TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:36:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AT2 / The Boot on E-Bay  (Read 23461 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 09:44:58 AM »

Cropredy Capers just never did it for me, I'm afraid.  Like, sadly, all of those Free Reed box sets, with the possible exception of the Sandy one, but that's another topic I guess.

The Sandy box wasn't Free Reed.  Actually I really like Cropredy Capers, but most of the Free Reed boxes are flawed usually because of difficulty and expenses accessing officially released material.  Most of the boxes tend to be more akin to official boots, with all the shades of quality that implies.

Jules

I like Cropredy Capers too and there is more good stuff than bad on the RT box but I agree that a lot of Unconventional is pretty hard work.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »

Cropredy Capers just never did it for me, I'm afraid.  Like, sadly, all of those Free Reed box sets, with the possible exception of the Sandy one, but that's another topic I guess.

The Sandy box wasn't Free Reed.  Actually I really like Cropredy Capers, but most of the Free Reed boxes are flawed usually because of difficulty and expenses accessing officially released material.  Most of the boxes tend to be more akin to official boots, with all the shades of quality that implies.

Jules

I like Cropredy Capers too and there is more good stuff than bad on the RT box but I agree that a lot of Unconventional is pretty hard work.

That explains the Sandy Box then...!  The Free Reed boxes are flawed for me a) because of the hugely variable sound quality and sometimes truly amateur editing and balancing work, but even more importantly (after all I love a lot of boots) for me is the themed nature of the discs.  It just doesn't work for me....give me an historical narrative approach any time.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 07:12:12 PM »

Jules

That explains the Sandy Box then...!  The Free Reed boxes are flawed for me a) because of the hugely variable sound quality and sometimes truly amateur editing and balancing work, but even more importantly (after all I love a lot of boots) for me is the themed nature of the discs.  It just doesn't work for me....give me an historical narrative approach any time.

But at the end of the day its got to be the quality of the music that matters . Would you sooner listen to a Free Reed Box or Mariah Careys greatest hits?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »

Jules

But at the end of the day its got to be the quality of the music that matters . Would you sooner listen to a Free Reed Box or Mariah Careys greatest hits?

Strange question!

Place it in a too challenging context and even the best music can get lost.  And for the reasons I have stated I find the Free Reed boxes too challenging...but I still listen to the odd song or two, just not a disc at a time...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

This is not necessarily true, regardless of the quality of the music if the listening experience is difficult because of lack of attention to different recording levels or in the case of Fairport changes in style it can cause a jarring and less than enjoyable experience. As a listening experience Mariah may be less difficult than a Free reed box. Interestingly this problem is not as evident on the Thompson box.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 08:01:08 PM »

Interestingly this problem is not as evident on the Thompson box.

There's a couple of real jarring sound level edits though, where material from different eras come out of the speakers at wildly different volumes.  You're right though, overall, the sound quality is better...the thematic approach isn't though.  For all of the afore mentioned reasons, sadly I never bought the Dave Pegg box...I know it will annoy me something rotten, but I still want it.  Ever the completist...  Smiley

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »

There's a couple of real jarring sound level edits though, where material from different eras come out of the speakers at wildly different volumes.  You're right though, overall, the sound quality is better...the thematic approach isn't though.  For all of the afore mentioned reasons, sadly I never bought the Dave Pegg box...I know it will annoy me something rotten, but I still want it.  Ever the completist...  Smiley

Points taken with all of the above. I don't tend to listen to the boxes in order or even entire discs. Mostly the tracks pop up at random on my I-Pod or music server. The "sound check" feature is enabled so the problem isn't as noticeable and the quality of the songs and performances stand on their own. I don't tend to look at boxed sets generally a chronological listening experiences. They are just collections of tracks that I want to hear.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »

This is not necessarily true, regardless of the quality of the music if the listening experience is difficult because of lack of attention to different recording levels or in the case of Fairport changes in style it can cause a jarring and less than enjoyable experience. As a listening experience Mariah may be less difficult than a Free reed box. Interestingly this problem is not as evident on the Thompson box.

Music ceases to be enjoyable when you analyse it too much. I like what I like , I dont need to analyse it. Chill!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2008, 09:28:17 PM »

Music ceases to be enjoyable when you analyse it too much. I like what I like , I dont need to analyse it. Chill!!

No analysis involved just an uncomfortable move between styles and sound qualities. Happy to Chill though Grin Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

I agree that the Thompson box suffers less than the others.  His work seems to have its own sense of cohesion.

I too am of the opinion that the thematic approach doesn't work too well, and I also would prefer a chronological approach.  In fact I rearranged the Unconventional set in such a way.  What this tends to highlight though is gaps in the story and  I appreciate that the thematic approach may have suited Free Reed's needs best given the material they had at their disposal.

There's no excuse for the differing sound levels though - even I, a rank amateur, could have sorted that one out!

And actually, David, you should rethink getting the Pegg box.  It's one of the better ones, and certainly more cohesive than Unconventional.  And once again, it's not strictly a Free Reed box, but a Matty Grooves box!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »

For those who wish to make thir own adjustments to the track volumes, back the CD's up to MP3 and then goto http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php (for Mac or PC). You can then reburn the tracks to CD with equalised volumes.

There's an AAC version for those that prefer that format.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »

Both CD sets are up again on eBay now.  The seller (vinylnigel) clearly hasn't got a sense of humour though...they both start at £75 a shot.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »

The Sandy box wasn't Free Reed.  

David Suff at The Bees Knees released that, I think.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: