TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:49:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most influential Folk album - ever  (Read 46447 times)
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2005, 08:32:39 PM »

The album /band that influenced me most ,and got me" INTO " folk was ------LED ZEPPELIN 4 . With  the  Battle of Evermore and Stairway  to Heaven  . I wanted more of the same so I bought L&L because of Sandy Denny `s  wonderful  singing on B of E . That/those LP /lp`s blew me away . Since then I`ve been hooked on FC and folk rock .
 The main question is-- where did it start for me? Is the answer  L Z 4  or L & L ? . LZ or FC?
 I really dont know the  answer  to that  .  Huh Fez

You are what you eat !!!
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2005, 09:48:12 PM »

For me, it was The Byrds - particularly their 5TH DIMENSION album.  Their versions of Wild Mountain Tyme and John Riley really opened my eyes and ears to the folk ballad songs.  Once I heard these arrangements, I never turned back!

Certainly, The Byrds primed me for the delight of discovering Fairport some years later. Smiley
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2005, 10:00:24 PM »

The most influential folk album for me had to be All Around my Hat.  I bought from Sunshine Records in Oxford.  I bought it after I heard Steeleye on  Pick of the Pops  or whatever it was called  in 1976 .  I fell in love with Maddy's vocals.  The rest is history, Gamble Gold, The Wife of Ushers Well etc etc  .

Sian

Not been for a while
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2005, 01:41:18 PM »

It's often said that The Band's Big Pink inspired FC to embark on their English Folk Song route. So in a sense Music From Big Pink could be the most influential folk album.
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2005, 02:13:34 PM »

The Dick Gaughan album would be "Handful of Earth" which was voted album of the decade in the '80s. Fabulous album. I heard it played at a Rory McLeod gig 2 weeks ago.
Fairport may yet loose out on a split vote for any of the 3 seminal albums in the period. I'll have to go with L&L as it is the complete package and launched a style of music from which, in Joe Boyd's words so much good, bad and indifferent followed! Also, its nice to see the Fairports winning something!

I used to be a Secondspur
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 02:20:12 PM »

Another spanner in the works, I'm afraid.  I voted for 'Unhalfbricking'.

'Liege & Lief' is often quoted as the 'seminal' English folk-rock album; but without the 'psychedelic folk' experiments of  'Nottamun Town' and 'She Moves Through the Fair' on 'What We Did On Our Holidays' and the epochal 'A Sailor's Life'(with Swarbrick) on 'Unhalfbricking', there would have been no 'L&L'.

I love those first 3 albums and far prefer the 'psychedelic' folk approach than the traditional arrangements rocked up we got afterwards - good as they are. They didn't really come back to that sound until Trev and Jerry joined up for 'Rosie' - which may be why the Lucas-Donahue(-Denny) line-up is my second favourite Fairport era.

Undeniable, as it is a personal preference, but totally irrelevant.

The vote is for "most influential". Ask any Jo Schmo off the street to name a Fairport album and if he is capable of naming one it will more than likely be L&L. It may not be the most influential folk album of all time, but it is unquestionably Fairport's.

Personally, I go for one of his Bobness' oeuvre - probably Highway 61.....

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »

For me, it was The Byrds - particularly their 5TH DIMENSION album.  Their versions of Wild Mountain Tyme and John Riley really opened my eyes and ears to the folk ballad songs.  Once I heard these arrangements, I never turned back!

Certainly, The Byrds primed me for the delight of discovering Fairport some years later. Smiley

being a bit younger at the time, i'll join in again and say the levellers did the same for me, not all that folky, less so subsequently, but without them i would probably have never started going to festivals at all, and so would possibly still be a grungy shoegazer, in my room with my bloody valentine and a stack of freak brothers comics.

long live the fiddle!

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
Pat Helms

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 01:41:55 AM »

but without them i would probably have never started going to festivals at all, and so would possibly still be a grungy shoegazer, in my room with my bloody valentine and a stack of freak brothers comics.

long live the fiddle!
Well...............don't throw away those Freak Brothers Comix!

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 10:47:53 PM »

Looks like Liege and Lief has got it.

According to DM's website he is coming over for the Folk Awards to play with SN, Ashley, Swarb and RT.  We assume that L&L has won the Most Influential Album.

Tickets are by invitation only.  And what's more the bloody show isn't being televised - only being featured on Harding's radio 2 slot.

Photos, Chris?

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Pat Helms

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »

Well, at least one of my votes in 2005 counted!

Congrats to the band!!!!  Well deserved!

Smiley Grin Smiley Grin Smiley Grin
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 11:42:58 PM »

Looks like Liege and Lief has got it.

According to DM's website he is coming over for the Folk Awards to play with SN, Ashley, Swarb and RT.  We assume that L&L has won the Most Influential Album.

Tickets are by invitation only.  And what's more the bloody show isn't being televised - only being featured on Harding's radio 2 slot.

Photos, Chris?

can we not bombard aunte with requests for telefication?

The Dude abides
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 04:50:18 PM »

yes indeed!  I will certainly email the beeb...

Message for Mods - can we have this in a new thread, suitably titled for maximum coverage???

(and if anyone has a spare ticket for the Awards night.............)

Flobbadob!
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2006, 07:12:32 PM »

Just seen copies of L & L in HMV with stickers on stating that it had won the award. Great value at under £6 as well. Grin

rachel
Keith E Rice

Loc: Harrogate

"It's alright...it's only witchcraft!"

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2006, 07:40:33 AM »

Question #1: Can some kind soul provide an e-mail addy to pester the Beeb with, please. (Far too lazy to get it for myself!)

Question #2: But a thought...

Obviously, getting the 'L&L' line-up back together for a televised gig beyond Cropredy is a WONDERFUL idea.

But what chance of making this something other than an exercise of acknowledgement-to-nostalgia?

In other words, using it to give some profile to today's Fairport, Richard's body of work as a solo artist, Ashley's post-Fairport adventures, DM being one of the most sought-after session drummers in the world, etc?

I'm sure there are cleverer heads than mine to think about how to exploit this (to everyone's benefit)...so get to work please.

Question #3: what about the Sandy voice? Richard, (pre-illness) Swarb and Simon all turned out to be capable singers - Swarb being the best at larynx exercises. But 'L&L' was fronted  by one of the most distinctive female voices ever

INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED!
'KNOWING ME, KNOWING YOU: an Integrated SocioPsychology Guide to Personal Fulfilment & Better Relationships'  ISBN 1-4120-8291-9 (Trafford Publishing, 2006)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2006, 08:33:46 AM »

I thought BNC filled in wonderfully last Croppers.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2006, 12:40:27 PM »

I was certainly more impressed with Beth Nielsen Chapman than I was expecting to be.   Smiley
Pat Helms

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 04:39:57 PM »

They could do LADY IS A TRAMP.  Wink
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2006, 07:10:14 PM »

It's llikely to be *far* too late in the day (read film-unit schedules) to start lobbying the Beeb. Where does it state that it isn't being filmed, btw?

Maart
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2006, 08:14:32 PM »

'L&L' was fronted  by one of the most distinctive female voices ever

And will be represented by the fabulous Chris While
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2006, 08:28:39 PM »

Please tell me this'll be on BBC Four, at least.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: