TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:00:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foldup chairs and tents on field  (Read 65082 times)
kevin

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2005, 03:22:40 PM »

Still think some form of say yellow marked footpaths would work easily.
The,banning of anything only gets peoples backs up.
If they fanned out from a point some 20 feet in front of sound tower? and just ask that no chairs be plced on them.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2005, 03:43:17 PM »

I see where you're coming from, Kevin, banning things ain't nice, but the yellow marking paint would soon get washed / rubbed off....

kevin

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2005, 03:56:28 PM »

I am sure if even it washed away, at least everyone would understand the need to be a bit tolerant and allow free pasage especially to the toilets, am reaching the age of  when you got to go you got to go. who sang that ?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2005, 04:02:05 PM »

Been tried with umbrellas, Kevin.....people in general don't give a toss for others, unfortunately....

Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2005, 04:11:12 PM »

I would have loved a marked out escape route last year as I had a bad bout of festival belly, and I must have pushed out of the way and trod on so many people in my rush to get to the top of the field.  Apologies if it was any of you!.  I did that twice but then decided it was best to go home (this was in the middle of the fairport set Sad)

Sian

In retropsect perhaps I should have just stayed at the top of the field!  I wasn't well!!

Not been for a while
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2005, 05:37:23 PM »

I would have loved a marked out escape route last year as I had a bad bout of festival belly, and I must have pushed out of the way and trod on so many people in my rush to get to the top of the field.  Apologies if it was any of you!.  I did that twice but then decided it was best to go home (this was in the middle of the fairport set Sad)

Sian

In retropsect perhaps I should have just stayed at the top of the field!  I wasn't well!!

One place you do not want to be suffering with an upset stomach is a festival. We took a friend to Cropredy a couple of years back and he actually brought laxatives with him. Eeeh we laughed at that one.

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2005, 05:43:11 PM »

Sian

One place you do not want to be suffering with an upset stomach is a festival. We took a friend to Cropredy a couple of years back and he actually brought laxatives with him. Eeeh we laughed at that one.

I don't remember very much about my first Cropredy (1979) as I spent most of it unconscious in the field somewhere after imbibing my last ever pints of cider. I do remember being woken up by a mate saying, "Come on Pete, it's nearly over. It's your last chance to hear Fairport." Well, he got that wrong, didn't he?
Auntiebobble

Loc: Cumbernauld, Scotland

Of The Clan McB

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2005, 11:32:04 PM »

I always sit just in front of the sound tower and I have to say that anytime it's dark and there is a band to dance to almost all of the chairs get folded up and stashed at the back along the fence - there are small clumps of folded chairs throughout the crowd but there are very few occasions when they are a problem - other than to very drunk folk who don't look where they are going - and even then there is usually someone to guide them past.
This works perfectly well for most people and I therefore don't think the "Enjoyment police" need to be called out on this one.  Roll Eyes
Most people are very considerate and try to think of those behind them.
Being fairly small and wanting to stand with my friends I didn't see much of Fairports sets at the first few Cropredys I attended, then I bought a stand on tool box thingy which brings me up to the height of normal folks so now I get to see too - luxury! But I always make sure I don't block anyone.
Let's all live and let live and enjoy what we have got - for we have much to be grateful for! Grin
Auntie Bobble
XX

Beats the sh** out of camping!
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:16 PM »

two well marked roues from the front to each corner & past the sound tower to the blank coridoor behind is the way to go I think. Of its well matked or staked out I don't think there would be a problem at all. Would greatly help those with chairs & those without chairs alike.

Also a marked route from the sounds stage & the two verticle pathways, to left & right, to alow people easy access too & from the bar & also the stalls surrounding the field. Ther is nothing worse than the current unessasary clambering that seems to go on & the odd route you have to take too & from where you have your rug or chairs & picnic hampers, other essentials etc..

A recognised good allowance between certain sets where an announcement can be made, to those who wish to fold up their chairs etc & take them back to tents etc for the start of the evenings festivities is also a good idea, in order not to miss any of the good music, at the end of the night.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 08:02:27 PM »

This is a joke, right ?

Marked roues ? .... Is that a big sign over my head when I am in my leslie Phillips Lady-Killer mode with my smoking jacket, cravat and bottle of something frisky ?

No - marked routes..... STAKED ROUTES !!! - can't see a problem ? - How about tripping over the bl**dy things - are you just tripping ?

This has got to be a wind-up !

Maybe we should have kit inspections too... sorry Nuthouse, that shirt is far too loud for a built up area (trues, as it goes)

Come on - it's a festival.... common sense needs to prevail  Undecided

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 08:06:41 PM »

I take back *everything* I said about the big screen.  Change *nothing* in the main field.  Ever.  Listen to no one, it's perfect as it is...

Nuthouse, that shirt is far too loud for a built up area, common sense needs to prevail  Undecided

Ain't that the truth, I still have to look away when I watch the Muffins video   Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
kevin

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 08:08:18 PM »

It is very strange but I can fully understsnd You, We must be reaching the same point of drunkness together. This I feel is a part of being a Fairport  addict,perhaps it should be made compllserrrry ,(loosing it? 0 Your allrite mate Your allrite.
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 08:11:44 PM »

Well, hello!

kevin

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2005, 08:27:56 PM »

Hello seem to know You,woops fallen over a silly chair.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2005, 08:37:53 PM »

Hello seem to know You,woops fallen over a silly chair.

That was unfortunate, are you ok  Huh  Here, have a free torch   Roll Eyes

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2005, 08:45:04 PM »

As some of you know, falling over chairs at the front of the field is my speciality.

If you ban them then there is nothing to break my fall as I stumble from the front of the stage to the top of the field during the evening. Please spare a thought for the old and infirm like me. Bare ground is hard on old hips (especially when marked with flourescent paint) Grin

Sandra

ps for those of you who have asked, I have heard that the woman I flattened when I fell over her i her chair not three feet from the front of the stage in 2003 is still making good progress, but now refuses to sit anywhere except dead centre at the back, and howls like a banshee every time she sees a woman in black Wink

kevin

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2005, 09:30:11 PM »

Sudden flash of inspiration,,,If someone would kindly volenteer to roll down hill each night at 8 pm and flatten all chairs,,hey presto no probleemo.   We could keep passing them back up until they get all the damn things.   problem though,,,if they pick up all yellow paint everyone will know who done it,solution all wear yellow.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 12:09:57 PM »

Let's try not to fall into the trap of over-legislating for every possible eventuality.  Just because our government tries to.

One day, someone might sprain their ankle jumping up and down in front of the stage...  We can't be having that - ban jumping up and down...

Sorry, feeling sar-car-stic today...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
kevin

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 02:11:34 PM »

I have a confession to make
We have a pair of these chairs they are cumfy,but We fold them up at eight cos We love to get near front and feel the vibes.   
markwood

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 02:43:49 PM »

Only my second post on this forum but I've only missed one Cropredy since 1987 so am I allowed in?!?

I always sit on the grass, forward of the sound tower and I have to admit, the tent/large chair thing does seem to be getting a trifle silly in recent years. The folding chairs with the cut off/short legs look like a great idea but it does now seem that every time I park myself down somewhere, a group of people come along and assemble a full scale replica of their living room and kitchen right in front of me....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: