TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:58:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foldup chairs and tents on field  (Read 65110 times)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »

Only my second post on this forum but I've only missed one Cropredy since 1987 so am I allowed in?!?

I always sit on the grass, forward of the sound tower and I have to admit, the tent/large chair thing does seem to be getting a trifle silly in recent years. The folding chairs with the cut off/short legs look like a great idea but it does now seem that every time I park myself down somewhere, a group of people come along and assemble a full scale replica of their living room and kitchen right in front of me....
Of course you are allowed in Mark! and most welcome you are too.  Post away to your hearts content and have fun.
Big Dave..................Squisher of chairs and breaker of ankles that get in the way  Grin  Fez

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »

two well marked roues from the front to each corner & past the sound tower to the blank coridoor behind is the way to go I think. Of its well matked or staked out I don't think there would be a problem at all. Would greatly help those with chairs & those without chairs alike.

And just how do you reach these routes? Yup, by climbing over people / chairs as you do at the moment!....THINK before engaging fingers, Taliesin. For a lot of people, it'll be just as quick to find their way to the sides as to the 'routes'....

Also a marked route
And how do you propose marking these routes so that they can be seen by everyone? You can't just mark the grass - no one will see it once the crowd is in place.....keep in mind the Health & Safety Act, won't you?.....You have thought about this, haven't you?!?!

A recognised good allowance between certain sets where an announcement can be made, to those who wish to fold up their chairs etc & take them back to tents etc for the start of the evenings festivities is also a good idea, in order not to miss any of the good music, at the end of the night.

This I can understand, but a) I can't see many take it up regardless and b) in that case, it's a waste of good music playing time.
I feel most people are too lazy. They'll also not want to take everything back, so what do they do? Abandon the stuff they want into the evening? & hope it's still there when they get back? Take that stuff back to the tent & bring it back to the arena? Not everyone is in groups....
You haven't given any of this carp much thought, have you?.....

Sorry to be blunt, but you've been around long enough to realise that ideas need to be thought through....

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 03:11:57 PM »

Only my second post on this forum but I've only missed one Cropredy since 1987 so am I allowed in?!?

I always sit on the grass, forward of the sound tower and I have to admit, the tent/large chair thing does seem to be getting a trifle silly in recent years. The folding chairs with the cut off/short legs look like a great idea but it does now seem that every time I park myself down somewhere, a group of people come along and assemble a full scale replica of their living room and kitchen right in front of me....

There was a family in front of us sitting on an inflatable sofa this year!
jones the steam
ahh huhn da hurm, hurnn nna nuh fnurd

half an idiot

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 03:19:31 PM »

OK, we have tents, and chairs, and we have been tutted at, but we were sitting behind other tents and chairs anyway and we felt no urge to moan at the people in front of us, i'm sure they had good reasons, just as we did, like children and pushchairs, the answer is simple, just don't complain.
if you're on a chair, at the front, and somebody stands in front of you, so you can't see, stand up, if the only place you can find to sit has a tent in front of it, stand up, if you want to dance, but are surrounded by people sitting on chairs, move somewhere else, just stop moaning about it, we are all in the same place, with the same options. make the most of the weekend, have fun, however you take it.

sorry colin, what's my password again..?
( please update regularly to kllrndy@yahoo.co.uk )
jones the steam

half an idiot

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 04:05:33 PM »

been told how to do pictures with posts now, so here's a design i made for the family to wear at last years crop...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 04:08:46 PM »

Nice one Jonesy !!!  Grin  Grin

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 04:20:38 PM »

the answer is simple, just don't complain.
if you're on a chair, at the front, and somebody stands in front of you, so you can't see, stand up, if the only place you can find to sit has a tent in front of it, stand up,

Some people use chairs because they can't stand (for a long time).....the tent things should definitely be back behind the sound tower!!!

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »

Some people use chairs because they can't stand (for a long time).....the tent things should definitely be back behind the sound tower!!!

Mic

Very true. Having taken my elderly parents a couple of times, they couldn't have managed without the chairs, and also with both my kids suffering from ME they're in the same boat as their grandparents. So we've used chairs for years, and always just level witht he sound tower. Wouldn't dream of using a tent though.

Robin

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2005, 04:37:36 PM »

There was a family in front of us sitting on an inflatable sofa this year!

Didn't you have a pin? Grin
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2005, 09:34:27 PM »

Nice one Jonesy !!!  Grin  Grin

Agreed - top stuff......

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2005, 09:37:12 PM »

Some people use chairs because they can't stand (for a long time).....

If they're much further forward than the sound tower, they stand the chance of being fallen over, or worse, have someone stand in front of them - they'd be far better off further up the field which would likely give them more of an unobstructed, safer view...

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2005, 11:06:01 PM »

Some people use chairs because they can't stand (for a long time).....

If they're much further forward than the sound tower, they stand the chance of being fallen over, or worse, have someone stand in front of them - they'd be far better off further up the field which would likely give them more of an unobstructed, safer view...

Well I didn't mean sitting by the rail Roll Eyes That's just asking to get squatted Shocked Like most things in life, it has to be tempered with a bit of reason Smiley

Mic

abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2005, 10:56:43 AM »

the answer is simple, just don't complain.
if you're on a chair, at the front, and somebody stands in front of you, so you can't see, stand up, if the only place you can find to sit has a tent in front of it, stand up,

Mic

mix i agree hat sometimes chairs are neccessary for whatever reason, ind i confess to having used tents to save my girls being trodden on as they slept in the dark, but surely people can compromise?  put them at the back or the side or something? 
there are still a number of people who actually like to get their head in a speaker and dance to the music...

it'll be fine.......
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2005, 11:13:24 AM »

Just a thought, for which I will probably be booed off the pitch, how about if there were those luminesent (?) flourescent (?)  shine in the dark Roll Eyes strips readily and cheaply available on the field?
Not everyone would bother I guess, but some might think they'd be preferable to getting squatted by an XXXXL middle aged woman that has left it dangerously late to get to the Loos Undecided  and some visibility would be better than none.

Ok, I've got me cork coat Wink

Mic

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2005, 11:15:35 AM »

The glo-stick thingys are normally available on the field Mic, most of the non-food stalls have them.  Wink

jones the steam

half an idiot

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2005, 11:20:17 AM »

our youngest sat on the lamp and we had to use half a dozen or so to read bedtime stories by...

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2005, 11:25:21 AM »

Didn't mean Glo sticks....I meant self adhesive strips like the ones you get for putting on school bags etc...  Do I mean 'reflective' perhaps Huh

Mic

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2005, 11:29:44 AM »

Think you probably did Mic!!!!   Grin Grin

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2005, 11:32:24 AM »

mix i agree hat sometimes chairs are neccessary for whatever reason, ind i confess to having used tents to save my girls being trodden on as they slept in the dark, but surely people can compromise?  put them at the back or the side or something? 
there are still a number of people who actually like to get their head in a speaker and dance to the music...

That's the point, Groove - you would think people that wish to use chairs / tents etc would realise that the front is for standees & dancing etc. and voluntarily set up towards the back....

But no, a large number seem to have brain failure - and the number seems to grow each year....which is why this thread started to discuss ways of making them engage brains by, unfortunately, imposing a rule....

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2005, 01:20:26 PM »

I assume what everyone means by "tents" are the little beach hut things. No problem for me - the slope of the field means you can see over them, even if they are quite near. And as someone said, they are brilliant for putting your kids in at night. And they provide shelter from the rain. Obviously idiotic to put em up near the front.

The thing that really p*ssed me off this year (and here I know I'll have to run for cover) was the large number of giant flags at eye level. Our view of the stage was completely obscured by a flag half way down the field at one stage - and we had to go and negotiate with the owners to lower it. Don't get me wrong - I love the flags (we've got one) - but they need to be very high or very low.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: