TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:57:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Folk Festival 2006  (Read 152515 times)
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2006, 10:25:58 AM »

Hi All, we are working on the pinkness  Grin. I don;t like the bog standard phpBB blue either...come over there and make it pink in spirit, if not in body !!!
T
Proper Job!

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »

I am, of course, not Bill Bailey - but the Avatar is scarily close to being recognisably me, or so I'm told.
Fi
Savoy

« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »

Are you part troll, even?  Grin
T
Proper Job!

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2006, 04:11:23 PM »

Definitely! Especially early mornings...
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2006, 08:46:41 PM »

I've given up trying to get into the new blue OFF forum.  It tells me my username and password don't match, or something.  But all the same, I'm really really really looking forward to Friday.  Woohoo and so on   Grin

Carolyn
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2006, 09:35:01 PM »

BellowHead has SOLD OUT, and there are no more season tickets, or Saturday DAY tickets left.

Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:42 PM »

Individual concert tickets are still available though (but not for the Bhead gig), so there is still lots to do -  i.e. On English Ground, Waterson:Carthy, Chris Wood and loads of FREE stuff down at the Castle - check the schedule at http://www.oxfordfolkfestival.com/2006/schedule.html. Alternatives for the Bellowhead gig are for the interesting Gamelan Orchestra at the Holywell Music Room and possibly a sesh in the festival bar or some of the other session pubs (Half Moon, Old Tom, FftMC) and fringe events at the Oxfolk ceilidh and "From Roots to Fruits" at the Vaults.

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2006, 11:33:59 PM »

Would I be right in thinking that those of us with season tickets who want to see Bellowhead should get there early?

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2006, 12:17:10 AM »

Yes. You will get in (we have carefully worked out the numbers), but it depends on whether you want to 'see' them or 'get in the groove'.

If you want to actually see them I would recommend the balcony. No drinks allowed but unrestricted view. If you want to dance stay downstairs - there is no way everyone will stay seated!

Know where I will be (probably under the stage at that point Sleepy).

As Pete says though, there are still plenty of tickets for the  Friday night ceilidh, Saturday afternoons concerts and all day Sunday, as well as the Holywell concerts. Also the free stuff at the Castle and the fringe events.

Most of all don't forget the Parade at 11.00am on Saturday, of only to see me in a yellow flouro jacket!

Sandra

Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »

Yes. You will get in (we have carefully worked out the numbers)

Thanks Sandy, it's a pity some other festival organisers aren't so considerate. Sometimes they sell so many individual tickets that the season ticket holders can get left out in the cold.

Anne

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Fi
Savoy

« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2006, 01:33:57 PM »

Sometimes they sell so many individual tickets that the season ticket holders can get left out in the cold.

I have never thought that was entirely fair, though I have to say the maths is quite complicated, as you have to account for probability rather than certainty (we could find 100 people go to the Cellar Bar for Morrison Steam Fayre and Luke Smith, hence and surprising us all) !!!  Grin

Gawd....I think I have breathed in too many laminating fumes... Sleepy

Cheers

Fi

issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2006, 03:02:28 PM »

Looking forward to dancing on saturday at the Castle and Cornmarket...  and hoping for nice weather!

but trying to dance Dillwyn to that tune which all the dancers have all been asked by the organisers to do was fairly hysterical at last nights practice...   Shocked Roll Eyes     

Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2006, 03:14:25 PM »

it's a pity some other festival organisers aren't so considerate. Sometimes they sell so many individual tickets that the season ticket holders can get left out in the cold.

Some festivals treat a ticket as an opportunity to join a queue to get in...

At Sidmouth, if you have a season ticket or individual concert ticket you get in one queue, if you are buying on the door you get in another queue. From about an hour before the gig, ticketed people are allowed to go in unless the venue is full. 10 or so minutes before the start, unticketed people can pay to enter and fill up any remaining space. This all means, even if you've bought a full season ticket you can still miss out on the gig if you don't arrive promptly.

The solution? Come to Oxford Folk Fest!  Cheesy

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2006, 03:42:20 PM »

Hoorah because if we miss Bellowhead there'll be tears! 

I'm looking forward to the promise of Snaketown (and trying not to think about their name too much  Sad ) with their hurdy gurdy.

I'm off tomorrow and Friday so see you there   Grin Grin Grin

Carolyn.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2006, 04:28:24 PM »

Snaketown are a new bunch, formed very recently from the ashes of a band called Fiendhandle - the same Hurdy Gurdy player at least.

No idea how similar the sounds of the two bands are but if you go to http://www.fiendhandle.com/ you can find a couple of tracks to listen to.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Fi
Savoy

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2006, 05:24:33 PM »

but trying to dance Dillwyn to that tune which all the dancers have all been asked by the organisers to do was fairly hysterical at last nights practice...   Shocked Roll Eyes     

Issy

I wonder if that's the one written for us by Squeezy?! I hope I get chance to see your attempt Issy  Grin

Cheers

Fi
Pete Standing
Cheesy Wonder

Loc: Oxford UK

fka Cheesy

« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »

Issy

I wonder if that's the one written for us by Squeezy?! I hope I get chance to see your attempt Issy  Grin

Cheers

Fi

Me thinks from overhearing Steve Griffiths is that it is Old Tom of Oxford, but that was a while ago now.

If the devil is so bad, why has he got all the best tunes?
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2006, 06:06:17 PM »

Issy

Cheers
Fi

Me thinks from overhearing Steve Griffiths is that it is Old Tom of Oxford, but that was a while ago now.

Oh yes!   Old Tom it is.. kind of Cotswold, and slows down periodically  Undecided    May suit Cotswold sides..  but otherwise could be amusing to watch but not necessarily to dance too  Shocked    The answer is probably to drink a lot and have fun regardless..

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2006, 07:09:07 PM »

Blimey the counter has gone under 24 hours. DON'T PANIC!

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2006, 07:10:34 PM »

REALLY looking forward to it! Grin

Errm, is there any kind of Talkawhilers meet up before the Friday session. Have I missed something?

Gower Flower, thoroughly determined to enjoy herself Roll Eyes

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: