TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:08:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foldup chairs and tents on field  (Read 64553 times)
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2005, 01:27:17 PM »

The thing that really p*ssed me off this year (and here I know I'll have to run for cover) was the large number of giant flags at eye level.

Same here, For us it was an inflatable pig on a pole. As for the kids, when they were little we just used to take them to the front and they slept on the floor. No tents or anything. Safer than further back, as fewer drunks are trying to find their way through!

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

This coming Crop my friends and I shall be doing what lots of other people do:

Setting up camp in the field. This will consist of:

A large sofa (with a standard lamp at each end so we can read the prog. when it gets dark) two highback armchairs, a carpet of around 200 square feet, a nest of tables to put our drinks on, assorted footstools, a fridge for the beer, a small electric fire in case it gets cold, a TV to watch the sports results, a large stereo in case we don't like any of the bands, a double bed for the kids to sleep in when they get tired, another double bed in case for when we get pissed, a further double bed in case anyone should drop by to our patch during the festival, a wardrobe to hang wet weather gear in, a chest of drawers to keep a few changes of clothes in, oh and a 40 foot flag pole (with the 20ft by 15 ft flag flying at ground level). The furniture will, of course need protecting from the elements, so we will probably need a roof. This will entail walls to support it.

The whole lot will fit just nicely in front of the sound tower, leaving just enough room between us and the stage to have a small white picket fence surrounded lawn for us to lounge on whilst listening to those bands we do want to see.

What do you mean "what about the rest of the audience"?

FCUK 'EM.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2005, 02:48:09 PM »

This coming Crop my friends and I shall be doing what lots of other people do:

Setting up camp in the field. This will consist of:

A large sofa (with a standard lamp at each end so we can read the prog. when it gets dark) two highback armchairs, a carpet of around 200 square feet, a nest of tables to put our drinks on, assorted footstools, a fridge for the beer, a small electric fire in case it gets cold, a TV to watch the sports results, a large stereo in case we don't like any of the bands, a double bed for the kids to sleep in when they get tired, another double bed in case for when we get pissed, a further double bed in case anyone should drop by to our patch during the festival, a wardrobe to hang wet weather gear in, a chest of drawers to keep a few changes of clothes in, oh and a 40 foot flag pole (with the 20ft by 15 ft flag flying at ground level). The furniture will, of course need protecting from the elements, so we will probably need a roof. This will entail walls to support it.

The whole lot will fit just nicely in front of the sound tower, leaving just enough room between us and the stage to have a small white picket fence surrounded lawn for us to lounge on whilst listening to those bands we do want to see.

What do you mean "what about the rest of the audience"?

FCUK 'EM.
Is it ok if I bring a can of petrol and some matches when I come a callin on your patch, Mark?

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2005, 02:49:02 PM »

don't you need planning permission for that Mark?
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2005, 03:02:41 PM »

No. It wont be a permanent building Grin

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »

SO it was you I saw carrying an armchair from a 3 piece suite on his head a couple of years ago.

I seriously considered filling an inflatable chair with helium to see if we could carry it in to the field on a piece of string but I didn't think the idea would get off the ground, literally.

If someone has an inflatable chair, can they

1) work out it's volume (submerse it in water and see how much is displaced)
and
2) weigh it.
I'll do the maths.

or
1) fill it with helium and see if it floats.

I reckon that light baloon from a couple of years back could support a chair and person. How about a load of them floating around the site.

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2005, 03:11:08 PM »

I would actually like one of those Umpires chairs from Wimblydon cos then I could see when I'm down the front, bit too big now to sit on anyones shoulders! LOL  Grin Tiara

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2005, 03:14:06 PM »

I would actually like one of those Umpires chairs from Wimblydon cos then I could see when I'm down the front, bit too big now to sit on anyones shoulders! LOL  Grin Tiara

Now, JJ, you know perfectly well that it's not because you're too big, it's simply because you sit the other way round.      Smiley

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2005, 03:14:55 PM »

Genius JJ

I wonder if a gas-adjustable office chair can be modified

I feel a trip to the tool cupboard coming on.

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2005, 03:25:45 PM »

I assume what everyone means by "tents" are the little beach hut things. No problem for me - the slope of the field means you can see over them, even if they are quite near. Obviously idiotic to put em up near the front.

And at night, where you kinda don't see them between the other clutter & promptly step on one....and a child, if inside. Again, all parents need to do is to put a torch or night-light inside 'em, but do they?.....

fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2005, 03:35:28 PM »

I would actually like one of those Umpires chairs from Wimblydon cos then I could see when I'm down the front, bit too big now to sit on anyones shoulders! LOL 

Now, JJ, you know perfectly well that it's not because you're too big, it's simply because you sit the other way round.    

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

I assume what everyone means by "tents" are the little beach hut things. No problem for me - the slope of the field means you can see over them, even if they are quite near. Obviously idiotic to put em up near the front.

And at night, where you kinda don't see them between the other clutter & promptly step on one....and a child, if inside. Again, all parents need to do is to put a torch or night-light inside 'em, but do they?.....

er, yes...

it'll be fine.......
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2005, 06:05:50 PM »

not very often, knowing how many I came across last year, in the dark, well in front of the sound tower....Grrrr

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2005, 12:50:47 PM »

not very often, knowing how many I came across last year, in the dark, well in front of the sound tower....Grrrr

You've just made the perfect case for Mic's luminous walk ways.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2005, 01:13:45 PM »

Only if the walk-ways go where I want to go....which in most cases it doesn't - and I'm returning to my place in the crowd.

Again, all parents need to do is to put a torch or night-light inside 'em

This is the obvious answer.
But personally, these yents shouldn't be up where there are a lot of standing audience, which does tend to be in front of the sound tower, after dark.
If people what the convenience of them, then there may be some inconvenience to go with them, in relocating further back up the field, before dusk. Alternatively, do what the majority with these things still do - pitch sensibly, further back than the tower.

Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2005, 01:22:36 PM »

Who needs a tent anyway? when ours were very little it was a case of  down to the front, park them on the floor and stand astride them. No tent, no loss of space and they don't get trodden on. What's more you can still dance, if a little strangely!

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
kevin

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2005, 02:25:55 PM »

Chris,Whats a Yent?
   Is it a yearning for a tent?
     Not going to be invaded by yents are We ?
       Makes Me feel much better about My limits on this thing Though when the yents appear.

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2005, 05:29:30 PM »

hmmm. yents and chairs aren't offensive in themselves, is the people plonking them any old where without thought that cause the offence

it'll be fine.......
AndrewBarker
n3wb

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2005, 02:35:20 PM »

I really don't think I'd have any chance of seeing little marked out lines on the ground anytime after nightfall on Thurs.  The 6X AND the fact that, actually, it's dark at night, would see to that.
Personally, I love the idea of taking as little as possible on to the field - just booze & fags (or is that banned now?). If you want to sit - just sit.
Anyway, given what is still the best goodwill around by at least 1000%, I'm sure that a nice mention from the stage about keeping gear above the tower would do it for virtually everyone, no?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2005, 03:50:07 PM »

Anyway, given what is still the best goodwill around by at least 1000%, I'm sure that a nice mention from the stage about keeping gear above the tower would do it for virtually everyone, no?

It would be nice to think so, wouldn't it?

Welcome Andrew, come and have a natter

Jude (one of the (many) welcomers) Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: