TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you like to see a big screen set up behind the sound tower at Cropredy? It would probably put up to £2 on the cost of your ticket.  (Voting closed: October 23, 2005, 03:31:42 PM)
Yes please - 29.7%
No thank you - I prefer Cropredy the way it is - 63.5%
Don't really mind - 6.8%

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Screen  (Read 73028 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2005, 09:32:14 AM »

"negligable"? Oh, ok. You're absolutely right.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2005, 07:25:28 PM »

The idea of having more than one bar is seriously flawed in my view.
How often do you hear the parting words of a relaxed and possibly confused Cropredy goer say to his or her partner, or friend. "I'm just going for a tiddle, see you at the bar in five minutes"
Try to imagine the utter confusion and the extent of the extra work load that would be thrust upon the already overstretched lost persons dept.at the festival.
Imagine the pathetic scene, " Which bar did he/she say, was it bar 5 in two minutes, or was it bar 2 in five minutes." I think by now you get my drift.
It is my view that one bar is enough, in fact in the past, one bar has proved to be more than enough for some..........
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2005, 07:36:11 PM »

There are already two bars  Undecided

There's the main one and there's a little one at the end of the ticket queue by the entrance Fez

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2005, 07:40:09 PM »

There's the main one and there's a little one at the end of the ticket queue by the entrance Fez

Cheers

Nick

I reckon two bars is plenty..I mean, you can always get a drink and pretty swiftly too. I am against big screens, extra bars and anything else newfangled. Blimey, they'll be after astroturf next!  Cheesy

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2005, 08:14:46 PM »

This one ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2005, 08:53:31 PM »

That's done it  Roll Eyes
I'm now sat here with a bottle of 6X Speckled Hen with Capers on full tilt grinning like it's next August already  Grin

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2005, 12:57:37 PM »

Cheers

Nick

The one they kindly put next to my tent - I thought it was a personal favour.  Wink

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2005, 07:42:10 PM »

Not at all - you'll sell a negligable extra amount of beer, for a higher cost basically, including staff (who do get paid!) and materials (lots of wood, etc...)

Do you mean negligugble? Glug a lug and all that...

Bet this gets taken off too....ta, mods.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2005, 08:35:32 PM »

OOooo K,  seems pretty decisive

Would be interesting to find out what the wider Cropredy audience thinks of the idea. 74 votes means we've canvassed the opinions of about 0.4% of the typical Cropredy gate.

Still, governments have been elected on less! Wink
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2005, 09:15:05 PM »

Would be interesting to find out what the wider Cropredy audience thinks of the idea. 74 votes means we've canvassed the opinions of about 0.4% of the typical Cropredy gate.

Yeah, but we're great  Grin

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2005, 12:24:25 PM »

Yeah, but we're great  Grin

Nicely put, Mr F.......nicely put !

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #91 on: November 13, 2005, 01:07:59 PM »

But it's a good, representative 0.4%. And less than 33% thought it a good idea.

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2005, 11:02:28 AM »

Without wishing to get too controversial - wasn't the phrasing of the vote a mite loaded, m'lud? "No thank you -  I prefer Cropredy the way it is."  Leading the witness, there, I think. A simple "Yes" "No" "Don't Know" might have provided a slightly different return.

And, yes, we are a self-selecting group on here - so not representative of the wider audience.

And I'm very glad the "I prefer Cropredy the way it is" mentality hasn't prevailed in the past - otherwise we'd be stuck with terrible loos, inadequate camping and not very good sound.
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2005, 11:10:53 AM »

Without wishing to get too controversial - wasn't the phrasing of the vote a mite loaded, m'lud? "No thank you -  I prefer Cropredy the way it is."  Leading the witness, there, I think. A simple "Yes" "No" "Don't Know" might have provided a slightly different return.

And, yes, we are a self-selecting group on here - so not representative of the wider audience.

And I'm very glad the "I prefer Cropredy the way it is" mentality hasn't prevailed in the past - otherwise we'd be stuck with terrible loos, inadequate camping and not very good sound.

You may be right, but going back over the thread, it seems that people have thought through the issues rather than just respond to the question, so I doubt if it made much difference.

Agree with you about the loos though!

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2005, 01:09:27 PM »

Ironically, I think exactly the opposite on all three of those.

I reckon first that the loos have actually got slightly worse over the years. I remember in the late 80s/early 90s the quality of the loos being commented on in revews in the national press. They're still streets ahead of the other major festivals though.

And with the exception of the bad weather years I also think the camping has remained pretty constant. I do remember the days when it was more of a free-for-all with parking and pitching but that was sorted out in the very early 90s. Apart from the addition of the marquee between fields 1, 2 and 3 (which was missing this year - a change for the worse) I can't think of any other change that's happened to the camping since then.

Oh, and the sound? I can recall only one year in the last 20 when the sound was not absolutely brilliant and that was 2004! Last year the sound seemed to get lost at the sides of the arena, particularly around the bar area. It was back to normal this year.

Keep Cropredy the way it is!

Contraversial? moi?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2005, 03:20:55 PM »

All I'm saying, Nick, is that it's important to be striving for improvement all the time. I'm sorry, but I was at Cropredy in 79 and there is absolutely no way it was exactly the same as it is now: change happens - and quite often for the better.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2005, 04:59:55 PM »

Hmmm - I thought it only fair to mention what the probable outcome of putting a screen up behind the sound tower would be - and this figure was based on sensible costings, with a member of this board obtaining a quote from a supplier or two.

That way, people could vote with all the info available to them. Voting blind, without knowing that there would be a cost implication to them, could have led to accusations of bias on my part. I think it's fair.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: