TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:31:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fotheringay 2"?  (Read 96568 times)
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »

I just pre-ordered the 180 gram vinyl version of this.I can't wait to get it.I also can't wait to see the previously unpublished photos that are not available in the cd version.

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »

I got this album in the post yesterday and track 1  (John the Gun ) is worth the money alone --- fab stuff  -----of it  .

You are what you eat !!!
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2008, 05:49:51 PM »

Someone has probably said this already, what an appalling cover, nice inserts etc, the art department should be sacked.

Loved the album though.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2008, 06:59:17 PM »

And Simon does a good Trevor Lucas (at least if you go by his 'Polly on the Shore).

McTell does a good Trevor Lucas.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »

Finally got my copy on Friday.  And now I can compare with the radio sessions too.

I really rate the new record.  The blnding of old and new seems to have been done very artfully to my ears.  It doesn't sound like a 'new' record to me, it sounds timeless.  Just a couple of minor niggles though...

1) John The Gun seems to have some digital distortion towards the end of the track.  Anyone else notice this?  Probably just a mastering fault, but a shame no-one caught it in time.

2) I prefer the version of Knights On The Road on Rosie, but this alternate mix is still very good (one of my fave Trev songs).  Makes me wonder why The Plainsman didn't make the cut though, as it too originated with Fotheringay.

3) I prefer the mix of Late November that was issued as a bonus track on North Star Grassman... - JD seems to have mixed his own wonderful lead guitar too low in the mix on the new version.

4) I wonder if Sandy was with-holding her new songs on purpose - surely she'd have wanted to do more than two of her own songs?  Makes me think she wasn't 100% behind the album at the time.  This lack of Sandy originals is the major fault with Fotheringay 2.

But those quibbles aside, a great album!  Wild Mountain Thyme is particularly wonderful.  Really pleased to have this and am now playing it repeatedly.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »

Just acquired this at a Pentangle gig last night...now to play it. Cheesy

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Addie
Fizzy beef juice?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Walsall

Unspoilt By Progress

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »

Only had one listen yet, very good.

Must say cheers to Elliot  for a damn quick delivery and saving me that last signed one, cheers mate.  Wink

Sidling out of stores gingerly and embracing margins since 2008
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:42 PM »

I wonder if Sandy was with-holding her new songs on purpose - surely she'd have wanted to do more than two of her own songs?  Makes me think she wasn't 100% behind the album at the time.  This lack of Sandy originals is the major fault with Fotheringay 2.

Now, which 'new songs' would those be, Jules? It's not clear she had anything else of her own to offer in the second half of 1970... I suppose she could have dusted off one from the bottom drawer - like the lovely 'Now and Then', demoed for Fairport but not recorded with them.

I thought it was Joe Boyd who was less than 100% behind the album? As for Sandy's attitude, Jerry D told a certain biographer: 'It was at the peak of her enthusiasm with the band, the start of the second album. It was showing every sign of being a lot better than the first'.

I'm not sure it's better than the first, but it's pretty damn amazing.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2008, 08:58:20 AM »

Now, which 'new songs' would those be, Jules?

I was just assuming that Sandy would have some of her North Star Grassman... tunes ready to go at this stage.  Maybe I'm wrong to assume this.....

Jules

Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »

The way Jerry D. told it, Sandy got the preasure to go solo after the base tracks for Fotheringay 2 had been laid down.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »

The way Jerry D. told it, Sandy got the preasure to go solo after the base tracks for Fotheringay 2 had been laid down.

Yes, that's the way I understand it too.  I was just surprised to see only two Sandy originals in the tracklisting.....

Jules

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2008, 03:32:02 PM »

My brother has bought me a copy for my birthday.  He's burned a copy and put it in the post.  Will it ever arrive...?  I really hope so, but the post to here is pretty dodgy (that's why he didn't send the original - I'll collect that next time I'm home!)

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alex_G

Loc: North Somerset, UK

« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2008, 05:08:25 PM »

Those that haven't yet been tempted may be by this.

As part of a promotion through IODA and Fledgling I have three tracks for free download on Folk Radio UK station blog to tempt listeners with.

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/offbeat/2008/10/10/fotheringay-2-free-tracks/

Alex
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2008, 07:27:35 PM »

Those that haven't yet been tempted may be by this.

As part of a promotion through IODA and Fledgling I have three tracks for free download on Folk Radio UK station blog to tempt listeners with.

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/offbeat/2008/10/10/fotheringay-2-free-tracks/

Alex
Grin Is it two or three?  Cheesy
Alex_G

Loc: North Somerset, UK

« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2008, 07:37:31 PM »

I've just been asked to remove them. Came as a surprise as the downloads are not from me but are hosted by IODA Promonet who are part of the IODA Alliance: http://www.iodalliance.com/

I've suggested that they take the issue up with IODA who offer such promotions to stations and podcasters worldwide. Though I better let you know

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2008, 04:03:04 PM »

Still getting into this.  I gotta say that Eppie Moray is fantastic - full of drama and grit.  Terrific vocal from Big Trev!

Jules

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »

Received my free copy from Fledg'ling, I was one of the Salut! Live winners so thanks to Colin Randall and David Suff   Cheesy Wink Cheesy

It's really brilliant and reflects great credit on everybody especially Jerry Donahue. Quite frankly I was prepared to make allowances but the sound quality is terrific. Obviously one can detect anomalies like Gerry Conway's style changing a bit since 1970 but that's creativity, innit.

Us folk snobs wrote off Wild Mountain Thyme as something best left to the Spinners. I used to cringe and say to myself "Oh, if only Sandy would record that she could crack it". At last - tears shed while listening. Eppie Moray is brill, Trev doing a Dick Gaughan before Dick Gaughan, and all round a worthy successor to Tam Lin. Late November is a wonderful "first cut" and also dead on the same pitch as our piano so I can play along and drive the cat mad. I must say I prefer the version of Knights of the Road on Rosie and I seem to have heard Trev do a better version of Bold Jack Donahue somewhere else but when all's said and done, they were originally only guide vocals.

At the moment my favourites are Thyme, Eppie Moray and Silver Threads and Golden Needles but the record is going to get a lot more plays so that may change. The relish on the baguette is Richard Williams' splendid sleeve notes - I used to sit next to him at school! Well done Rich, way to go.      
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 09:16:20 PM by Edthefolkie » Logged

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2008, 07:33:58 PM »

I'm still waiting for mine from Amazon. It is backordered.  I still wish they had made a box set with all the live stuff, bbc stuff, and the videos. But this is a good start. Can't wait to hear it.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Hi all. November issue of Ultimo Buscadero, italian rock magazine with good reputation awarded Fotheringay 2 with a 4 stars review (that's very good because this magazine usually prefers the US side of rock)

best

Paolo
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:27 PM »

It's also got a good review in the latest Mojo.

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: