TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Autumn Dates  (Read 71695 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: August 23, 2005, 05:31:51 PM »

The UK dates are now on the website here.

The Euro (Danish & Dutch) dates prior to the UK ones can be found here.

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 07:23:05 PM »

Well! The gig on 7 Oct in Grolloo is listed as:
Koen, Groningen, NL
That should be
Zaal Hofsteenge, Grolloo, NL
Grolloo being some 25 miles away from Groningen. And Koen - me - definetely isn't in Groningen. And they're not playing at my place anyway (I wish!). It's at the local pub/venue.
I'll get in touch with the Danish promotor
(again)
(sigh)

I wonder why the Euro dates aren't listed on the FC site whereas the (later) UK dates are?

Koen

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »

They'll go up very soon - the webmaster is a tad busy.....

anne

Loc: hadrians wall cumbria

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 08:09:41 PM »

Hi, can anyone tell me if there is any car parking at the Red Lion Birmingham as we are thinking of taking our daughter to see Fairports ( to complete the brainwashing !!!).......Anne
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 09:33:15 PM »

The pub does have a car-park, yes....but it does fill up quickly. Get there promptly, unless you're happy to use the roadside parking.

anne

Loc: hadrians wall cumbria

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 09:46:55 PM »

Thanks Chris, now all I have to do is get the tickets!!! By the way my daughter is delighted (no really) to be coming along to her first ever Fairport gig at the ripe old age of 24.
kaylakins

Loc: Birmingham

"Charmingly witty. Quietly wise."

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 10:10:34 PM »

Anne: I live just down the road from the red lion! its in a residential area, and if you go up grove road, there are lots of residential streets, its a better area the further you go, but there are plenty of roads you could park on.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Dr. Seuss
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 10:08:14 AM »

Having had a peruse of the Autumn tour dates, which is preceded by the Euro tour and followed in quick succession by the Dylan Project tour and (hopefully) the winter tour, our Mrssrs (?sp!) Nicol and Pegg are looking to be on the road until sometime next Spring!  Whatever they're taking for energy, can I have some?!!!  Please?

Now - which gig(s) to go to?  Chipping Norton will be good as the first one and it's not a huge journey; I've never been to the 100 Club before, sounds posh; Finchley's the closest to me; Grays is possible; Newbury is just feasible.  Hmmm.  Think I'll see which one(s) are getting a good group from here...

There are a few gigs that I can't pin down properly (or rather, Multimap can't) as there are two places of the same name in different places...  Blakeney - Gloucestershire or Norfolk?  Chippenham - Wiltshire or Cambridgeshire?  Radcliffe - Northumberland or Greater Manchester?  I'm not expert enough on telephone area codes to be able to suss it.  Think I'll contact Mr Webmaster & ask if it can be clarified; although I bet I won't be the only person doing that!  I suppose if you're in the area and actually likely to go to the gig, you'll know anyway!

Finally, who susses out the routes for these things?  They seem to spend a lot of time cris-crossing the country and going back near to places they were a few days before having gone somewhere a long way away in between.  I guess a lot of it is to do with the venues' schedules but drawing the route on a UK map is an education in itself!

Anyhoo, that's a bit of a book!  Good luck lads, enjoy the tour and I'll catch up with you somewhere!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 11:05:32 AM »

I've never been to the 100 Club before, sounds posh; Finchley's the closest to me

The 100 Club is a typical London club - in a basement, plastic chairs & Tables, although the bar usually does stock real ale. In the middle of Oxford Street, twixt Oxford Circus & Tottenham Court Road. Certainly wouldn't secribe it as 'posh'.... Grin

The Arts Depot in Finchley used to be known as the Bull Arts Centre.....

There are a few gigs that I can't pin down properly (or rather, Multimap can't) as there are two places of the same name in different places...  Blakeney - Gloucestershire or Norfolk?  Chippenham - Wiltshire or Cambridgeshire?  Radcliffe - Northumberland or Greater Manchester?

My guess at Blakeney would be Norfolk - the venue (Harbour Room) rather gives it away..... Wink
Chippenham - Wiltshire - seems to be part of the Leisure Centre....sports hall gig?
Radcliffe - Greater Manchester....0161 phone number Wink

Finally, who susses out the routes for these things?  They seem to spend a lot of time cris-crossing the country and going back near to places they were a few days before having gone somewhere a long way away in between. 

One of the most expensive parts of touring is accommodation - so, the more times one can pass 'go' (i.e. homes in North Oxfordshire), the fewer times you have to stop out..... Wink Wink

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »

Radcliffe, Greater Manchester, my darlin of the MZ!   Grin
BD (ex pat Mancunian  Wink)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2005, 11:21:37 AM »

I've never been to the 100 Club before, sounds posh; Finchley's the closest to me

The 100 Club is a typical London club - in a basement, plastic chairs & Tables, although the bar usually does stock real ale. In the middle of Oxford Street, twixt Oxford Circus & Tottenham Court Road. Certainly wouldn't secribe it as 'posh'.... Grin

The Arts Depot in Finchley used to be known as the Bull Arts Centre.....

There are a few gigs that I can't pin down properly (or rather, Multimap can't) as there are two places of the same name in different places...  Blakeney - Gloucestershire or Norfolk?  Chippenham - Wiltshire or Cambridgeshire?  Radcliffe - Northumberland or Greater Manchester?

My guess at Blakeney would be Norfolk - the venue (Harbour Room) rather gives it away..... Wink
Chippenham - Wiltshire - seems to be part of the Leisure Centre....sports hall gig?
Radcliffe - Greater Manchester....0161 phone number Wink

Finally, who susses out the routes for these things?  They seem to spend a lot of time cris-crossing the country and going back near to places they were a few days before having gone somewhere a long way away in between. 

One of the most expensive parts of touring is accommodation - so, the more times one can pass 'go' (i.e. homes in North Oxfordshire), the fewer times you have to stop out..... Wink Wink

The man who knows all!!  Thanks for the words of wisdom Chris.  And I bet the occasional night at home goes down well with the lads and their families too.  Hadn't thought of it that way. Smiley

BD, you never did claim your ride (on the MZ before anyone starts!).  But then I never told you where we were camped either...

Boatgirl
I split my pink wellies

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 11:29:39 AM »

Finally, who susses out the routes for these things?  They seem to spend a lot of time cris-crossing the country and going back near to places they were a few days before having gone somewhere a long way away in between.  I guess a lot of it is to do with the venues' schedules but drawing the route on a UK map is an education in itself!

A lot of venues have restrictions preventing artists from performing at a nearby venue around the same time as it makes it more difficult to get bums on seats.

Come to Chipping Norton, it's small but perfectly formed...

"What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power, and genius in it." Goethe
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2005, 11:36:08 AM »

When was the last no-expense-spared tour? (Tour bus, traveling crew, Cupman and light show)

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2005, 11:41:24 AM »

When was the last no-expense-spared tour? (Tour bus, traveling crew, Cupman and light show)

When Ms rydeR was support......1999 - 2000?

Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2005, 11:52:46 AM »

Not Cup Man, BD. That was the year before annA, 1998.

DH's photo of Cup Man on tour is the only photographic evidence in the history of folk-rock.  Grin

Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2005, 11:55:20 AM »

Must dispute Cocker! There is a photo of cupman in Ms Ryder's tour diary.......presume it was taken that tour, or am I being usual naive self?  Grin

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2005, 12:20:58 PM »

Big Dave is right and I think that Cupman was also sighted lurking on stage at Cropredy 1999.

1999 might well have been the last Grand Wintour, but did it have the touring lights?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
David Hughes

I Can Explain

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005, 12:34:52 PM »

Must dispute Cocker! There is a photo of cupman in Ms Ryder's tour diary.......presume it was taken that tour, or am I being usual naive self?  Grin

The little madaM!

I think they had lights on annA's tour. Johnny Mellen was there I think.

But I'm not sure about Cup Man being on stage in 1999 was he? I thought that was '98 when I was a guest on the Saturday night?
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005, 12:37:26 PM »

Cupman??  Definitely not on the 2003 tour (not that I noticed anyway).  Why did I wait so long to discover them??  Cry

Struggling to imagine Fairport with stage lights and presumably flash-bangs and so on?  Bet Ric was in his element!

On a slightly different angle, anyone got lists of which venues were played on which tours?  Would like to know the last couple of times they hit Croydon as it was one of the last 2 or 3 times there that I first saw them and I can't for the life of me remember what year that was!  I'll try Expletive Delighted...

<additional>  Found it!  MUST have been 2003.

koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »

Well! The gig on 7 Oct in Grolloo is listed as:
Koen, Groningen, NL
That should be
Zaal Hofsteenge, Grolloo, NL

The Danish agent has now corrected it.
As Zaak Hofsteenge, Grollo - that's 2 errors in 3 words. I've only mailed the correct info like, umpteen times.
It must be Dutch to them.

Undecided
Koen
(gives up)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: