TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you like to see a big screen set up behind the sound tower at Cropredy? It would probably put up to £2 on the cost of your ticket.  (Voting closed: October 23, 2005, 03:31:42 PM)
Yes please - 29.7%
No thank you - I prefer Cropredy the way it is - 63.5%
Don't really mind - 6.8%

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Screen  (Read 73168 times)
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2005, 05:49:39 PM »

I was previously in favour of a big screen, however the more I read about it on here & the more I think about it. A simple portable telly at the loos would be all that would be needed...lol (humour...sort of)

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58:15 PM »

Is there a delay line between the stage and the sound tower speakers? I presume there must be.

Certainly at Cropredy 2002-ish they were experimenting with a delay between the two - it was really annoying if you were a bit betwixt and between though as you got a bit of both (live & delayed), like when there's two TVs on in the house, with the same channel on but one terrestial/one Sky.

(Apologies for the longest sentence in the world...ever, just passing  Smiley)

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2005, 06:21:47 PM »

The other thing (or is it one of the other things) that hasn't been mentioned yet is that to site a big scrren half way back in the field, keeping the sound towers where they are, would cause a loss of synch between sound and pictures.

That is an extremely good point!.....
The screen would have to be inline with the speaker towers to stay in sync...

Oi! Barry and Chris! Get back to school this minute!

It wouldn't matter where you put the screen. Pics travel at the speed of light which is fast enough to be instantaneous* . Sound travels at the speed of, erm, sound which is a lot slower. If the source of the sound is far away you will get a delay in hearing it. You wouldn't notice any delay in the picture though regardless of how far away it is.

(* as far as people in a field are concerned. Anyone who mentions stellar distances, astrophysics, etc will be pronounced off-topic and called a pedant!)

Having said that, electronics can cause a delay which can change the relationship between sound and vision. This can be worked to advantage. What you need to do is think about who is looking at the screen (i.e. the people at the back) and put a bit of artificial delay in the image so that what is shown is in time with what the majority of viewers are hearing. They do this on the main stage at Glastonbury so when you look at a screen from the back of the field it is roughly in time with the music - at least, not badly out of time. If you look at a screen from the front of the field it appears delayed compared to the stage.

Cheers

Nick (who thinks big screens at festivals are the equivalent of giant TVs in bars)

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2005, 06:25:03 PM »

Nick (who thinks big screens at festivals are the equivalent of giant TVs in bars)

Thats fair enough coming from someone who's twelve foot nine inches tall but for short arses like myself i'd love a big screen.

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2005, 06:28:25 PM »

shouldn't that be short arse screen..
soz, just couldn't resist Grin

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2005, 07:05:16 PM »

What you need to do is think about who is looking at the screen (i.e. the people at the back) and put a bit of artificial delay in the image so that what is shown is in time with what the majority of viewers are hearing.....If you look at a screen from the front of the field it appears delayed compared to the stage.

But the distance from the back to the stage is relatively short. Hence anyone not directly behind the screen (with a view past the screen to the stage) will get a very strange aparition....the screen out of time with the stage, but in time with what they're listening to....

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »

a very strange aparition....the screen out of time with the stage, but in time with what they're listening to....

But the 6X will cancel that out, surely   Cheesy

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2005, 07:45:42 PM »

What you need to do is think about who is looking at the screen (i.e. the people at the back) and put a bit of artificial delay in the image so that what is shown is in time with what the majority of viewers are hearing.....If you look at a screen from the front of the field it appears delayed compared to the stage.

But the distance from the back to the stage is relatively short. Hence anyone not directly behind the screen (with a view past the screen to the stage) will get a very strange aparition....the screen out of time with the stage, but in time with what they're listening to....

True but only when the screen is showing the whole stage, when the light show is out of sync. If the screen doesn't show the whole stage you don't notice the screen-stage sync-ness so much. You're going to get a delay at the back of the arena - that's inevitable - but from the back you can't see much detail of the stage so the timing of what you see of the stage doesn't matter so much. The screen shows close-ups where you can see things like strumming and bowing where the sync with the sound is more important.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2005, 08:53:10 AM »

Gawd luv us, glad I am not a scientist. Grin
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2005, 09:08:08 AM »

I think I'm with Nuts on this one.

I had a splendid view from the bar

and if I wanted to close (Kate Bush for 2006) I could walk down the front
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »

or you could walk straight down the middle.......................

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2005, 03:04:06 PM »

or you could walk straight down the middle.......................

only in my dreams anji
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »

Finally got round to putting my bit into this, by consulting the family. We're all in agreement that a screen would spoil the atmosphere and character. What I find particularly pleasing is that the children, whose expectations are far more technological agree. but then they've never missed a Cropredy all their lives, so maybe the ethos is now well established in them. So with the agreement of the family, my vote is going to the no camp.

Robin

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
KerenNorb

Loc: SouthWest

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2005, 12:18:01 AM »

When I want a great view of the band I'll go to a small venue on the wintour.

When I want to hear fine music filling a great natural amphitheatre, take in the stars, the flags and and the buzz I'll go to Croppers.
Just not about the view for me (though I do wander down to the front too).
But that's just me.

Phew!!!!!  Been out of touch for a while but luckily back here before closing date!!!!

Must agree with Dr M, its the whole ambience that is so great.  Far more relaxing to just be there and wander down for a quick'viewing'.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2005, 06:53:35 PM »

OOooo K,  seems pretty decisive.  I promise I won't mention it again   Lips Sealed

Now, how about a bar in each corner of the field as well as the main one on the left  Huh   Wink

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2005, 08:39:17 PM »

What a good idea - with each bar from a different brewery (OK, that won't happen but I can dream)  Undecided

You would still need directions though, GoatBoy  Lips Sealed

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2005, 08:50:49 PM »

You would still need directions though, GoatBoy  Lips Sealed

GoatBoy Cropredy Survival Secret #1 :

'Go to bar, buy beer, drink beer, dance, rinse, repeat'  Fez

...and don't get a gout attack  Roll Eyes

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2005, 11:19:15 PM »

Again - cost. Who is going to pay for the double amount of staff?....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:34 AM »

Again - cost. Who is going to pay for the double amount of staff?....
A bit of a spurious argument, I think. Since the bar manages to sell out its beer, there's obviously a demand that outstrips supply. I'm sure that staff can be found to help generate more profits.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2005, 09:15:57 AM »

Not at all - you'll sell a negligable extra amount of beer, for a higher cost basically, including staff (who do get paid!) and materials (lots of wood, etc...)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: