TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:25:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: if a Sandy Denny tribute album were to be made  (Read 19465 times)
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« on: November 22, 2005, 06:30:01 PM »

In her intro to  her rendition of one of the Sandy songs at Cropredy, Beth Nielson Chapman said that there should be a tribute album to Sandy.  I think such a thing could be a very wonderful way to bring attention back to Sandy's original material and expose people who've never heard her work to her many excellent songs.  I wondered who people would like to hear sing some of the Sandy songs on such an album if they could choose.  It would be okay to suggest artists matched to songs, or just pick artists that you think would put a new spin on any Sandy song they might choose to do for such a project.

Of course, there have been many wonderful artists who have tackled the Sandy song spots at various Cropredys, and it would be a shame for some of them not to be included, but I'd still like to suggest some people I've not heard doing any Sandy material previously.  With that in mind, I'll say that I would enjoy hearing Kate Rusby, Bill Jones, Eliza Carthy each doing a track.

Anyone want to pick a song you'd like to hear any of these fine vocalists tackle, or add a different
choice (beyond those who have already done some Sandy songs in the past)?

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:46:02 PM »

I would like artists of today with a mass audience around the world to cover Sandy´s songs so that they get more spread. How about Martha Wainwright take on "It Suits Me Well". What can The White Stripes do with "John The Gun"? I´d love to hear daring versions that appeal to today´s audiences who have never heard of Sandy Denny. In a few days I might have thought up some new names....
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 10:36:44 PM »

I'm right with you there staFCarin! 

Having folks with more mass appeal would give Sandy's legacy a much deserved boost. 

Talents who are closer to the Fairport niche would only be heard by that circle's audience and while I'm sure it would be nice, it couldn't be nearly as effective.

CSN - Old Fashioned Waltz
Crazy Horse  - Wretched Wilbur
Nanci Griffith - Sweet Rosemary

NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »

I would like artists of today with a mass audience around the world to cover Sandy´s songs so that they get more spread. How about Martha Wainwright take on "It Suits Me Well". What can The White Stripes do with "John The Gun"? I´d love to hear daring versions that appeal to today´s audiences who have never heard of Sandy Denny. In a few days I might have thought up some new names....
Staffan

I'd like to hear an Oysterband take on John the Gun, but I'm sure that's still not far enough away from the circle of artists whose fans would already be familiar with Sandy's material to suit you.

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 08:13:33 AM »

I'd like to hear an Oysterband take on John the Gun, but I'm sure that's still not far enough away from the circle of artists whose fans would already be familiar with Sandy's material to suit you.
Maybe Wink Should the rest of the album contain artists that we spontaneously might question in connection with Sandy´s songs (Costello/Krall take on Sandy´s jazzy side, Green Day on Stranger to himself etc.) it would be nice for a wider audience to be able to meet the Oyster´s for the first time. I´m wholeheartedly for musical meetings or clashes, surprisingly mixes etc. With a thought tribute album like this I want it to get as wide audience as possible Smiley
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »

So long as Beth gets to sing at least one song, I really don't mind.

Agree that  getting "unexpected" artists/bands to cover songs could be very exciting.  I'm sure the songs themselves would stand up very well to all kinds of interpretation, and I'd be interested to hear a new take on the old material.  And it would remove the feeling that everyone doing Sandy's songs should be a Sandy impressionist.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 02:26:53 PM »

So long as Beth gets to sing at least one song, I really don't mind.

Agree that  getting "unexpected" artists/bands to cover songs could be very exciting.  I'm sure the songs themselves would stand up very well to all kinds of interpretation, and I'd be interested to hear a new take on the old material.  And it would remove the feeling that everyone doing Sandy's songs should be a Sandy impressionist.

I really don't think most vocalists do try to mimic Sandy's vocals, because I think most of them know they will fall far short.  I think that sometimes it is impossible for them to get Sandy's unique phrasing and sense of timing out of their heads in the Cropredy setting with some of her former bandmates playing the instruments, and sometimes it comes out wonderfully, sometimes it is a bit strained.  Vicki Clayton might be the exception, in that I do feel like she tries to inhabit the same vocal space/range as Sandy, and sometimes she comes quite close.  When it isn't working for her, it seems as though maybe she is trying too hard.  That's my take on it, I'm up for hearing other views on the "impressionist" thought.  I actually like the whole Sandy tribute CD that Vicki did a few years back, apart from a few odd choices of small changes to lyric.

I really do think BNC  did quite nicely on Bushes and Briars, and would love to hear her take on other songs as well.  I started this thread because I felt like her comment re: "there should be a tribute album to Sandy" seemed a bit too casual, and I would love it if she was more serious about being involved in making one happen than I think she probably really is.

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 02:55:01 PM »

Please include one lovely voice which doesn't need to mimic anybody, namely Chris While.

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 03:38:58 PM »

Well how about someone like Madonna covering WKWTTG
would make a nice wedge for the Sandy estate

*runs very quickly and gets a taxi*

It would, wouldn't it?

However, after hearing the wonderful Christine Collister cover it earlier this year, my vote would have to go to her for that song.

How about Madonna doing "The Lady"?

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

Well how about someone like Madonna covering WKWTTG
would make a nice wedge for the Sandy estate

*runs very quickly and gets a taxi*

It would, wouldn't it?

However, after hearing the wonderful Christine Collister cover it earlier this year, my vote would have to go to her for that song.

How about Madonna doing "The Lady"?
Or even "Solo" ? (Can I share your taxi KH?)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 04:27:36 PM »

Madonna is an interesting choice but not singing 'Solo' for me!  That's definitely Beth N-C's after her stunning performance of it at Cropredy.

I'd like to hear Bjork singing 'It Suits Me Well' in her own inimitable way - Now that would be fun!

I think we might need a mini-bus.  Grin

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 04:47:01 PM »

Madonna is an interesting choice but not singing 'Solo' for me!  That's definitely Beth N-C's after her stunning performance of it at Cropredy.

I'd like to hear Bjork singing 'It Suits Me Well' in her own inimitable way - Now that would be fun!

Well, if you are just looking for someone who is very different from Sandy but has a pretty big following, I'd think you could do much worse than Kate Bush.  It was from listening to one of Kate's albums while in college that I first learned that Sandy had gone on to that big band in the sky, so I'm sure she's a fan.

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 05:10:38 PM »

Kylie.  Why not?

Doesn't have to be female voices though, does it?

A few off the wall suggestions for vocalists:

Will Young
Robbie Williams
David Gilmour
Art Garfunkel
Daniel O'Donnell or Foster & Allen (if you want to shift CDs by the shedload to the Woolies contingent)

Flobbadob!
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »

meant in the tongue in cheek sense Dunc!!! Grin Agree with you about BNC by the way  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
snagglepop

Loc: Grantham - england

Lord of the Pants

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »

Kylie.  Why not?

Doesn't have to be female voices though, does it?

A few off the wall suggestions for vocalists:

Will Young
Robbie Williams
David Gilmour
Art Garfunkel
Daniel O'Donnell or Foster & Allen (if you want to shift CDs by the shedload to the Woolies contingent)

Now don't be silly Wink

Everything is stranger than it looks.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2005, 07:25:01 PM »

Robbie Williams?  Yes .... why not - did an excellent job on the swing material (so that now everyone from Westlife to Rod Stewart is copying him).  Yes .... that could be interesting.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2005, 09:25:14 PM »

this is too grotesque for words

Edit: Careful, Jim - you'll be accused of being narrow minded  Wink  Barry
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:44:47 AM by Barry » Logged

The Dude abides
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2005, 09:46:20 PM »

I know it's supposed to be people who haven't sung Sandy's songs, and I don't know whether this lady has or not. I would very much like to hear Judy Dyble singing WKWTTG.

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
JohnH
Pace some moments

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 09:55:39 PM »

"Listen Listen" - The Sandy Denny Tribute
Might sell a few copies...

Listen, Listen - Sting
The Lady - Madonna