TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:52:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Would you like to see a big screen set up behind the sound tower at Cropredy? It would probably put up to £2 on the cost of your ticket.  (Voting closed: October 23, 2005, 03:31:42 PM)
Yes please - 29.7%
No thank you - I prefer Cropredy the way it is - 63.5%
Don't really mind - 6.8%

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Screen  (Read 73328 times)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« on: October 14, 2005, 03:59:54 PM »

Now that Cropredy 06 plans are underway - can I put in a plea. . .

Could there be a big screen above or beside the stage? The sound was fantastic this year and being able to see the acts from more than half way back would put the icing on the cake.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:03:24 PM »

Could there be a big screen above or beside the stage? The sound was fantastic this year and being able to see the acts from more than half way back would put the icing on the cake.

Oh.  Undecided I don't suppose you'd consider taking binoculars, instead, would you?

(this is not a drug reference)

( Grin Grin Grin Grin)

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 04:19:40 PM »

Oh.  Undecided I don't suppose you'd consider taking binoculars, instead, would you?

(this is not a drug reference)

( Grin Grin Grin Grin)

Not quite the same thing! A big screen can make the field feel really intimate.

(PS I tried taking binoculars once, but I just couldn't swallow them).
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 04:22:14 PM »

This topic was covered last year, and the killer response was that the screen would cost so much it would need to be sponsored, and we all know what more corporate sponsorship would do to Cropredy  Sad

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 04:29:54 PM »

More corporate sponsorship? I wasn't aware there was any (other than Wadworths).
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 12:54:16 AM »

(other than Wadworths).

Exactly.

Proper beer I can live with.

Cropredy sponsored by Pepsi and Burger King  Shocked

www.underminers.org
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 12:58:12 AM »

Imagine a wlk through McDonalds in the field....

...on the other hand, I'd rather not imagine, as I'd end up coming out with half a dozen quarter pounders with cheese.

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 11:02:41 AM »

Imagine a wlk through McDonalds in the field....

...on the other hand, I'd rather not imagine, as I'd end up coming out with half a dozen quarter pounders with c****e.

Taliesin Shocked wash your mouth out this instant young man!!!!!
Cropredy doesn't need McDonaldisation or Coca Colanisation   or the Colonal or BK   just extra supplies of 6X Wink Wink

The big screen idea is a good one, but not at the expense of Cropredy's integrity. Are there any wealthy (non-corporate) benefactors in the house? Grin

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 02:15:04 PM »

Alternatively, leave the deck chair for half an hour and walk down the front....

... it's not that far

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 02:44:12 PM »

This topic was covered last year, and the killer response was that the screen would cost so much it would need to be sponsored, and we all know what more corporate sponsorship would do to Cropredy  Sad

I did some research earlier in the year, a big screen on the back of the sound tower including rigging, labour etc for the weekend came in at approx. £20k.  £1.50 extra per ticket would easily cover it.

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 02:46:27 PM »

.........then it would rain the the big umbrellas would get in the way of the screen  Roll Eyes Cheesy

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 02:54:14 PM »

.........then it would rain the the big umbrellas would get in the way of the screen  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Oh no  Lips Sealed  They've not booked rain again for next year have they JJ  Huh

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 03:07:37 PM »

I did some research earlier in the year, a big screen on the back of the sound tower including rigging, labour etc for the weekend came in at approx. £20k.  £1.50 extra per ticket would easily cover it.

Sounds like a very small ticket price increase for a huge additional benefit!

Plus you could record the camera feed(s), which would offer possibilities... if not a full-on DVD release (the camera coverage wouldn't be extensive enough), then video footage of selected songs could be included on any subsequent live CD release.

It's far too glib to suggest that everyone who wants a better view should just go to the front. It's just not practical for more than a few hundred of the thousands of people who turn up, and I'm sure all of those thousands would like the option of a better view if one were available. There are probably many people who'd love to go down to the front for a better view, but can't, for many different reasons... if £1.50 extra per ticket means that they get an even better Cropredy experience, it would seem crazy not to give it very serious consideration for 2006.

Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 09:33:43 PM »

And how much would all the cameramen (can you say that?) cost for 3 days to make the DVD of a saleable quality, and how annoying would they be to the rest of the audience and photographers, unless there was a remote camera rig which would need someone to operate it?

Sorry, this isn't the Milton Keynes Bowl, it's a cow field and if you want to see the artistes I like the idea of people having to go to the front - it's real.

www.underminers.org
Woodpecker

Loc: Western Edge of The Black Country

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 09:34:56 PM »

I know these things are personal but I don't feel screens make shows more personal, in fact rather the reverse because, of course, you end up watching every little thing on the screen, your view is controlled by camera people and when the act is over you are left with the feeling that you've just watched a giant video or T.V. programme.  You lose the live music feel; Im with Nuthouse - join us down the front!!

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.    Chinese proverb.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 11:25:47 PM »

Glib glib glib glib glib

Oh! Too glib for you? Sorry.

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 09:17:11 AM »

And how much would all the cameramen (can you say that?) cost for 3 days to make the DVD of a saleable quality

Hmmm. I could have sworn I said "...not a full-on DVD release (the camera coverage wouldn't be extensive enough)".

Let's go and look...

Wow! So I did!  Roll Eyes

But even a single camera would open up the option of providing video clips on any CD release of the festival (for example).

I like the idea of people having to go to the front - it's real.

Equally real is the impracticality or impossibility - for a multitude of different reasons - of getting to the front for many of the 16,000-odd people who turn up to Cropredy. Just because you and I can doesn't mean that everybody else who wants to can, does it?

The majority in that field will always have a poor view of the stage. If less than two quid extra per ticket means that people rear of the sound tower (i.e. most people in the field) suddenly get a massively improved view, why should they be denied that?
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2005, 10:10:59 AM »

You could get 16,000 people at the front if everyone squeezed up.

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2005, 11:08:09 AM »

Just because you and I can doesn't mean that everybody else who wants to can, does it?

Indeed.  The front is not a child or frail or disabled person friendly place to be.
If you want to and can be at the front, that's great, if you can't an alternative view could be welcome.
As for cameras anything from an unmanned static one on the tower giving a full view of the stage (cheap) to one on the tower, two on the stage and one wandering around the crowd (not so cheap) could be accomodated.

Screen or no screen, I'll still be down the front for the likes of FC though, as long as I am physically able  Grin

martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2005, 11:15:22 AM »

The BIG screen debate raises it's ugly head once again, it must be getting close to Cris......  ooops! I almost swore then.
I would like to add my NO vote, for me it would detract from the whole ambiance of Cropredy. If Cropredy is blessed with glorious sunshine, a BIG screen would be next to useless, in normal daylight hours, images would be poor and barely visable, then in the two and a bit hours of darkness each evening, a screen would completely dominate the field and distract from the stage.
Most folks are happy to sit back, relax and listen to the music from their chosen vantage points.  Many Cropredy Festival attendees lay out their groundsheet's and blankets in the concert arena from quite early each morning, it's interesting to note the vast majority chose to set up, way back towards the top of the field, very few feel the need to be close to the stage for the whole day.
If you want to get close to the artists, just make your way to the bar.

PS. Who in their right mind would want to see David Hughes close up,.................. apart from Anji.  Tiara
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: