragging my wife along with me who isn't a Fairport addict like me but she does like that one!) and the new version of Tam Lin (which is just ace!).

Can I also just say many congratulations on your 40th.  I've been listening to Fairport since the day I was born when my Dad was playing Liege and Lief to death. 35 or so years later, I realise that you have in many ways provided the soundtrack to my life.  Whether it's the music I choose to listen to or the songs I bash out on my guitar it's Fairport who have given me more pleasure than any other band.  Thank you so much.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »

I've been listening to Fairport since the day I was born when my Dad was playing Liege and Lief to death.

Now that's what I call balance.

It's a great shame I couldn't get along to the tour this year as Essex was off the agenda - Mrs Keith would have loved this for a birthday present. Still, we are getting our legs in training for Cropredy.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2007, 06:12:33 PM »

It's a great shame I couldn't get along to the tour this year as Essex was off the agenda - Mrs Keith would have loved this for a birthday present. Still, we are getting our legs in training for Cropredy.

What  Shocked are you going to walk there this year Keith? This man REALLY takes saving the planet seriously  Wink

Happy mainly.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »

Now there's an IDEA!

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2007, 09:36:15 AM »

A big thank you to Fairport and crew for making Cambridge 'rock' last night! After spending the day in that beautiful city we enjoyed this concert from beginning to end!

The atmosphere was fun, the evening went so well for them and audience alike.

At least there are 4 young people who know who Fairport Convention are!  Cheesy  (of course I am refering to TTL) Sorry I muddle their names  Roll Eyes but the blonde singer has a strong voice, I thought their harmonies had really come on too! I was pleased to see they have got themselves a fiddle player since I last saw them and she looked confident playing with Ric and singing as backing vocals. The tiny tin lady who wears the hat can sure play that guitar too!  They have a good, confident stage presence, and considering their ages some of the songwriting was good.

Now on to Fairport! - I like the new songs, just not sure about Keep on turning the wheel yet. I was hoping for it to sound different than when I first heard it on MH and was trying to work out my feelings towards this song; maybe it is more 'folky' rather than 'folk/rocky' and after hearing Tam Lin, Sir Patrick Spens, Widow of Westmoreland and another new intro into Matty I definitely came away thinking how Fairport do give us a fair mix of style but how much I prefer the loud rocky stuff better! I think Simon's guitar playing on electric guitar amazing and really love it when there is more of this! On the subject of instruments Chris played a whistle (long and short varieties) LOL Sorry about the lack of technical terms here! but both added a great sound!

Chris remarked that they are halfway through now and I felt considering their 40 glorious years they are unfatiguable!

As usual they were all outside promptly after the show to sign and one guy in front of me had a 'Gladys Leap' blue coloured sweatshirt for signing  Shocked Ric was amazed at this and said that was the year he joined the band and held it high for all to look at! Simon, please pass on thanks for a great night and for being so willing to come out, meet the crowd and sign the merch! Which reminds me, Mr Nicol came rushing through the exiting crowd, pushing his way through to get to the front to hold us back, to prevent us from leaving, saying, "No one is allowed to leave until they have a receipt of a purchase" LOL!  I told him if he ever gives up the day job he should go into market trader instead!  Grin

Ulla if you read this I did speak to Peggy and told him he would see you tonight in Brum! (He shook my hand once he knew I was a talkawhiler!  Wink ) So wish I was going to this one, especially with Show of Hands playing too, what a night, can't wait for reviews!

Last but not least the unaccompanied encore Best Wishes was stunning and joining the band for Meet on the Ledge was Edmund with his trumpet  Grin I do love that sound, what an amazing guy!

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2007, 10:54:03 PM »

A friend in Scotland reports that the Glasgow gig on Saturday has been moved from The Garage to the G2 which presumably is the Garage's smaller sibling... which doesn't sound too positive, does it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09:11 PM »

G2? Used to be The Venue?

Big enough for listening, and for dancing, I'd've thought.

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2007, 11:23:56 PM »

G2? Used to be The Venue?

Big enough for listening, and for dancing, I'd've thought.

Yeah - I mean for the audience that was going anyway it will probably be for the best, but for the band's finances, and a return trip North of the border in the near future, maybe less so...

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2007, 11:36:56 PM »

A friend in Scotland reports that the Glasgow gig on Saturday has been moved from The Garage to the G2 which presumably is the Garage's smaller sibling... which doesn't sound too positive, does it?

The Garage is a night club with a DJ. that opens it's doors around midnight.

When there is a live gig at this venue earlier in the evening, it becomes G 2.

After the gig it reverts to the Garage, the same place 490, Sauchihall Street.
Em
Equal Opportunity Employer

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2007, 12:18:22 AM »

Anyone else going to either of the Scottish dates?

I'll be at both...

Those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: