TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:23:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: if a Sandy Denny tribute album were to be made  (Read 19307 times)
JohnH
Pace some moments

Loc: Petersfield, Hampshire

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2005, 11:09:43 PM »

I don't think I'd buy it either, Jim, although I might give it a sneaky listen in HMV. But as I said, it would sell a few copies....the combined fanbase is pretty big!

And as for being haunted, well I hope she'd see the funny side.

Actually I think the main difficulty with doing a Sandy tribute is that her songs seem so personal and the music is really written for her phrasing (if that makes any sense!) - so maybe difficult for other singers to cover, outside the folk-rcok genre. Maybe.

John
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2005, 07:22:45 AM »

I agree. 

Personally I can't stand the Vikki Clayton album.  However "No Grey Faith: Secrets All Told... The Songs of Sandy Denny" is magnificent.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/sandy.denny/records/secretsalltold.html
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 07:43:29 AM by Barry » Logged

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2005, 12:15:20 PM »

I agree. 

Personally I can't stand the Vikki Clayton album.  However "No Grey Faith: Secrets All Told... The Songs of Sandy Denny" is magnificent.

http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/sandy.denny/records/secretsalltold.html

I do think the No Grey Faith album is excellent, and would recommend it highly as well.  I'm curious as to the strong statement of dislike for the VC album, and wonder if there is a particular aspect that bothers you (i.e., do you think Vicki's voice is ever suitable for the Sandy material, but just can't take a whole album of her doing those songs, or do you fault the arrangements, etc)?

This whole discussion reminds me that I have absolute faith that a tribute album of different artists covering Sandy's songs could be a wonderful thing, simply based on knowing how much I've enjoyed hearing Mary Black's version of By the Time It Gets Dark, RT's take on John the Gun from "Georgia On My Mind", Whippersnapper's "One Way Donkey Ride" and others.  I'm not sure such a tribute album should get as far afield as some of the suggestions on this thread, but I do find the dscussion interesting, and hope others have as well.

So I do reject the theory that the Sandy songs are too personal/idiosyncratic to hold up to various treatments, even as I acknowledge these alternate versions probably never would/could/should best the most definitive Sandy versions.  They certainly can rise to the great heights of their intrinsic lyric strengths under various musical and vocal interpretations, as I've seen/heard many times in the past and hope to see happen many times in the future.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
cathy

Loc: TRIBAL ESSEX

"Turbaned fool!"

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2005, 08:44:09 AM »

Being a bit conventional when it comes to cover versions of songs i love ,i would personally prefer Sandy's songs to be covered by women ....would love to hear Miranda Sykes cover a song or Chris While  Smiley Smiley

"I get the red mist and I'm off...it's very nasty!"
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »

i hope she haunts you

Haunted by Sandy Denny?  I highly recommend it!!!!

I have to agree with an inclusion of Chris While.  She could (can) belt out Sandy tune better the most that I've heard! 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: