TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 09:58:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160539 times)
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2007, 12:11:36 AM »

Cor just back from Lincoln. Good strong programme very cleverly put together to blend the new ones into the established and not so long established. And we rocked.

That Best Wishes is a real stop in yer 'eader innit? Came straight home and murdered it on me mando... well you have to try don't you!  Grin Grin

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2007, 02:52:10 PM »

Here are my thoughts on last night's gig....

Tuesday 13th February 2007
Fairport Lincoln Drill Hall

After a mad panic before I found the misplaced tix, we arrived in good time for this much-anticipated 40th anniversary wintour gig.  Would it be as good as every other wintour we’d been to?  Would we enjoy the new songs and tunes? Would there be anyone else there that we knew?  The answers soon came.. in triplicate.. and very much so..  the whole evening was a very memorable one in every way!

We met friends there and chatted and laughed, we met others there who knew us through Farnsfield Acoustic..  I could have sold more tix!  Talking to each of the chaps in the foyer after the gig was a lovely added bonus.. every one of them being on top form, chatty, friendly and obviously thoroughly enjoying the whole process (of gigging.. not talking to me!).  Both Peggy & Ric (separately) will be playing for us later in the year, so we had a few words about these gigs.  Simon’s chat made it very obvious that he is an observant regular on Talkawhile!  With Chris we discussed the Aggies gig at Thoresby and the ‘party’… as well as the fact the he was once a Bad Penny with Jez Lowe.  Gerry seemed pleased when I congratulated him on the new string to his bow…  but you’ll have to get to a gig to see what I mean!

But what of the music?

After the TTLs Fairport opened with Widow of Westmoreland and followed that with Sir Patrick Spens, both very strong, setting the pace for the whole evening.  We had front row seats, which may have meant that we didn’t necessarily hear the music to best advantage.  The rest of the first half was a mixture of older favourites and new songs and tunes from Sense of Occasion.  I didn’t keep a record of the setlist, but It has been posted above in reply 13. In all about eleven of the new tracks were played throughout.  Galileo’s Apology features on both Sense and the new album by Peggy & Peej.. of course we came home with both!  We were treated to a rocking Hawkwood’s Army, a beautiful Your Heart & Mine (one of my faves), a nostalgic Polly on the Shore.. with whistles, and a rousing piratical Edge of the World.  Meet on the Ledge was punctuated with one of the girls taking a verse very well despite the dropping of a triangle behind her. There was a truly magical few minutes though which will stay with me for a long time..  namely the four part harmonies on Steve Ashley’s gorgeous Best Wishes..  that will become a classic.. it is just stunningly beautiful..  The words are about to be printed out and placed on the noticeboard here!

Listening now to Sense of Occasion .. well I love it!  It has really helped to have the background to some of the songs explained last night.. they have become more alive.

Looking forward to the other wintour gigs that we have tix for.. but it will be hard to beat last night’s enjoyment.  Once more THANKS CHAPS..  Kiss Kiss :-*and here’s to the next forty years!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2007, 08:39:37 PM »

Good stuff, dear Amethyst.  Thank you for the full and fulsome review - much appreciated.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Yer very welcome your dear Bobness... shall we be seeing you at any of these fantastic gigs??

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Shameless FolkRocker

Loc: The depths of South Derbyshire

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2007, 09:50:21 PM »

Amethyst, we will see you all at the WW. Glad you all had great night! Looking forward to it - 'the Widow of W' is one of Mrs Sparks favourites, she'll be up and away with that one! Have you forgiven us for nipping to the pub on Sat???  Grin

If it wasn't for the last minute.....nothing would get done!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »

See you there then Shameful... Grin  

Yes you are forgiven.. laydeez turn next!!

Edit: Shameless! not Shameful! There's a world of difference...!

Shameless FolkRocker

Loc: The depths of South Derbyshire

« Reply #106 on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »

Wow!! the ladies and Ric down the pub!! Shocked

If it wasn't for the last minute.....nothing would get done!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #107 on: February 14, 2007, 10:21:16 PM »

THere's more from Peggy on the road and a report of Monday's BBC & FOPP gigs on the website....

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2007, 12:03:08 AM »

Thanks for your excellent review Jenny. Hope to see you at the Birmingham Symphony Hall gig
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »

Wow!! the ladies and Ric down the pub!! Shocked

That'll be nice!

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »

Thanks for your excellent review Jenny. Hope to see you at the Birmingham Symphony Hall gig

Thanks Martin..see you in two days  Grin Grin

Oh and I forgot to say...  Peggy's tee shirt... new batteries..  brilliant!!

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »

After reading this excellent review (thank you very much  Kiss) I can´t wait to see the chaps in Birmingham.
and to see some of the lovely Talkawhilers  Kiss
Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:14 AM »

Thanks Martin..see you in two days  Grin Grin

Oh and I forgot to say...  Peggy's tee shirt... new batteries..  brilliant!!

Aargh - the performing shirt was introduced at Canterbury - but failed to perform. What a let down.

Ticket refunds, or a second show please  Wink

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »

Sounds like Peggy's t-shirt puts Kraftwerk's little LED ties well in the shade!!

Flobbadob!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »

See you there then Shameful... Grin  

Yes you are forgiven.. laydeez turn next!!

Edit: Shameless! not Shameful! There's a world of difference...!

I know that ed.. it was tongue in cheek.. we are friends  Grin

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2007, 01:31:30 PM »

Look out for PJ if you are going along to the Derngate, he has just informed me he'll be at tonights gig. So you lucky people will have the opportunity to get your Galileo's Apology Cd signed by both Peggy AND Pj.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2007, 02:03:25 PM »

new batteries..  brilliant!!

Blimey heck! Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

But swerving swiftly back OT.....really looking forward to the Brum gig now, having read so much positive feedback. Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Kevin Watkins
n3wb

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2007, 09:32:32 PM »

Hello everyone.  I am new here.  I've been reading for a while but have only just decided to take the plunge and join.

We are going to see Fairport in Birmingham on Saturday and I have a question for all you regular brum concert visitors.

I saw one of the winter tours there two or three years ago - when Mundy Turner and The Dylan Project were supporting.  I was absolutely astounded that they didn't play Matty Groves.  Does anyone know whether that was a one-off or is it usual to cut it from the set at Birmingham as they have two supports. Or was it just because half the band had already played with the Dylan boys?

Must admit I want to hear MG after reading the reviews about it being a rockier version and will be a bit disappointed if it doesn't make it into the set.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »

And a very warm welcome to you, Kevin.  I'm glad that you've taken the plunge and joined us.

No Matty, you say?  Shocked Shocked  Surely some mistake.  Undecided

Sir Robert Peel
Global Moderator
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »

He was probably suffering from Kookaburra aftershock.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: