TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:16:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pentangle - The Time Has Come 1967-1973  (Read 125135 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »

why did you have to remove it ? if its in WorD then its a bit late for them to try to stop people reading it

publish and be damned sir

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2007, 09:40:24 AM »

Mine arrived this morning £17.99 from Amazon with free packing.
Excellent value, but doesn't it suggest that a lot of box sets are grossly overpriced? Even so I'm a bit of an anorak for the old box set! I think one of their good points is the fact that each CD tends to last nearly 80 minutes whereas a single CD probably lasts 40 odd.
My favourite, apart from the FC ones of course, is probably Tom Petty's "Playback". We'll check out the Pentangle one this weekend.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »

Mine arrived this morning £17.99 from Amazon with free packing.
Excellent value, but doesn't it suggest that a lot of box sets are grossly overpriced? Even so I'm a bit of an anorak for the old box set! I think one of their good points is the fact that each CD tends to last nearly 80 minutes whereas a single CD probably lasts 40 odd.
My favourite, apart from the FC ones of course, is probably Tom Petty's "Playback". We'll check out the Pentangle one this weekend.

It's not often I reckon things are criminally underpriced, but this is one of them.  It's just TOO cheap, and I can't imagine the band get more than a few pennies from it, but such are my finances that I'm afraid I'll get it for the cheapest I can find it...but then if it cost 34.99 I'd have still found a way of buying it somehow.

I'm afraid the FC ones are far from my favourites (like the other Free Reed box sets they are deeply flawed in production/quality terms - even though they look great)...probably the one I've enjoyed more than any other was the CSN box set which came out back in '91 (inbelievably!).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »

I'm afraid the FC ones are far from my favourites (like the other Free Reed box sets they are deeply flawed in production/quality terms - even though they look great)...probably the one I've enjoyed more than any other was the CSN box set which came out back in '91 (inbelievably!).

I agree with your thoughts on the Free Reed sets.  And I also agree with you about the CSN box set.  It's so well done that even the 80s material on CD4 sounds mostly wonderful and darn near essential.  A superb box set.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2007, 10:48:03 AM »

To me the music matters more than the recording quality, within reason of course. I also like the CSN box, picked up mine for £1 from a library sell off! Also got the Sandy flat box set for £1.50 at the same time (having already owned the vinyl version).

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2007, 10:52:37 AM »

To me the music matters more than the recording quality, within reason of course. I also like the CSN box, picked up mine for £1 from a library sell off! Also got the Sandy flat box set for £1.50 at the same time (having already owned the vinyl version).

Boy, I bet that was a great day for you!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »

Jules

Yes, the day that every record hunter dreams of, but you have to put with a lot of fruitless searches too. Good job or the house would be fuller than it is now!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »

Jules

Yes, the day that every record hunter dreams of, but you have to put with a lot of fruitless searches too. Good job or the house would be fuller than it is now!

No the day that every record buyer dreams of happened to a friend of mine at a record fair in Rainham (I think) the other week.  A private individual selling off his vinyl collection at 1.50 a stab.  My friend spent 60 quid with him...sat down with the 2008 price guide and worked out that the 40 or so albums he had bought had a 'book price' of 1760 quid!  Rare Vertigo's, rare reggae, a numbered White Album...  A nice little contribution for the pension fund for him!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2007, 05:56:20 PM »

Article in today's Grauniad.  Apparently, Pentangle are Britain's Grateful Dead.  Utter nonsense of course, but nice to see them being discussed in newspapers!

http://music.guardian.co.uk/folk/story/0,,2034567,00.html

peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 09:23:33 PM »

Almost exactly the same was said about Fairport by the Guardian when they released the "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" album on their 30th.-(the comparison with the Greatful Dead); real ale not LSD, folk not bluegrass, etc. Anyway, aside from all that, I thought the article on Pentangle was actually quite good.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »

D**n! Just received this from Amazon:
Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Pentangle (Performer) "Time Has Come 1967-1973 [Import]"
  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPF8LC

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this time.  We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you.

We have cancelled this item from your order.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2007, 08:39:01 PM »

Hello from Amazon.com.

We are sorry to report that we will not be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this time.  We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you.

Amazon.co.uk still have it...(although the price has risen from £17.99 to £24.99 since I got mine...)

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2007, 08:45:15 PM »

Hello from Amazon.com.

Amazon.co.uk still have it...(although the price has risen from £17.99 to £24.99 since I got mine...)
That was the $19.99 version ... They still have the more realistically priced version. I'll have to go order that.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2007, 08:54:46 PM »

That was the $19.99 version ... They still have the more realistically priced version. I'll have to go order that.
[/quote]

Ahhhhh - that was the 'we got the price wrong and we're damned if we're going to lose money over our mistake' version! Just goes to prove - if it's too cheap to be true, it's normally not true!

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »

Looks like I got mine just in time!!

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »

Hello from Amazon.com.

Yes, I got that too.....

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »

its still 18 quid(17.99) at play.com

The Dude abides
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2007, 05:51:56 PM »

Does anyone know what TV series Pentangle's Light Flight was the theme tune to?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »

It was a program called "Take Three Girls"

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »

Thanks very much  Grin I needed to know to enter the BBC competion to win a copy of the Pentangle Box set. Haven't heard much of their stuff, but when i went onto YouTube and found it, I really liked it!!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: