TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 10:36:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fotheringay 2"?  (Read 97477 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: October 25, 2006, 12:25:39 PM »

Hi all

I've read several articles and interviews online and in publications which tell me that Jerry Donahue has been compiling a "Fotheringay 2" album for some time now.  Does anybody know if this project is still going ahead, or whether it's been set aside?

I'd love to hear the finished product, as I'm sure many of us would.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

Hi Jules,

There was a thread about Fotheringay a while back. I would love to see a box set with all the studio and live stuff, plus a dvd of the videos.

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=18992.0

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Thor-Rune

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 11:45:13 PM »

While working with Jerry on "Many ears to please", he told me that he is still trying to put "Fotheringay 2" together. But there are many issues to settle, not least the legal ones. And also finding all the stuff he'd like to include on the CD. Besides, Jerry is quite busy playing live with various groups and artists. So progress is probably rather slow, but I got the impression it's still on. I will ask him next time I talk to him, but don't hold your breath.

Thor-Rune
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:49:09 AM »

Thanks for the info, guys!

Jules

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 12:09:14 PM »

It's obviously not very high up Jerry Donahue's list of priorities. Here's something from January '98 saying he's been "trying for a while now to reconstruct" Fotheringay 2: http://www.geocities.com/solukmavi/sd-fotheringay.html. It sounds like the kind of thing David Suff could be doing. His company, Fledg'ling, reissued the first album. He is much experienced in tracking down recordings and negotiating rights - look at his work on the Boxful of Treasures. And, in compiling the latter, didn't he go through all the Fotheringay studio material? I thought that was how Silver Threads and Golden Needles came to light. So, come on guys! There's a sad anniversary coming up in April 2008 and this release would be one way to mark it.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:04 PM »

It's obviously not very high up Jerry Donahue's list of priorities. Here's something from January '98 saying he's been "trying for a while now to reconstruct" Fotheringay 2: http://www.geocities.com/solukmavi/sd-fotheringay.html. It sounds like the kind of thing David Suff could be doing. His company, Fledg'ling, reissued the first album. He is much experienced in tracking down recordings and negotiating rights - look at his work on the Boxful of Treasures. And, in compiling the latter, didn't he go through all the Fotheringay studio material? I thought that was how Silver Threads and Golden Needles came to light. So, come on guys! There's a sad anniversary coming up in April 2008 and this release would be one way to mark it.

Well said that man, I couldn't agree more.  If Jerry was to hand over what he had so far to David than I'm sure David would be keen to see the project through if Jerry is too busy.  Maybe they could even work as a team.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:42:44 PM »

Ooh, that looks tasty!

By the way, I heard from Mr JD himself recently and he said the project is still on, and he may have some news for us all real soon.  Yay!   Fez

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 05:42:04 PM »

As posted above in Fairport Chatter, Fledg'ling has announced a September 29, 2008 release date for "Fotheringay 2."

Details are at the FC website.

Color me excited!
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 06:04:55 PM »

I am very excited about the official release. Is there a way to get the live material? I can't seem to sign up and would love some clean live Fotheringay. I look to their version of John the gun. Spet 29th is not far off. Great news.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »

Tracklist of Fotheringay 2:

John the Gun * Eppie Moray * Wild Mountain Thyme * Knights of the Road * Late November * Restless * Gypsy Davey * I Don’t Believe You * Silver Threads and Golden Needles * Bold Jack Donahue * Two Weeks Last Summer
http://www.thebeesknees.com/?cat=16

Above is the listing on the Fledg’ling site, 11 tracks in all. The News section on the Fairport site talks about an album of 13 tracks. However, I’d heard that ‘Lowlands of Holland’ and the untitled instrumental have been dropped from the final cut. Anyone able to confirm this?

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 08:51:27 PM »

I've just read this on another forum.  Can't vouch for it's accuracy...

"Anybody who knows Elliott from Wall Of Sound, well he's having a party on 28
September at his shop in Huddersfield for the release of the album...contact him to find out more"

This is their website for the online store at least...

http://www.wallofsound-records.com/index.php

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »

I read something about that recently and I cannot for the life of me remember where.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:04:38 PM »

Tracklist of Fotheringay 2:

John the Gun * Eppie Moray * Wild Mountain Thyme * Knights of the Road * Late November * Restless * Gypsy Davey * I Don’t Believe You * Silver Threads and Golden Needles * Bold Jack Donahue * Two Weeks Last Summer
http://www.thebeesknees.com/?cat=16

Above is the listing on the Fledg’ling site, 11 tracks in all. The News section on the Fairport site talks about an album of 13 tracks. However, I’d heard that ‘Lowlands of Holland’ and the untitled instrumental have been dropped from the final cut. Anyone able to confirm this?

I'm so stoked about this release!

Tried to order it today but it wasn't on the schedules yet at my local indie CD shop.  Patience, patience....

Cool

Jules

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 07:48:39 AM »

I ordered it yesterday from Fledgling:

http://www.thebeesknees.com/?page_id=204&category=10

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »

September at his shop in Huddersfield for the release of the album...contact him to find out more"

I know Elliott!

I will try to blag an invite!

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 09:01:10 AM »

Bring it on! Fantastic news.  Smiley  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

I'm puzzled. is this relevant to Fotheringay? if so, how?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »

Thusly.

Thought I'd cross post this from the other Fairport list....

Hi All,

Many of you may be aware that the second and until now unreleased Fotheringay 2 album is about to get a release at the end of September.
To celebrate it, I'm planning on a launch do at 7pm on Saturday 27th September at my shop Wall of Sound Records in Huddersfield. We're hoping to give everyone a first listen to the album and offer it at a discounted price on the night and hopefully make a bit of an event of it with some memorabilia/ pictures and guests. I can't confirm anything in detail yet as we're still working on it but it will certainly happen in some shape or form on that night. There will be no need for a ticket/ invitation and you'll all be be than welcome to come and celebrate this landmark release with us.
I'll keep you posted and if anyone has anything that they think they can contribute to the night, please contact me.

Cheers,

Elliot Smaje
Wall of Sound Records
42, John William Street
Huddersfield
HD1 1ER
West Yorkshire

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 03:47:41 PM »

For those (vast majority I assume!) who do not know Elliott, he is a top bloke and a huge RT fan - he contributed some of the tracks on the RT boxed set (and is ctedited in the backof the book). Also friendly as hell.

I'm sure that the press release above is genuine - i.e. he is doing it out of excitement and a sense of occasion, I don't know of him doing anything similar for other releases.

Also,  Wall Of Sound is vinyl heaven, I have even considered buying a deck so that I can go and shop there....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 04:30:02 PM »

Thusly.

Thought I'd cross post this from the other Fairport list....

Hi All,

Many of you may be aware that the second and until now unreleased Fotheringay 2 album is about to get a release at the end of September.
To celebrate it, I'm planning on a launch do at 7pm on Saturday 27th September at my shop Wall of Sound Records in Huddersfield. We're hoping to give everyone a first listen to the album and offer it at a discounted price on the night and hopefully make a bit of an event of it with some memorabilia/ pictures and guests. I can't confirm anything in detail yet as we're still working on it but it will certainly happen in some shape or form on that night. There will be no need for a ticket/ invitation and you'll all be be than welcome to come and celebrate this landmark release with us.
I'll keep you posted and if anyone has anything that they think they can contribute to the night, please contact me.

Oh, Duh! Move along ... nothing more to see here ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: