TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 Swarb's Lazarus at Farnsfield Acoustic  (Read 82564 times)
mikemush

Loc: Harlow,Essex :-(

"In his forties,and still unusual" H.Rawlinson

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »

Magic.The whole night was just magic.   Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2006, 04:58:55 PM »

Just remembered -  the look on Swarb's face as he played the audience - as well as the fiddle - and we responded Cheesy . And the expressions on the faces of the audience Cheesy

Magic

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »

So did he sing (unfortunately, I doubt it), what did they play, etc etc....one of you must be back on planet earth by now....

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2006, 05:04:03 PM »

No he didn't sing, but he talked and talked, and laugheed and joked Grin Grin Grin Grin

Set list? from me?   you know me better than that Wink

mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2006, 06:43:19 PM »

Didn't get to bed til 4am and Gower Flower was still on the settee at 5am I'm told.. so late up this am and too groggy and sleepy to write today...  so not yet on planet earth.. a full review will follow from me.. and hopefully photos from Mike and Stu and Diane and anyone else...

All I can say right now is to echo what everyone else has written and that I will gather my thoughts soon and tell you...  but it was a TRULY STUNNING return for the legendary SWARB.......

SleepyAmethyst

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Snodin

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »

Swarb exceeded expectations - just so good to see him performing again and enjoying himself.  Quite remarkable...  Stayed up with friends 'til the early hours going over and over the experience.  More than worth the journey from Sussex!

Here's a pic (hopefully - if I've got the file size down enough!) that shows him in cheeky chappy mode.

Martin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Snodin

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2006, 07:08:11 PM »

OOO-er, a bit 'big' that picture, I'll have one more go at getting one posted at a sensible size, before I get kicked off the Board!

Martin

Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2006, 09:04:53 PM »

That big pic is ace Snod, well done!

Puggs

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2006, 01:57:08 PM »

WHAT AN EVENING!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Don't know what to say really - I was worried that we'd have to make allowances and was totally floored. The man is unbelievable! Best night out for I don't know how long and an absolute triumph for the human spirit. Not just Swarb, but Kevin, Maart and all you organisers and audience. And especially Jill S without whom.....what a lovely lady.

And let's not forget the hilarity eh? Puggs locking himself out....Kevin forgetting the words AND busting a string...me displaying my lovely body to half the audience (don't ask Lips Sealed)....our friends Dave and Sheila even though jetlagged coming up with 6X, Banana Bread Beer, stout and nibbles....  

I was so hyped up afterwards that I even took a photo of the band van and trailer: how sad is that? Just sorry that I didn't sneak off from work early and have a few jars in the Ship first with you guys. Maybe next time.

And now, onwards to Steve Ashley later on today!!

Still buzzin.....Ed    

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2006, 11:05:19 PM »

My review's written.. just needs a bit of tweaking in the morning... any more???

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2006, 09:12:48 AM »

I'll be with you in a bit.  I have a few photos, but forgot the lead for the camera, so hopefully tomorrow.

Will try to do a proper review at lunchtime.  For now, just to echo everyone else - FAB!!!!

And me not a major Swarb fan either.  But what an entertainer, and what a player. Smiley

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2006, 10:22:55 AM »

The return of SWARB!

Lowdham Village Hall Friday 10th March 2006

After all the concern for Swarb’s health over the last few years we were over the moon when Kevin Dempsey asked Farnsfield Acoustic if we’d like to put on a gig for Swarb’s new band Lazarus (now known as Swarb’s Lazarus!).

The four of us worked hard to promote the gig for several months, until the hand of fate dictated that both the date and venue had to be changed…  this now meant that not only would we be hosting the gig.. but happily we’d be the very first!

Preparations were made.. tix sold.. and as I drove to the gig I realised that this was truly going to be a great night.  The Lowdham Village Hall is not our normal venue and we were happy to have helpers in the form of ‘The Warthogs’ who run a regular music venue in that hall.  Chairs and tables were set out and very soon Kevin Dempsey arrived..  with SWARB and Jill Swarb. Until the moment Swarb stepped out of the car I had wondered what he’d be like as I’d only ever spoken very briefly to him in the past… he emerged with a huge grin, shook my hand and after the intros to Mike, Jill and Shirley he got up onto the stage and began playing…  What a privilege it was to continue getting the hall ready with Swarb sitting a few feet away playing tune after tune on fiddle and mandolin!!  At one point he looked up and laughed when he noticed Gower Flower dancing round the room.. he knew he was back!

I popped over to the Old Ship Inn a few times to see who had turned up.. met Mikemush and his girls in there and later many more…  people had travelled from all over the country for this gig and many were staying overnight.  Swarb was impressed by the array of sandwiches (Farnsfield) Jill had supplied and was soon tucking in. We’d been asked to supply a small table for Swarb’s fiddle case.. we took one made by Puggs’ dad many years ago.. what a lucky table!

The weather was pretty wet, so, as the sound check was over we opened the doors early. The hall rapidly filled up… we packed the place.. so many smiling faces. There was a large Talkawhile contingent.. many wearing the unmissable Carey Convention tee shirts.  Kath had travelled on her own from Ammanford to be here and talk to Swarb. Earlier Gower Flower and I had chosen a suitable card, which we got all the Talkawhilers (and many more) to sign for Swarb as a ‘welcome back’ greeting. People had travelled many miles and hours to be there..  the furthest being various parts of Wales, Essex and Sussex… they all knew it would be well worth the effort!

Pugwash did the intros..  the cheer shook the room when Swarb walked onto the stage!!!  I’m quite sure I wasn’t the only one with a tear as I realised that here he was about to begin his first gig! He was joined by Maart on bouzaar and guitar and Kev on guitar sitting either side of him. The music began with a set of hornpipes .. and the applause was loud and long!  Swarb’s comment here was that they’d better take the tempo down before we all had heart attacks! Next was a slower song by Kev.. and then followed more tunes. Songs by both Kev and Maart, stories, jokes.. Maart’s joke was a very quick one! Each set of tunes was introduced by title.. apart from those whose names had been forgotten.. all the time Swarb was smiling and laughing.. he looked as though he was enjoying every minute and every note.  He said that they’d rehearsed so many really difficult tunes and now wished they’d practiced tunes that were easier to play!  One set of tunes was very familiar.. though introduced by the individual names.. afterwards Swarb said ‘I thought you’d know that one’! (It’s a very well known Fairport tune set!)

Near the beginning of the first set Kev announced there were two very special guests…  one was Anaphase’s daughter Enya..  it was her very first gig.. ever.. apart from Cropredy.. she was very surprised.  The other guest was Mave the Rave.. mother of Pastieboy.. she stood up and took a bow!!

The interval was buzzing.. the merch table almost sank under the weight of the crowds..  lots of cds sold.  Teas and coffees were on sale.. all in aid of Kath’s trek to the Himalayas for Cancer Research UK.. this made £50 to donate.  Gower Flower continued her task of raffle ticket selling.. the prizes included a cd donated by Maart and a pair of tickets to another gig. £60 was donated to Kath from the raffle, indeed one friend said she hadn’t bought a raffle ticket but handed me a £5 note to put into the collection! I went round trying to catch all the Talkawhilers to ask them to sign the card and the interval was very soon over… Swarb pulled out the winning raffle tickets before climbing the steps top the stage again.

More tunes, songs, stories… Swarb’s well-known tale about not being able to write a tune for each of his wives, as there weren’t enough hours in the day caused much hilarity! He told us he had bought a new fiddle case, and tried to sell us the two fiddles that came with it… A serious moment came when Swarb announced that in his heart he’d always known that he would one day return and thanked us all for being there..  he was one very happy man!

All too soon the end of the second set came to a close..  EVERYONE stood to clap and cheer the man and his band..  I looked round and saw a sea of faces with huge smiles.. Swarb had made it!  And we had all been totally bowled over! There were two encores and another much deserved standing ovation before Maart and Kev left the stage.. only to mingle with the hugely appreciative crowds.  Swarb signed cd after cd still seated on the stage and after a while I gave him the card we had all signed.  He smiled as he opened it and thanked me, telling me that everyone had been so kind,.. he really seemed to appreciate the gesture.

I haven’t posted a set list here as I don’t want to spoil it for those about to see the band.. but if anyone would like a list then please IM me.

It took a long time to chat to people afterwards and to clear up but it was well worth the tiredness .. it was truly a magnificent honour to be there and to see this legend return to the place he should be…

Thank you Swarb, Maart, Kev and everyone else involved!  Hope to see you again very soon.

mikemush

« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2006, 01:15:11 PM »

Good one, Jen..........sums it up very well indeed  Smiley

I'd sort of reckoned it'd be good, but had made allowances in my expectations due to his long lay off. Totally unnecessarily, as it turns out. Should never have doubted the man. All played with the old twinkle in the eye too, and the challenges to Maart and Kevin to keep up as he raised the tempo took me way back.......
    And those two also take huge praise, of course. And the look on Maart's face of initially (almost protective, it seemed to me) pride and pleasure turning to delight that it was all really happening as we'd all hoped it would was no doubt reflected in the faces of everyone in the crowd.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ok......I'll stop gushing now.......

If they're playing anywhere near you, GO AND SEE THEM. You'll not be disappointed.

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »

Just booked to see Lazarus at Rugby on 22nd April!!

Whoooppeeee... Grin Grin

Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »

Well, I don't think I can add anything of substance to that review.  Except to say that I had a FAB time and to thank the organisers and the musicians for a fantastic evening.

I was in stitches for half the night and thinking "wow" for the other half.  A great talent we're so lucky not to have lost.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

An excellent review from Amy and the whole darn lot of you.  Thank you, everyone, for your memories and your photos - we're enjoying them.  Keep 'em coming if you have the time and energy.

Peel
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 08:40:31 PM »

A Night on The Fiddle.......(with apologies to Kevin and Maart)

Jen and I spent a little time that morning picking up one or two bits and pieces needed for the gig – you know, “showbiz” stuff like milk, tea, coffee, biscuits…… Cool

Anyway, the time came to depart for the venue so we loaded up the trusty Winnebago (oh alright, it was a Ford Ka if you must know) and off we toddled to the delightful village of Lowdham.

Preparations were already underway with tables being set out by those wonderful Warthog people. Phew! Chairs I don’t mind, but tables……

I was minding my own business, putting out flyers and leaflets on said tables when I spotted THE MAN HIMSELF standing in the foyer. Have you ever found yourself grinning manically and quite uncontrollably?

“Come on” said Jen. “I want to introduce you to Swarb”. I was of course thrilled to bits to shake the great man’s hand, but fear not dear reader. I kept my composure. Tiara

A little later, Swarb was sitting on stage, having a “warm up” with Kevin Dempsey, when he broke into what I think was “Hen’s March to the Midden”, and I found myself involuntarily stamping around from table to table in time to the music. (Jen kindly refers to this as “dancing” in her review). To my delight, I looked up and saw Swarb pointing at me and saying to his wife Jill “I knew that would get her going!”   Grin

Jenny is a perfectionist, so after moving the Village Hall two metres to the left, I sloped across the road to the pub where I joined Nuthouse and SoN (what a delightful young man!) for a swift half.

On my return, things were hotting up as Kevin, Swarb and Maart completed their sound check. The atmosphere was building now, as the great moment approached.
Finally Puggs delivered a fine introduction and they were off………….

There is nothing I can add to what has already been said about the music and the audience reaction to this wonderful night. What I found equally striking was the reaction of the band itself. Swarb was having a fine old time enjoying being back where he rightly belongs, twinkling mischievously all the while – and that was very gratifying.  Kevin Dempsey looked overcome with emotion early on, reeling slightly at the surge of applause and affection rolling towards them from the back of the hall…. Both he and Maart seemed to keep a protective eye on Swarb.  As Kevin had said earlier “you just can’t stop him!”

Long may he remain unstoppable!  A truly unforgettable night. Cheesy

Gower Flower

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Snodin

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2006, 12:04:01 AM »

Oh, go on then... another pic to remind everyone...

Martin

Anaphase
Avec Lapin et Balconette

Loc: Burton on Trent

Saucy Git

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2006, 01:28:27 AM »

I can't really add much to what has been said other than to say a big Thank You to Jen, Gareth, Jill and Mike for organising it and to Kevin for making that lovely dedication for Enya. Enya was totally made up (as were her dad and myself) as it really made her evening.
The whole band were brilliant and Swarb was a total star.

Lots of pictures taken, I'll sort through them soon and get some of the better ones posted up.

Ana.

Wild Thing!  You make my thing swing....
mikemush

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Just got photos back, but combination of crappy camera and leaping served to ruin most of them.

Here are the least bad:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: