TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 04, 2024, 02:57:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sense of Occasion  (Read 206822 times)
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2007, 12:34:03 AM »

Mike Batt "wrote" a track called "A One Minute Silence" and put it on a CD, the cheeky ******...

And ended then up in a plagurism battle with a dead man who wrote it first - which he LOST.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2276621.stm

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »

That is so funny!  Thanks Prof! Smiley

Been through the album a few more times now, favourite tracks so far - Spring Song and The Vision.  Both CL and both take me "someplace else".

Is it just me or is there some kind of big "journey" theme going on, on the whole album?  Heading off to realms uncharted, possibly in a VW camper??

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2007, 01:43:30 PM »

Off sick at the moment (the dreaded flu bug) so I've had the time & luxury (!!) to listen to the album several times uninterrupted & ... I like it - quite a lot actually.  Particularly like Love On a Farmboy's Wages, Just Dandy, Your Heart & Mine, Untouchable & Best Wishes but there's nothing to dislike (puts tin helmet on - but remember I'm still running quite a high temperature!)
Wasn't sure about South Dakota to Manchester at first - it's very, very similar (to my ears anyway) to the tightrope song on OTNH - but the wretched chorus gets stuck in your head.
Looking forward to hearing the songs performed live when the tour reaches Scotland next weekend.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2007, 02:38:58 PM »

"Wasn't sure about South Dakota to Manchester at first - it's very, very similar (to my ears anyway) to the tightrope song on OTNH - but the wretched chorus gets stuck in your head." (Sorry, not sure how the quotes work!)

Chris Leslie's songs tend to do that. In Our Town (one of my favourite tracks on the album) starts off identically to My Love Is In America.

Interesting the diversity of views that are coming accross over which are the best tracks. I'm surprised that so many people are going for Love On A Farmboy's Wages. Good song but so well known in its original incarnation.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2007, 02:44:23 PM »

" Love On A Farmboy's Wages. Good song but so well known in its original incarnation.

youve got to remember that this lot are by and large folkies and xtc is a new fangled drug to them

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #305 on: February 14, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »

Ah yes! But XTC have certainly flirted with the F word. DM even played on some of their stuff. Not this track though, I think.
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #306 on: February 14, 2007, 04:01:29 PM »

" Love On A Farmboy's Wages. Good song but so well known in its original incarnation.

youve got to remember that this lot are by and large folkies and xtc is a new fangled drug to them

Well, I've certainly heard the XTC original and the Poozies cover of it, and I had
to listen to it a second time to not compare it to those and evaluate it on its own merits.  Having done that, I think it is quite nicely done, but I do wonder if I'd like it more if I didn't have the other versions in my head.  For some reason, I tend to like the current FC's cover versions more if I hear them prior to other versions of a song.

For example, I have never heard the original version of "Westward" from OTNH, and although I know some on this list have stated that they don't care for it, I quite enjoy it as a change of pace use of the current group's harmonies.

As far as a review of the whole album, I think that the current one doesn't have
any songs that aren't decent individually, but there isn't any one song that is just immediately grabbing my attention as one that I think has the earmarks of a song that needs/demands a place in the permanent rotation.  If I heard any of them live, I might possibly change my opinion, but I do think that says something
about a "playing it safe" feeling that has engendered a "Fairport by numbers" criticism I've seen popping up in some reviews.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2007, 04:05:31 PM »

Steve Ashley's Best Wishes is spectacular played live..  just fantastic!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #308 on: February 14, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

even South Dakota To Manchester which I initially found rather monotonous is beginning to reveal its attractions

South Dakota thingy reminds me of a 10cc song... Rochale to somewhere else, or something.

Probably my lack of musical education but there's something rather impressive about working both South Dakota and Manchester into the same song title - still some way to go before reaching the heights of the rhyming Northamptonshire in "Close to the Wind", though.

Steve
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #309 on: February 14, 2007, 04:26:23 PM »

Probably my lack of musical education but there's something rather impressive about working both South Dakota and Manchester into the same song title - still some way to go before reaching the heights of the rhyming Northamptonshire in "Close to the Wind", though.

Steve

Northamptonshire DOES NOT ryhme with Poor.

Jackdaw
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »

Is it just me or is there some kind of big "journey" theme going on, on the whole album?  Heading off to realms uncharted, possibly in a VW camper??

You could be right, Anna.  The new album has certainly made me reflective about my own journey, and not always comfortably, I may add.  But that’s one of the things that makes for a good song, isn’t it?

Keep On Turning The Wheel brings back happy memories of touring in our old VW camper – Orkney, Cornwall, the Western Isles...  

I really like the reworking of Polly On The Shore and Tam Lin, which I don’t find too long but then I’m used to listening to long stories.  (It’s part and parcel of my job!)

Your Heart And Mine is beautiful, as is Spring Song.  Simon does a good ‘fierce’ in Hawkwood’s Army and Best Wishes finishes it all of superbly; everyone in harmony.

For me, there’s plenty of emotional engagement and connections made, musical or otherwise (ho hum).  I love it, love it, love it!  Looking forward to hearing some of it live at a winter tour gig; plus other favourites.

KOTTW chaps.

P.S.  Has anyone else noticed that the sleeve notes seem to have some words missing? – a couple of verses of Untouchable and one line of Best Wishes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:14:12 AM by Katys Mum » Logged
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #311 on: February 15, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »

P.S.  Has anyone else noticed that the sleeve notes seem to have some words missing? – a couple of verses of Untouchable and one line of Best Wishes.

they are taking the piss because they know that 90 per cent of their fanbase dont have eyes good enough to read the ludicrously small print they use in cd's

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #312 on: February 15, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »

I noticed the missing line in Best Wishes yesterday
when I was typing out the words to put on the wall.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #313 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:38 AM »

I suggest that you put a comment about the missing lines in the comment box under the SOC Launch bit on the website. There is always the possibility that it hasn't been noticed. Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #314 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »

I noticed the missing line in Best Wishes yesterday
when I was typing out the words to put on the wall.

You are typing out the words to put on the wall?

Haven't you got any Laura Ashley or something, woman?

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2007, 11:01:14 AM »

Well, I've listened to the entire CD a few times now - and in my opinion, its Fairport's finest album for quite a few years... the individual songs and tunes hang together so well - there's a definite flow to the whole thing.  Well done, chaps!!  Grin

Flobbadob!
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #316 on: February 15, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »

A friend of mine picked up the album to look at in a music store in London yesterday, and spontaneously burst out laughing  Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #317 on: February 15, 2007, 12:14:36 PM »

in my opinion, its Fairport's finest album for quite a few years...

How many is quite a few? What's the last one you liked more? For me it would be Who Knows Where The Time Goes & before that The Five Seasons (much neglected when it comes to live performances I feel).
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #318 on: February 15, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »

A friend of mine picked up the album to look at in a music store in London yesterday, and spontaneously burst out laughing  Fez

The reason for the mirth being?

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #319 on: February 15, 2007, 12:30:53 PM »

The reason for the mirth being?

Ummm, haven't we been here before?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: