TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: World Tour Of Essex  (Read 21941 times)
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« on: November 14, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »

Tee-hee! No, we went and had a lovely time thank you Ces. Moses were excellent despite teetering on the edge of disaster with some sound problems and breaking strings etc, and Hughes warmed up as he went along (also struggling with some aural nasties such as one side of the PA cutting out at random intervals). The dry wit and stonking guitaring saw him through with aplomb and a second encore of 'Ruby Does' created moist eyes in our row - it's been on me noggin ever since, as has 'Heart Of Stone', but then that's always on me noggin anyway. I'm afraid I didn't watch Pavlov's Cat cos I was detained by a barman.

That's enough about music. Keith, FB, the missus and me met in The Fox & Fiddler early on and were royally entertained by Mental Jeff the landlord, before DH popped in for a Greene King and a licquorice rollie. We were joined by Moses' very own stalkers, John and Wendy (they go to pretty much every Moses show...from Brighton  Shocked ). A splendid time was had by all.

Then there was a gig.

Afterwards, the bar allowed us all to hang out for a bit more, and we just waited for Dave from Moses to get drunk so that the real show could begin - he's terribly entertaining y'know. Keith did manage to have a serious conversation with him for about 90 seconds though, which is a world record in my experience. There was lots of prodding of hmulley's tummy, and we struck up a new friendship with Sophie, who sometimes sings with Moses, but we'd never met before - she likes a Stella or two, I can tell you. Lovely girl, cracking voice and very enthusiastic about babies....but not yet. Her beau Seamus looked on in terror.

By the end only the Essex massive were left - Hughes, FB, hmulley and self - we were turfed out of the bar very gracefully around the witching hour, bundled FB into the back of the van and dropped him off in his rural idyll before zooming off to ours, happy and with tunes buzzing in our heads. A grand night.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Ces
His audience wanted more
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Ammanford, South Wales

Fear & loathing in Lllllanvegas

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 12:41:09 PM »

Sounds a cracking night, James (even kicking the ITV Pop Quiz into touch Shocked). Did the Hughster do "Two Stroke' (my personal fave off "I Can Explain'?).

And it's amazing the magnetic effect of a pregnant woman's bulge is on folks who have "had a few'...prodding, patting, listening etc.

'Bout time you East coast lot bundled your instruments into a double-decker bus and took a magical mystery tour of the Wild West Grin

It's hard being the only grey-beard in the village
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 12:54:52 PM »

Did the Hughster do "Two Stroke' (my personal fave off "I Can Explain'?).

He most certainly did, and very good it was too.

'Bout time you East coast lot bundled your instruments into a double-decker bus and took a magical mystery tour of the Wild West Grin

Or we could set sail from Maldon and see you in about a week. Can one navigate up the river to your house in a Thames barge?

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »

As James said earlier it was a stonking evening, we met up early and as james said "Fox & Fiddler chaps...nicer beer and bonkers landlord."
he was as usual correct although the landlord was a little more than bonkers. Mr Hughes joined us and we eventualy gravitated to the bar at the headgate. never been in here before, its a lovely venue, small and intimate. I must recomend Moses to the board they were great, and what troupers, keeping control (just) as the whole world fell apart around them (not to mention straight faces).
David Hughes took to the stage and played up a storm. I did not notice the techie problems as James did but with his distinctive guitar style ringing through the theater David had us in the palm of his hand, I even forgave him the birthday greetings in the middle of the set. Great set, great evening, great people. I am very glad I went.
BTW thanks for the lift home guys, I was gonna walk. its only 3 miles, another beer I owe Ms Mulley after she finally delivers.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

A truly great evening for me - a little starstruck, I must admit, but only in the face of people far more talented than me.

Lovely to meet fB, Helen and James - such lovely people - and a pleasure to have the attention of Mr Hughes who must be congratulated for tolerating my ramblings in the pub, down the road and in the theatre bar. So polite  Smiley

Moses were also lovely people, and no slouches on the stage either. Some excellent numbers, and great entertainment, especially the hot-dogging guitar string break jive (see pic).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 10:00:00 PM »

Lovely photo of you and DH Keith!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 10:10:15 PM »

DH was awe-inspiring. A prodigious talent who oozes poetry, performance and humour, and had the audience caught in his homeland tales.

"Heart of Stone" is one song that has to be heard live - the Maldonian atmosphere fizzed off every string, although every song that night had something special to say. I was truly taken by the gorgeous "Ruby Does"; having two girls aged 5 and 6, this tale of a homebound eleven year old already rings true. Despite undoubted protestations by said Ruby (famille Hughes in the audience and bar, and all charming) a deal was struck involving a cheeky version of "Teenage Dirtbag" which we were none the poorer for. "Jellybabe" finished off a short but stunning set. I am hooked.

Thanks to everyone I met - I hope to meet you all very soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

www.underminers.org
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 10:13:21 PM »

That's the worst Peter, Paul and Mary tribute band I've ever seen..... Grin
SK

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 10:21:37 PM »

That's the worst Peter, Paul and Mary tribute band I've ever seen..... Grin
SK

But can you spot who's in the background?

www.underminers.org
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 10:29:43 PM »

I was too astonished to see you'd actually got James to sit still while he had an empty glass to notice at first....
Nice chap that Hughes - somebody ought to check his hands for extra fingers though, I reckon. Got the albums?
SK

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 10:34:22 PM »

That's another photo of James with his eyes shut. Doesn't he like cameras?

Paul

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2004, 10:45:53 PM »

Got the albums?

Recognised and (signed) I Can Explain.

Strange that he plugs Recognised rather than the other studio albums, does anyone have any opinions on them?

www.underminers.org
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »

Personally I love 'em all.  The man is unique talent.

Anyone got a copy of Curtains, though?  Roll Eyes

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 01:05:53 PM »

Nice pictures Keith, god! do I always look that rough?
It was a great evening and all the turns were great, and yes shane I think david Hughes must have a few extra fingers too.
great style.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 01:21:17 PM »

Strange that he plugs Recognised rather than the other studio albums, does anyone have any opinions on them?

'Recognised' is 'An Introduction To'.
The studio albums each have there own feel, but Recognised shows the whole scope of DH's work. That's why it's cheap. We want people who have never heard of him, to risk it and then investigate further.

As for the studio albums.
Curtains and Active in the Parish were not Folk Corporation releases and although there should be some at distributors, they are difficult to find.

50 Yards of David Hughes is only available if you get David or myself to dig around in our sheds and find just one more copy. (However I do have a stack of CD's with no case and we might well be doing a special offer.)

This Other Eden is still available and I do have a couple of boxes left.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
hmulley
Treading Lightly

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 01:23:06 PM »

... and very nice to meet you too, Keith! Lovely pixtures.
I don't know why it is that James never has his eyes open in photographs. I suspect he's worried that the camera will steal his soul.

Or his mojo.

BigLove
Hx

I am not a *sausage*. I have a *face*.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 02:43:13 PM »

I don't know why it is that James never has his eyes open in photographs. I suspect he's worried that the camera will steal his soul.

Or his mojo.

You definitely came out best in that last photo Helen - though that was inevitable given the competition (and the fact that James has David Hughes growing out of his head)  Grin

www.underminers.org
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 05:24:33 PM »

Or his mojo.

You definitely came out best in that last photo Helen - though that was inevitable given the competition (and the fact that James has David Hughes growing out of his head)  Grin

Keith you should know that the best roses are always surrounded by thorns, although I thing James did come out rather better than me
but then he is younger and rather more talented.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 10:02:09 PM »

The Moses messageboard posters are nothing if not succinct and to the point;

The closing set was by David Huges, a guitar-picker of some class who also sang witty lyrics inspired by life in Maldon, Essex - "the real Blackwater side," he claimed, in reply to his good mate and sometime touring partner Bert Jansch.

I'm sure the surname thing is a typo, and not an observation... Shocked
Skirky

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 10:54:11 PM »

Yes.

Brilliant

mikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: