TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:18:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pentangle - The Time Has Come 1967-1973  (Read 125112 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »

I still think it's a mistake which will be rectified by the time it comes to release.  They'll be losing about 6-10 quid on every set they sell at that rate...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 08:46:58 AM »

I still think it's a mistake which will be rectified by the time it comes to release.  They'll be losing about 6-10 quid on every set they sell at that rate...

perhaps they're making an extra 6-10 quid on every set here that the US consumers wouldn't stomach?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »

Chris, without wishing to be rude, could you let us know the final price please?

Not a rude request at all - it is definitely a public-interest query. Will do. It is still listed at Amazon USA at $19.99 as a list price.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2007, 12:18:20 PM »

Amazon.com is now showing TWO entries...one priced at $19.99 (release date Mar 13) and the other at the more realistic price of $57.99 (release date Mar 15).  

Will be interesting to see what you get if you order(ed) the lesser priced item...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2007, 03:02:45 PM »

Could be an argument as that pic above was shown against the $19.99 one!

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »

Perhaps you only get the cover?

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Kathryn
A sucker for a hurdy-gurdy

Loc: Lincolnville Beach, Maine, USA

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »

When a family member recently asked what I'd like for my upcoming birthday I requested the upcoming 4 disc set by Pentangle but suggested she share the cost with someone as I thought the $58 too much for her to spend (not that I'm not worth every penny and more....)She told me yesterday she had ordered from Amazon--4discs $19.99!! We'll see what arrives next month but she is confident she ordered correctly.
Since most of my Pentangle collection is on vinyl and my old turntable has finally given up the ghost I'm really looking forward to it.
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 11:06:35 PM »

That sound like a bargain, Kathryn - but, more to the point, what a magnificent present for you.

Happy listening.  Kiss

Sir Robert Peel
Hester
shovelling the walk

"too ill to post"

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 12:27:07 AM »

CDN$ 62.99 and won't be released until March 14th.

Hmmm... maybe I'll put it on my birthday wish list.  All I have is Early Classics.

Cheers, Hester

"And I'll not say a word,
We do the best we can..."
    ~ James Yorkston, "Summer Song"
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »

When a family member recently asked what I'd like for my upcoming birthday I requested the upcoming 4 disc set by Pentangle but suggested she share the cost with someone as I thought the $58 too much for her to spend (not that I'm not worth every penny and more....)She told me yesterday she had ordered from Amazon--4discs $19.99!! We'll see what arrives next month but she is confident she ordered correctly.

THat's the same as I ordered from Amazon US.....it had better be what they advertise!

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 11:24:46 AM »

THat's the same as I ordered from Amazon US.....it had better be what they advertise!
Yes, I ordered it as well. Hopefully it's not a bait and switch ...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 11:36:10 AM »

This pricing business with Amazon is really bizarre - Amazon.com currently has 3 listings - $39.49 and two at $57.99, whilst Amazon.co.uk currently shows it at £17.99 (and that is what I have ordered, ever grateful that they have already cancelled my earlier order at 27.99).  There seems to be a serious balls-up somewhere or other!  The sad thing is that with the new Fairport box coming out, and this one being delayed they (whoever they are?) are conspiring once again to lose Pentangle whatever publicity they might have been expecting to gain from the BBC bash...  

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »

Pentangle get the Mojo treatment in the April issue of the magazine...about 5 pages...nice pics, so-so piece..  

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »

This might explain all the delays.....
http://www.colin-harper.com/

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2007, 07:34:40 PM »

Sorry - I must be having a dense day/week/lifetime today...is there anything particular in there that explains the most recent delays, Jude?

Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2007, 07:40:18 PM »

Sorry - I must be having a dense day/week/lifetime today...is there anything particular in there that explains the most recent delays, Jude?
Could this be it? From the News link:
Pete Paphides, a very fine writer with whom I’ve no axe to grind, was roped in late in the day to write a couple of thousand words of enthusiastic puffery by way of introduction to my apparently ‘downbeat’ 45,000 word history of the group… which has, itself, apparently now been edited in half. I wasn’t offered a chance to see the finished remnant before printing/manufacturing and I must admit to feeling very numb about that. A situation I will never allow to happen again. As much as I love the Pentangle’s music it has, I’m afraid, been the shabbiest project I’ve ever been involved in and I’m not sure I’ll ever read the version of the essay that has my name on it. But the band seem to have reunited for a last hurrah largely on the back of it and the press coverage, already, has been substantial with more to come (hats off to PR maestro Mick Houghton for that). So good luck to them, one and all. For me, on the periphery of this five-sided bandwagon, it was a particular joy to see Terry Cox back behind a drum kit on the group’s two song performance at the BBC Folk Awards earlier this month: the man is an unsung hero, and oozed positivity.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2007, 08:03:23 PM »

Thanks Bob....as I say, I'm having a ***p day!  Poor Colin - what a terribly shabby way for him to be treated...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2007, 12:06:26 PM »

Well, mine has just arrived - and it looks and sounds magnificent!  Ridiculously bloody good value at 17.99 delivered from Play.com

Nice article and interview with the band in the April edition of Word magazine...

Bob Barrows
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Bob

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »

Hmm - time to check at Amazon for the status of my order ...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2007, 09:14:40 PM »

I had put up a bit of the Word interview here - but have been asked to remove it as it's caused a bit of a rumpus between the band and associates I believe.   Anyway, happy to do so, but if you are in W H Smith's I suggest a quick browse of pages 70-73 of the April issue...

As a lighter interlude, I'll just quote a small section of the same interview talking about the Folk Awards...

"Various members of Fairport Convention arrive looking like senior college lecturers and ambitious prelates."  Now that's contentious  Grin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:36:52 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: